Black smoke, fuel consumption - Fiat Ducato 160 (1 Viewer)

Andrew Rchardson

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
York
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hello

I have a two year old Autotrial Scout that I have recently bought, it only covered 6000 miles.

When I am driving it I find that at between 1100 -1500 rpm it black smokes very heavily at part/medium throttle, it looks like it overfuels at lower revs until the turbo kicks in. (This would be at its worst coming off roundabouts etc)

It looks like some of the original diesels I had with chips fitted, this isnt chipped.

I am getting around 20mpg on the computer, how does that sound that would be running it at 65 on the motorway.

I took the vehicle to Fiat they have cleaned the EGR valve, but that has made no difference.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

A

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My first thought was a chipping error but this you say has not been done?? are you sure has the mapping been played with or checked against a genuine map
Failing that, the symtoms as you suspect are typical over fueling
injector or fuel pump malfuction hence poor MPG
Trip computors are not the most reliable way of checking fuel consuption
Geo

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
When I am driving it I find that at between 1100 -1500 rpm it black smokes very heavily at part/medium throttle, it looks like it overfuels at lower revs until the turbo kicks in.
A

Our older Fiat 2JTD is a bit like that. It does not like to develop power under 2000. So I tend to keep it in the 2000-3000 band. A miserable 25mpg is the result.

Funny old world. I was used to diesels pulling from tick-over and revving petrol, now I rev my diesel and my little Ford petrol pulls from tick-over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Funny old world. I was used to diesels pulling from tick-over and revving petrol, now I rev my diesel and my little Ford petrol pulls from tick-over.

I agree. I find it most disappointing that the Ducato Turbo diesel needs to be revving well for the turbo to produce decent power (it's almost the same thing with my Nissan X-Trail diesel). Being an old model, it doesn't have a rev counter, which is a shame. Can anyone recommend a good, not too expensive, after-market rev-counter that I could fit? I like to know the power profile. When the turbo pressure comes in the engine pulls brilliantly (it's only a 1.9) and avoiding wheel-spin is the problem!

cornishaich

Free Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Cornwall.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A year.
We have a Peugeot Boxer Autostratus 2001 2.5 TD and I find the power band is above 2000 revs below that it would not pull Granny off the the old chamber pot.
We get around 26-7 miles to the gallon.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
mine has done 4k and at hummmm 70ish does an indicated 27 av on motorway it picks up from tickover and does not smoke its the auto.Black smoke must be overfueling somehow it does sound egr valve related .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have a Peugeot Boxer Autostratus 2001 2.5 TD and I find the power band is above 2000 revs below that it would not pull Granny off the the old chamber pot.
We get around 26-7 miles to the gallon.

same on the 2.8TD.....below 2000rpm its a lawnmower then the turbo kicks in then it pulls like a train.
same MPG too.

Andrew....when was the air filter last checked/cleaned ? but :Doh: at only 6k it cant need changing unless you live and drive in a dustbowl

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
is the chassis still in warranty[2 year ago i beleive it should be 3 year] ?? then fiat should be looking into it for you.there was a recall which was a ecu reprogram because of an injector issue.

just thought i would add my experiances. i have now covered about 5500 in a ducato2.3 130.when new it was lucky to average 19mpg keeping below 65 . lacked any power below 2000 rpm.and i felt excessive gearchanges made journey harder than needed to be,with 6 gear to high to make good use of.
2000 miles ago aprox i had a remap. mpg now averageing around 22mpg and i am makeing use of extra pull from low down and greatly reduced gearchanges.much happyer to drive now. still disapointed that mpg is poor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back