Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I'm on the verge of pushing the button on a Vitrifrigo 12v compressor fridge to replace my existing 3-way Dometic RM7361, having run out of patience with its reliability. My MH is a 2009 Cheyenne, with 2 x Varta LFD90 batteries and a 100w solar panel. The MH PSU is a Sargent EC325. The nominal current draw of the fridge is 2.8A. I tend to spend most of my times in sunnier climes so I'm content with the charging situation.

I have the option of buying a multivoltage AC converter/controller, which would automatically supply power from the mains when on an EHU, at a much-reduced price at the same time as purchasing the fridge.

Now, I'm happy to accept that the fridge will run on the batteries, topped up by the solar panel when off-grid, and that the EC325 will provide the 12v to the fridge and charge the batteries when on EHU. The EC325 progressively reduces the charge current to the batteries as other leisure loads increase. I'm wondering if the constant draw from the batteries could lead to their earlier deterioration and whether giving them a 'breather' from time to time by using the AC supply when on EHU would be worthwhile?

Your thoughts would be appreciated, ta....

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

If you have good batteries and solar, I do not see any issue.

I run a small 240v freezer from a Victron 2Kw inverter. We only have a 110ah alternator but 200w of solar. The freezer is in additon to our Dometic fridge with freezer box.

The Batteries are Trojan Gel

What model of multivoltage AC controller are you intending to use please?

Trevor.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I can’t help with your question but our van is fitted with a Thetford compressor fridge, 2 Varta AGM 95 AH batteries, 200 watt of solar.
I also run a CPAP machine with humidifier through the night, some 12 volt tv and charge tooth brushes, phone, iPad and also run a dab radio and in the last 18 months we have been fine for 12 volt power.

John.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Cant see why you would need the additional ac power supply for the fridge as long as the van psu is capable of supplying the fridge current..
I suspect the 2.8a is an average.. my small 65l compressor fridge can draw 3 to 4 amps when running..
My 100w pannel just about copes with my small compressor fridge in good weather... which is when the fridge is working at its hardest anyway.. when the suns not shining the fridge is a large drain on the leisure batteries unless im on hook up
Andy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd suggest looking at increasing your solar input as 100w is a bit low for keeping the batteries topped up for running an electric fridge when not on EHU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I have a Waeco CRX-50 12v fridge

I have a 110 Ah leisure battery and no solar

With a bit of planning, l manage 3 days (2 nights) off grid, which includes lights, water pump, small tv & a bit of power for the diesel cooker

I had the option of a mains adaptor for the fridge, but the on board charger is sufficient to recharge the battery & run the fridge, so i didn't bother adding another thing to go wrong!

One thing i was advised is to wire the fridge directly to the leisure battery (fused obviously) as many of the 'control panels' can give power loss & the Waeco fridges will run up to 24 volts, so no additional voltage regulation is required.

It might be worth you looking at the Waeco range..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have a Waeco CRX-50 12v fridge

I have a 110 Ah leisure battery and no solar

With a bit of planning, l manage 3 days (2 nights) off grid, which includes lights, water pump, small tv & a bit of power for the diesel cooker

I had the option of a mains adaptor for the fridge, but the on board charger is sufficient to recharge the battery & run the fridge, so i didn't bother adding another thing to go wrong!

One thing i was advised is to wire the fridge directly to the leisure battery (fused obviously) as many of the 'control panels' can give power loss & the Waeco fridges will run up to 24 volts, so no additional voltage regulation is required.

It might be worth you looking at the Waeco range..
we also have one of these , with two 100 a batterys and a 100w solar and it never runs the batterys down, they are never less than full on the panel

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
The ac dc controller seems to be a clever bit of kit, not just a dc charger.
It has facility to disconnect fridge if battery voltage goes too low . After a quick glance it appears highest voltage to cut out is 11.3v which for me would be too low.
For me to buy would mean more research than just a quick glance at spec sheet.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are on EHU the fridge won't really take any power out of the batteries, it will essentially be run by the 12 volt charging system.

We use a compressor coolbox to supplement our small gas fridge and 100W solar was not enough so I added a second panel but if you only use the MH in bright sunshine then you may get away with it. I suggest give it a go and see how you get on. :)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
The ac dc controller seems to be a clever bit of kit, not just a dc charger.
It has facility to disconnect fridge if battery voltage goes too low . After a quick glance it appears highest voltage to cut out is 11.3v which for me would be too low.
For me to buy would mean more research than just a quick glance at spec sheet.

The Waeco fridge cuts out on low voltage - but I believe it's 9.5v - which, in my opinion is too low

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The Waeco fridge cuts out on low voltage - but I believe it's 9.5v - which, in my opinion is too low
ours has never been below 12.3 with no hookup, just 100w solar, but do move every couple of days.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

agree 100% ..

at that voltage the battery may well be permanently damaged.. or at least it's life shortened..

voltage should never be below 12v.. it seems odd that Waeco have set the cutout so low.. 11.5v would have been more prudent.. my inverter would alarm at 11.5v

OP
OP
Pete5996

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Many thanks for all the responses - plenty of food for thought there. On balance it would seem that the 12V only option will be sufficient, so I'll settle for that.

I'd suggest looking at increasing your solar input as 100w is a bit low for keeping the batteries topped up for running an electric fridge when not on EHU.

The EC325 PSU is a little different from other PSUs as it has a built-in solar controller which can take a maximum of 100W of solar panel. I think I'll probably 'suck it and see' for a while before I go to the expense of extra panels and a separate solar controller. However, I don't know whether it's possible to have a separate solar controller with the charging system mentioned below.

