Free Member
Nov 28, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
newbie!
Been searching on the net re TVs in MHs, and getting a bit confused. Would appreciate some clarification please?
Sometimes we have hook-up, other times just 12v - do I need to buy a special 12v TV or can I just take our ordinary 17" LCD TV from the house? Our TV doesn't have dual voltage, but I think I've read that if you get an inverter that would work. Is that right? If so, any recommendations on which is best to buy?
By the aerial point in the MH is a socket for a 12v plug (is it called a clipsal plug? - looks like it takes 2 flat pins) but I haven't seen any TVs on the net which come supplied with such plugs, only the cigarette lighter type plugs. Do you get a choice of leads, or do you need an adapter to use that type of plug - the only cigar lighter/power outlet I've seen in the van seems to be in the cab (unless I'm as unobservant as I sound - maybe other Avantgarde or Autoquest 180 drivers can advise?), and that's not practical for the rear lounge area. Can you get an inverter (if that's what you need?) fitted with such plugs?
Then I get confused over regulators - or are they call stabilisers? - the things to protect the TV from changes in voltage as the leisure battery's charge is worn down. Are these necessary? Have I got it right, some 12v TVs come with inbuilt stabilisers, others you have to buy separately? If you run a normal house TV with an inverter, do you then need a stabiliser as well, or do the inverters protect from fluctuations as well?
All seems so complicated for something so simple :whatthe:
Would prefer just to use our portable LCD TV in the MH (esp as it has an inbuilt DVD player - ideal for the kids :Smile:), rather than forking out over £200 on a new 12v TV specifically for the MH, but don't know if possible. Please advise.
Thanks for your help.

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi,
You can use an inverter but it will take a lot of battery for not a lot of viewing, the 'two flat pins' plug you get an adapter and then can use 'cigarette' type plug, you don't need to spend over £200 on a 12v TV with DVD, look around eapecially online.
If looking in shops physically the 12v TV will not be 'hard wired'.
Look on internet put ac dc tv into google, or Ebay shops anywhere really, when you think you've found the right tv just ask google for a review of make & model.
:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
argos have a cheap inverter Link Removed

or i can recommend this tv Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Been searching on the net re TVs in MHs, and getting a bit confused. Would appreciate some clarification please?

Sometimes we have hook-up, other times just 12v - do I need to buy a special 12v TV (not necessarily) or can I just take our ordinary 17" LCD TV from the house? (possibly)

Our TV doesn't have dual voltage, but I think I've read that if you get an inverter that would work. Is that right? (with a decent inverter, you should be able to run a domestic TV - it may also prove useful for other 230v equpment. It isn't the way I choose to go, but others swear by it) If so, any recommendations on which is best to buy? (Can't recommend, as I don't use one, but there'll be someone along soon :winky:)

By the aerial point in the MH is a socket for a 12v plug (is it called a clipsal plug? - looks like it takes 2 flat pins) but I haven't seen any TVs on the net which come supplied with such plugs, only the cigarette lighter type plugs. Do you get a choice of leads, or do you need an adapter to use that type of plug - the only cigar lighter/power outlet I've seen in the van seems to be in the cab (unless I'm as unobservant as I sound - maybe other Avantgarde or Autoquest 180 drivers can advise?), and that's not practical for the rear lounge area. (You can either adapt a 12v lead by cutting the existing plug off and fitting the two pin plug - available at accessory shops, and you need to be careful about polarity when you fit - or you can buy an adapter, which is the two-pin plug with a cigar lighter socket wired to it - this latter is useful if you have other 12v equipment with a cigar lighter plug).

Can you get an inverter (if that's what you need?) fitted with such plugs? (It would be unusual for an inverter to come with such a plug, and in fact, if you were going the inverter route you would probably - because of current draw, have to wire it independently back to the batteries, with correct gauge wiring and fuse)

Then I get confused over regulators - or are they call stabilisers? - the things to protect the TV from changes in voltage as the leisure battery's charge is worn down. Are these necessary? Have I got it right, some 12v TVs come with inbuilt stabilisers, others you have to buy separately? (TVs specifically for the leisure market tend to come with built-in stabilisation - but also tend to be expensive. A number of TVs built for the domestic market (typically those up to 15in or so, and somewhat cheaper than the former category), come with a separate 'power brick' converting mains into 12v supply for the TV. Opinion is divided as to whether a stabiliser is required if these are connected directly to the 'van 12v supply. Personally, I use a Tesco 15 in widescreen, bought for £100, which is great for viewing angle and sound (but unfortunately isn't the one currently on sale) with an Amperor stabiliser. It is possible for voltage to go up to around 14.5v when on hook-up and charging, and I don't want to take the risk).

If you run a normal house TV with an inverter, do you then need a stabiliser as well, or do the inverters protect from fluctuations as well? (with a decent inverter you would not need a stabiliser)

All seems so complicated for something so simple :whatthe:

Would prefer just to use our portable LCD TV in the MH (esp as it has an inbuilt DVD player - ideal for the kids :Smile:), rather than forking out over £200 on a new 12v TV specifically for the MH, but don't know if possible. Please advise.
Thanks for your help.

Hope the above helps

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi see att,
terry

Attachments

• SIMPLE GUIDE TO 12 VOLT LCD TV FOR MOTORHOMES.doc
    28.5 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
argos have a cheap inverter Link Removed

These inverters from Argos have noisy fan.
I bought one and returned it because of this noise as it would interfere with watching TV.
Very robust construction though.
I got one from Lidl, smaller (150W) but much quieter.I only have a small 12V TV, bought off Ebay for £50, the inverter runs my Sky box.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back