Isle of White. Advise please. (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello everyone.
We are after a bit of advise from anyone who has visited the I.O.W. please.
We are booked onto a commercial site Link Removed for the whole weeks visit next week.
Its at the right hand side of the island as you look at it on the map.
We wondered if anyone knew of any small cl type sites or even wild camping spots they could recommend , anywhere on the island ?

Just incase we dont like the commercial site :RollEyes:

Dont get me wrong , it looks very nice in the brochure , not too big and it's also the beginning of the season, but it is the school holidays, and we didn't like our 1 night at Haven , Primrose Valley :Eeek:

We haven't got anything planned for the weeks trip apart from a cable car ride up to see the needles . ( I'm going to concur my height fear , hopefully , in one!)

We plan on getting out and about on the island ,every day. What ever the weather. Of course we are hoping for this weather to stay :Cool:

So if anyone could recommend anywhere they have been , whilst there, we would be very grateful.
Or anywhere to avoid too .
Also if anyone could recommend car parks that would take the MH whilst out and about.
We are taking all the bikes and our new doggy trailer , so we an take the dogs everywhere with us.
If anywheres a long hilly trek away , we can of course take the MH too.
So get your thinking caps on please.

Thanks
Bev

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
The site has is own private beach and dogs are allowed on it ( certain breads arnt allowed on the site even, and only 2 dogs per unit. )
They have to be kept on a lead etc.

As for the other beaches, we've been told that there are areas on most of the beaches where you can go with them as long as your a responsible dog owner, lead pooh bags etc.
Its the only reason we are taking them , they would have had to have a stay at grandma Dots house otherwise. As it wouldnt have been fair on the kids .
Bev:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
The isle of wight has some really lovely places, i lived there for 9 years with hubby being an islander its a lovely lace to visit but very expensive to get off!!! Shanklin has 2 camp sites one is ninham parks and apse heath the latter is very quiet but ninham has most facilities with lots of kids getting there especially this coming week, you should enjoy it in whitecliff bay though it has soeem wonderful views and i gather its one of the most popular holiday parks there. dont know much about the west of the island being more sedate over there but there is one called the orchards which I think is a cc club one you mention the cable car whch is at the needles I was going to say that Alum bay is the most visited on the island as the most breathtaking views but also dont forget to visit where I lived which is Godshill where there are thatthed cottages and a lovely little model village, have a good time anyway I am sure you will and the sun nearly always shines there, I used to phone my kids in Wales and tell them I was in a bikini:RollEyes: and it was invarioubly raining in wales, no surprise there then!!!:whatthe:

chrisshipp

Free Member
Jul 28, 2009
Funster No
We did a lovely bike ride last Saturday (Newbury was a bridge too far!!) - goes along the old railway line from Cowes to Newport - well signposted and you end up at the Bargeman's Rest in Newport - fish & chips to die for!!

Link Removed

The New Inn in Shalfleet is always highly recommended although I haven't tried it myself.

Try the Garlic Farm http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/ as well...

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi Ralph and Bev, we've taken our MH to the Isle of Wight several times over the past few years and have really loved it each time. Be prepared for roads of, let's say, less than billiard-table smoothness, and take note of some of the 6' width restriction signs. Generally speaking, if the road is a bus route then a motorhome will be fine.

The first time we went we stayed on a CL at the golf club in Freshwater Bay. Lovely quiet spot, with superb dog walk across the golf course and up onto the cliffs. Alum Bay is, to be honest, a bit of a tatty tourist trap but the few up there is great, and you'll enjoy the cable car. Dogs are OK on the beach there, by the way.

Ventnor is one of our favourite places, and if you like fresh seafood then try Salty's at Yarmouth.

We've never had any real trouble finding places to park, but we've always been outside the peak holiday period (ie we've gone in April and September when dogs are allowed on more beaches).

Sure you'll have a lovely time if you settle back into the island's pace of life, and maybe avoid the more obvious touristy places at half term. Yes, Godshill is lovely and there's an absolutely massive car park there. We've used the coach bays at Shanklin Old Village and always got away with it, and there's a coach/lorry park at Ventnor. Going down the narrow windy road at Shanklin is not for the faint-hearted, but we've done if and lived to tell the tale (and find the car park)!