The EC325 also different inasmuch as it has an 'intelligent' charging system which increases the voltage to the batteries to up to 18V and their recommendation is to not connect anything directly to the batteries as this may interfere with or damage the charging system, so direct connection to the batteries is not an option.
ec325.JPG

The 12V supply for the hab area is regulated at the PSU to provide up to 25A for all services, with just one feed for a permanent supply, currently fused at 5A for the radio and fridge circuit. I emailed Sargent a couple of days ago to confirm that using this feed, uprated to 15A, would be suitable for the fridge supply but I haven't yet had an answer.

The head-scratching continues...

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Like so many you dont give us sll the facts. What is your other battery load. If you add the fridge load to your other load then compare it with the charger output the answer as to whether you need an additional power source. I would suggest that another 100watt of solar would be good. If your visits to sunnier climes are in winter i would suggest 200 watts is a minimum as you can get several cloudy days in a row.

OP
OP
Pete5996

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Like so many you dont give us sll the facts. What is your other battery load. If you add the fridge load to your other load then compare it with the charger output the answer as to whether you need an additional power source. I would suggest that another 100watt of solar would be good. If your visits to sunnier climes are in winter i would suggest 200 watts is a minimum as you can get several cloudy days in a row.

Apologies - I was hoping to avoid typing 'War and Peace - Part Two' in case readers got bored....:)

The answer is not a lot, normally. LED lighting all round, drawing perhaps 2A or so on a dark evening; possibly 22W + 13W from the 12V TV and Humax box - say 3A; usual battery charging for phone, tablet etc. I'd not expect to be drawing more than 10A at any one time, so with 15A available out of the total PSU output of 25A max, I think you've pointed me towards the answer.

Re the solar, I'll refer you to the answer I gave Minxy Girl earlier(y)

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I use a Waeco CRX65 (64 litre) in a LWB High-roof VW T6 with 100W Solar and two 90Ah Banner Energy Bull Leisure batteries, all lighting is LED.

Due to a modern smart alternator the charge regime is via a RING RSCDC30 which is also a MPPT solar controller. Additional is a simple PMS3V 240v distribution + 15A 12v charger + 12dc distribution unit. {Anyone who may have had problems with an early version of this RING RSCDC30 should speak to RING technical support as it may need a software update}.

We have just returned from 45 days in Europe with ambient daytime temperatures in the thirties and have had no problem keeping the fridge cool & freezer box frozen. My only addition to the basic fridge set-up is a pair of small computer fans that assist the Waeco fan in two speed operation controlled by a couple of thermal switches (and resistor pack) mounted on the fridge plumbing. The new CRX65 has a much more professional heat exchanger than the older CR65 and has an airflow that is left to right across the rear of the unit. In my case the additional fans assist this airflow in one side of the cabinet and out the other.

Rod

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
My set up is 100w sp, EC325, Waeco 80l (I think) and two 80ah batteries last weekend at FFF rally batteries were showing 11.5v after 1.5 days. Outside temp was high 20's fridge alone was pulling 4.5 amps and solar in bright sunshine was only putting in 1.5-2a. A couple of hours on the generator sorted it out for the rest of the weekend but I think my batteries are on their way out. The poor performance could also be related to temperature.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
@Pete5996. our last van had a Waeco 12v fridge that ran at an average of 2amps saved loads of gas over 2 years but required 240w solar into 3 leisure bats. Now back with 3 way fridge, 100w solar and single leisure bat. We camp off hookup from February to late November and only have hookup twice a year so need to avoid heavy electric-only devices like the Waeco. It seems that more and more manufacturers are installing these 12v only fridges either because they are easier to fit or they are promoting the use of campsites?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
More solar would seem to be best ans , That way the solar is enough to supply the fridge and battery charge to full during daylight , and the battery should be enough to run fridge thru night. Thats what I am doing with a full size 215ltr fridge freezer thru inverter .

OP
OP
Pete5996

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks for the further comments. I settled on the Vitrifrigo based on dimensions, volume, alleged performance and price - it's near enough a direct slot-in replacement for the Dometic. It arrives via UPS tomorrow.

As I mentioned earlier, I'll 'suck it and see' regarding the solar capacity. I don't do a lot of wild camping so don't imagine I'll ever need to rely on the 12V system for more than a couple of days.

Sargent replied to the effect that they wouldn't recommend using the existing permanent 12V fridge/radio supply from the EC325 and have advised that I connect it directly to the batteries. Unfortunately , this advice conflicts with the EC325 instruction manual which states that no equipment should be connected directly to the batteries because of the intelligent charging system and the possibility of up to 18V being present during the charging process. Whether this would interfere with the charging system I don't know, so I've asked them for clarification.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Another question ,. Will the battery voltage being at up to 18v damage the fridge?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Battery voltage being at 18v wont be doing the battery a lot of good I would have thought !
It will also be harmful for some led s

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pete5996

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I can only quote that which is written in the EC325 manual and I assume the 18V is only supplied as a bit of a 'blast charge' over a short period of time. I would think Sargent probably knew what they were doing when they designed the system:)

ec325 charging.JPG

Another question ,. Will the battery voltage being at up to 18v damage the fridge?

Good question, SandraL. Given that it's designed to run on 12/24V, I suppose it wouldn't - that's assuming it can run between those two voltages, rather than either/or. My main concern is that the presence of the fridge load on the batteries would screw up the charging system.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back