12v air compressor ? that will actualy inflate a tyre ? (1 Viewer)

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Had a couple but disappointed with both, all right for topping up the bike/car/trl but struggled above 40 psi so not a lot of use for the camper.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Yes, I got one from Lidle some time ago and it says it will inflate to 110 psi,but have never tried it at that pressure.
I have tried it at 90 psi on the RV and it works fine for topping up pressure but I think I would have a long wait from flat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
terry if you want a good one .they arent cheap go to wh smiths or your local megshop .look in the landrover mags .anything from 80quid up . i use gast oilless compressor on the truck but they are megga price 600quid . need it for the airbrakes on trailer but it does tyres a treat . look for matt savage in the l.r.mags he does a few about 100-200 or paddock do some from40 quid up . dont know how good .
good ones arent cheap . cheers alan.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I bought a cheapo from Lidil 4 years ago and use it to top up my tyres to 80lb quite often, the trick is to only run the pump for 10 min the let it cool for 15 min. a bit long winded (he he) but it works.

PS it also doubles up a an air pump for Sandra's medication when her Asama gets bad.

Doug...

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi thanks all, it is for a mate :thumb: I SHALL PASS ON YOUR COMMENTS :thumb:
terry

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Although some come from the USA, most of those expensive compressors mentioned are made in China and are mostly very good. I have been communicating with one large manufacturer there recently. The little cheap things that are sold by Halfords, Lidl and Argos are toys and not worth the space in a MH. The reason that they reach the amazing 150 or 200 psig is that they have tiny pistons in tny cylinders. Anyone who did 'O' level physics will understand why that is.

They may produce a high pressure, but the displaced volume is very small, so inflating a large tyre takes a long time. The safe cycle time for one of these little 12v units is only 10 minutes, after which the motor may burn out. They are great for inflating beach balls or mini tyres.

If you look to pay from £80 to £200 you will get a compressor that can be permanently mounted inside a locker with an outlet (or two) fixed conveniently on the body ready for you to connect the tyre inflator. If you have air-ride suspension, you can connect it via valves to that, too. I have a heavy duty one that was once supplied to operate air-operated diff locks for a Land Rover.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you can find one, the Interdynamics "Truck Air 300" will do the job. They are used by the off-road boys who are continually deflating and inflating tyres to cross the soggy bits. I got one a couple of years ago, but the supplier is no longer trading. Interdynamics is a US company, but I suspect they are made in the far east. Below is a link to a US trader's website so you can see what it looks like. Mine has absolutely no problem in pumping the rear tyres to 4.5 bar and it runs from a 12V cigarette lighter socket.

Philip

Link Removed

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
If you look to pay from £80 to £200 you will get a compressor that can be permanently mounted inside a locker with an outlet (or two) fixed conveniently on the body ready for you to connect the tyre inflator. If you have air-ride suspension, you can connect it via valves to that, too. I have a heavy duty one that was once supplied to operate air-operated diff locks for a Land Rover.

AND think of air horns you could have , if you top up a a reserve air tank !!!!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
to be honest what you need is a tank somewhere on the van .if you do repair your tyre you may need that big whoosh of air to push out the beads. as said by previous poster ,air horns etc blow out brakes etc .i have to have mine but anybody that is thinking of blowing up tyres from flat and not just topping up its what you need.
some get compressors from scrapped ambulances.
t,max is a common one in the 4x4 mags.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
to be honest what you need is a tank somewhere on the van .if you do repair your tyre you may need that big whoosh of air to push out the beads.

The way around this Alan is to place a rope around the tyre and tie it off as a Spanish turnkey, as the rope is tightened the walls of the tyre are pushed out onto the rim, then even a slow compressor will push the beads onto the rims.

Doug...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi doug not always on radials now you use a sausage that you slip over the edge of the wheel. it can be done using a cycle tube to take up the gap .or its possible to get a jet blast or something tool that dumps air in so quick never fails.
have used wet rags loads soap. i worked for michelin for awhile so have done a few by the roadside. and even more in the desert. cheers alan.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
This may be a little long winded :roflmto: but if you jack the wheel up to relieve the pressure, it will fill a lot easier. pat

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The way around this Alan is to place a rope around the tyre and tie it off as a Spanish turnkey, as the rope is tightened the walls of the tyre are pushed out onto the rim,

Doug...

hi doug not always on radials now you use a sausage that you slip over the edge of the wheel. it can be done using a cycle tube to take up the gap .an.

Nah !!!!! forget all this tosh about ropes and cycle tubes.:winky:

this is how to get the bead on the rim..:Eeek:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXxR0rk_Bpw&feature=related[/ame]

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all and thanks for the reply s :thumb: now you have me thinking about buying one :ROFLMAO: (info was for my mate ) I have a 3 hp compressor at home so not desperate to buy a small one :ROFLMAO:always thought of them as a waste of money :Doh: Now after your comments Alan, I already have a compressor on-board (ambulance ) for my rear suspension :thumb: but now thinking I may as well buy a cheapo one or better still one of a ambulance in case mine ever packs up.It could well prove a worth while investment as a standby to pump up my suspension if it ever packs in :ROFLMAO: Once it is up it stays up all day and if it did not put enough pressure in I can always drive to a garage and top it up :thumb: to get me home.I have learned a lot about air suspension since getting the van and it is all very stright forward once you know how / what work what :thumb:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
alot of off road boys look for the ones off ambulances . we see lots when playing in the winter.you,ll have to come and play with us in the sun. ha ha .but you will need a few tubes and patches . blinking thorns grow in the sand and penetrate tyres all the time. cheers alan.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
alot of off road boys look for the ones off ambulances . we see lots when playing in the winter.you,ll have to come and play with us in the sun. ha ha .but you will need a few tubes and patches . blinking thorns grow in the sand and penetrate tyres all the time. cheers alan.
My other half won't let me out to play :cry:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
terry bring her along .you have to have something to trade for camels.
its about time you both came away and give your van a real trip.
lots out there .life aint a rehearsal ,you only get one chance . practice all your breakdown skills hopefully on someone elses vehicle . ha ha .
all older children are allowed to play.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
When the van breaks it will be time for me to do another :thumb: That is what is stopping me it won't break :ROFLMAO: and all I get is there's nothing wrong with it :thumb: I FIND MYSELF HAVING TO AGREE
:ROFLMAO:
terry

acdcdave

Deceased RIP
Oct 23, 2008
Funster No
CHUNKY BONAIRE PUMP FROM COSTCO

High Terry

Bought a fantastic little Bonair pump from Costco just before going on the Italian Job. No probs at 5 bar and reasonably quick. Good coiled hose and a brilliant strong bag for it all to go in. One of the best bits of kit I've bought in a long time.

Good hunting, Cheers Dave.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
High Terry

Bought a fantastic little Bonair pump from Costco just before going on the Italian Job. No probs at 5 bar and reasonably quick. Good coiled hose and a brilliant strong bag for it all to go in. One of the best bits of kit I've bought in a long time.

Good hunting, Cheers Dave.
That looks a nice bit of kit :thumb: I shall put it in my memory bank along side some others until I drop on one :ROFLMAO::thumb:I have a five quider from netto in the van just in case :Eeek: the air suspension does not go up :Eeek: never had to use it but like a lot of other stuff I carry in the van ( a load of crap ) you never know :ROFLMAO:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back