The two other campsites we've used are Southlands (now CC and possibly closed for what they are pleased to call 'upgrading') and The Orchards, which we found a bit too busy for our liking.

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Hi Ralph & Bev

When I was little (many many moons ago) mum and dad took me to Isle of Wight a couple of times. We loved the island with loads to see and do but one of the places that I remember the most is:

Link Removed

We used to go in the evening as it was all lit up. Looking at the website it looks like it closes at 5pm at the latest so may be an evening visit is not available now. However it also looks like there are loads more to see anyway - well worth a visit - you will both love it as well as the kids.

Have a great time.

Pammy

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
We spent many a good holiday at Whitecliff bay, from memory the Camping site is set back a bit from the main site, a couple of mins walk but far enough to be quieter.

The beach is great the area is good for getting around, we found as the island isnt so big leave the van behind take the bus / train or a nice walk along the coast.
But be prepared for a very laid back relaxed holiday atmosphere.:thumb:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks for all the info so far everyone. I'm glad its laid back and relaxed. Some good tips on there for us , and i love sea food mmmmmm
Keep em coming. I'm going to make a nice list of things for us to do.
Bev:thumb:

wills5138

Free Member
Apr 9, 2008
Nort West Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Hi,
We went to Whitefield Forest just after Easter.
Smashing site, fantastic facilities and I cannot see why you would want to move on from there. Regarding parking, we didn't find any problems at all. Only saw one car park with height barriers and after touring on the mainland for a few years, the attitude to campers/motorhomes seemed to be quite relaxed on the Island.
As has been mentioned, some of the roads can be a bit narrow but I noticed that people seemed to drive slower out there so it wasn't a problem.
Plenty to see and do, when you get the ferry, looks out for the free guides and what's on mags. That will give you plenty of ideas.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Just going to bump this up to see if any more of you funsters can add to all the info we have already gained.
We dont go until Saturday morning.:Cool:
Thanks again
Bev

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
There are plenty of places to go and see, depending what the kids like, here is a short list you may find interesting...or not.:Smile:

Osborne House
Robin Hill
Blackgang Chine
Needles Park
Carisbrooke Castle
Amazon World
Butterfly World

Plus there`s the Ice rink, bowling alley, speedway (tues nights), oodles of footpaths and coastal walks, cycle tracks, country pubs that serve nice grub, beaches etc etc.........

I don`t think a week will be long enough ::bigsmile:

Oh yeh, the roads are diabolical, some are very narrow with high hedges, most are bumpy with many potholes, just be grateful you don`t have to use them everyday like me! :RollEyes:

Have fun!

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Just remembered another seafood place for you to try - Crab and Lobster at Bembridge. Great view overlooking the sea as well. Re Salty's in Yarmouth, please bear in mind that if you order lobster it will come as just that, a lobster with a pair of nut-cracker-type things to get the meat out of the claws. Oh, and a bowl of skinny chips. Fabulous! Good real ale, too.

If you pop upstairs you'll see the two chairs upon which the Royal Posteriors of William and Harry were cushioned while tucking into fish and chips.

Hope you have a great time wherever you end up.

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Hi Bev & Kev!
I live on the Island, and as others have said, the roads are mostly dreadful!
Potholes were bad enough before this winter - so take care if you get off the main roads.
There is a CL type site near us at Thorness (next to the Haven holiday park) I think it's C&C Club, but it's just a field with great views really. The Haven campsite at Thorness has been improved recently, so you might like it there now. Also, The Orchards at Wellow looks good with a nice pool etc.

Blackgang Chine and Robin Hill have 'return for free in 7 days' entry.
Carisbrooke Castle is great for kids, but expensive, as is Osbourne House.
There is a good swimming pool at Sandown, with parking suitable for motorcaravans.
If you want to walk up to Tennyson memorial from Freshwater, the car park is a no-no, but you can usually park just round the corner on the main road from Yarmouth.
Many beaches are closed to dogs for the summer months, apart from certain ends, so it may be wise to check these out.
If there's anything else you might want to know about the Island, don't hesitate to ask and I'll do my best to answer ::bigsmile:
Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Well we returned from the I.O.W. on Saturday , and we will definitely be visiting again. There was so much to do and see , we didn't even scratch the surface.

