Where are the other solo motoroamers? (1 Viewer)

Karen1

Free Member
Jun 7, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Just to say hi to all fellow campers.

Although I haven't 'motorhomed' - well in my case - 'campervanned' for long, I've got plenty of experience now, having just returned from my second three month trip on the Continent - France/Spain/Gibraltar/Portugal last year; Switzerland/Italy/San Marino/France this year... I heard about this forum when I was staying at Lake Garda a few weeks back.

So far I've driven 14,000 miles in my little van, my 'VERY EARLY retirement present to myself', 18 months ago. It's a Toyota HiAce conversion and is called Trevor.

Always happy to share info. I stay mostly on ACSI sites for the greater security, but also like France Passion and the occasional aire if there are others around or if they're in a quiet little village or similar.

And although I meet lovely people I always hope too that I will occasionally meet others travelling alone - I know you're out there as the campsite people often tell me they've seen you!!!!

I enjoy the freedom of travelling alone but I admit to sometimes getting fed up with locking and unlocking the van and other stuff every time I have to walk away from it.... and a drink or a pizza out is much easier if there's someone else to share the table with - otherwise I end up staring at the locals!!

I've go a few gripes too - including the continental sites with the Chemical loo disposal point in the GENTS toilet - so I can't find it!!!! And why do I nearly always have to pay for another person and a dog... I feel obliged to take two showers a day... although just occasionally someone will suggest that I'd get a better price without ACSI or by using my CCI card to get discount - but it's rare!!

The latest trip in particular got a bit lonely - with very few Brits and indeed very few people to speak to in any language except Italian for weeks on end. (At one site in Alberello, southern Italy there was only myself and a stray dog staying on the whole site!!!)....

Still hoping to do Austria/Slovenia./Croatia (when it stops raining there!) but thinking of heading to Benelux and may be even up to Scandanavia for a few weeks in July/August - but still flexible and open to new ideas.

Happy camping...
Karen :Cool:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Karen, welcome to the fun, there is a solo travelers section on the forum, I see you are from zomerzet so hope you will consider joining us for the Shepton Mallet show in September. The will be a few singles there as well.
Link Removed

we also have an active chatroom do drop in and say hi. By the way our motorhome is also called Trevor.

welcome.gif

Wildmanfirelogo4-1.jpg

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Karen, welcome to the fun:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Karen, I too am always disappointed how few other solo travellers there are. Hopefully we will meet up at a rally some time.:Smile: Joy

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi & welcome :thumb: not solo, but sometimes wish I was :ROFLMAO:
terry

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I travel on my own now although Bruno is a great companion.

Welcome to the forum BTW::bigsmile:

territo

Free Member
May 16, 2009
In motorhome or in peru
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks for the above about the loners club. I am also a full time single traveler who gets a bit lonely at times.

I have traveled widely in Europe without problem but I still think it is brave of the lady to do the trips alone and I admire her for it.

I could be available to go on any trips and have my own van.

::bigsmile:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Hi Karen, I too am always disappointed how few other solo travellers there are. Hopefully we will meet up at a rally some time.:Smile: Joy

i go solo her indoors dont , like it( camping that is,) but have been to a couple of shows, Newbury and last weekend Stratford ,and as a newbie never found to be left out by fellow funsters:Smile:

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
Hi Karen I travel solo some times with my dog and my partener flys out to meet me for a few weeks then flys back. I must admit I will pester I mean speak to anybody does not matter which country they are from. I was at Alberello in April and there was not many Italians who could speak English down southern Italy so got speaken to the Germans who mostly speak English must also say the sites we stayed at where very quiet as well just glad I have got the dog with me for company

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Just to say hi to all fellow campers.

:welcome:

So far I've driven 14,000 miles in my little van, my 'VERY EARLY retirement present to myself', 18 months ago. It's a Toyota HiAce conversion and is called Trevor.
Wow...I'm impressed...I've covered about 2K in just over 3 months but all in the UK...can't see me venturing further afield for a while yet.

Nice van too...the Devon Sunrise was on my shortlist when I was looking for my first MH.

I enjoy the freedom of travelling alone but I admit to sometimes getting fed up with locking and unlocking the van and other stuff every time I have to walk away from it....
I actually feel guilty locking my Doblo...all the lights flash as the central locking comes on...because I imagine the other campers feeling insulted that I don't trust them. Especially if I've only just chatted with them ::bigsmile:

And why do I nearly always have to pay for another person and a dog...
Don't get me started on that one...

Happy Hippy

Free Member
May 16, 2010
In my bus
Funster No
MH
Scruffy old bus
Exp
Full time since April 2007, part time since early 80's
I travel solo all year round but only in the UK and never on paying camp sites. I am usually in Somerset for more than half the year though so if you ever pass a scruffy blue bus at the roadside that might well be me :Smile:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Welcome Karen,

I'm a solo filltimer but only travel around the UK as I cant afford to retire early yet.................but I plan to ::bigsmile:

See you at Shepton in a few months chuck :thumb:

Boo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back