I have said before , that holidaying , in the MH wasn't really for us .
We prefer to do the going abroad for 2 weeks twice a year on a plane till the kids have flown the nest, and just use the MH for regular weekend use.
More down to sun , eating out , being looked after, and time , being fixed to 2 week slots , than anything else , but this week has changed our mind.

We all really enjoyed our week long stay. It was brilliant.
Granted , it was cracking the flags , bar 1 day, when it was drizzly in the morning.
The Sky's were cloudless and blue . You could have been anywhere in the world. Ended up with a lovely tan:thumb:

It would have been totally different if we had been there this week though.
Probably have put me right off !!
Will it ever stop raining?

As for the White Cliff Bay site , well it wasn't like our haven experience. Thank goodness .
No fighting , or arrests and no chavvy f' ing and jeffing grandparents !!
Though we didn't really use the club bar with the entertainment, preferring the quieter one nearer the beach.

And we ended up being upgraded ! The site manager had given our original spot to someone else :Doh: and put us on the rally field with electric.
This we didn't mind , as we rally most weekends , it was the fact that as the day went on , more and more people started to pitch up around us. :Sad:
Tents , caravans , MH's all very near, and getting nearer. After a quick word with the very stressed out manager , it was bank holiday ,He said to look for somewhere else.

When I'd found somewhere he told me put Isaac and his bike on it , as it was a bit of a free for all. He wasn't kidding.
Infact it was utter chaos.
Caravans cars MH's queuing up outside the site both ways in 24deg . Blocking the road to regular users and buses. The site were handing out free drinks to the occupants.

We found a lovely pitch , where Isaac sat with his bike ,to reserve it , Whilst i went on my bike to fetch Ralph the other kids and the MH .
We ended up with a fully serviced pitch, elsan grey water etc at the very top back corner of the site. For no extra charge.
Dont know how i wangled it . But it definitely made the stay at the site a pleasure.
We had lovely views and no one at the back or one side of us. Plenty space for the dogs , with lots of shade at the back of the pitch. Very quiet .
All this for £135 for the week , including the ferry. For 5 and 2 dogs that ain't half bad.

As for the roads and pot holes. Well it wasn't as bad as we expected. probably cos we are from Yorkshire and are used to driving on roads like that , out and about in our countryside!

Ralph cooked on the cadac every night. We ate out through the day. Had plenty cream teas , and sea food.
Infact all i did was wash up, and the kids did that sometimes. So thats probably made it more like a proper holiday too.
I may get some pics on here later of our experience, if i can fathom out how to. But we shall definitely be visiting again. Though we shall try a less commercial site on the Yarmouth side next time. Probably at the begining of the six week holls.
Thanks for all the advice. It was duly noted and used .:thumb:
Bev

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Hi Bev :Smile:

So pleased you enjoyed your week over here!
re the rain - well it's not been too bad - only a bit yesterday late afternoon, loads in the night, and now it's brilliant sunshine! They don't call it the sunshine isle for nothing ::bigsmile:

You might want to try the Orchards site near Wellow - they have a lovely pool, plus takeaways etc. not actually stayed there, but it looks peaceful and probably more your kind of thing.

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
All this for £135 for the week , including the ferry. For 5 and 2 dogs that ain't half bad.

Just to let you know how much of a concession us islanders get on the ferries, I looked for a booking to go to Stratford on friday, coming back sunday, so just a weekend trip.

Wightlink Fishbourne/Portsmouth £90.50

Wightlink Yarmouth/Lymington £121.00

Red Funnel Cowes/Southampton £146.00

That is just the ferry fare, all for around the same time of day, and they say we get it cheaper than you lot in `the north island`

:Angry::shout::Angry:

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Glad you enjoyed your trip though Ralph and Bev. Allie is right, the Orchards site is very nice, not too commercial, nice pool, proper side of the island for views, walks, and more chance of an uncrowded beach. If you want a bit more out of the way try somewhere along the coast like the Brighstone site.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back