Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I'm sure I saw a thread on here a while back about storing the wheel under the chassis. Ours is currently in the rear drawer but we'd like to free up the space and I know the wheel was underneath at one point. Any clues about this thread or how we can lift the wheel behind the back wheels?
Ivy

midget

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
a long time
This is one of my favourite subjects-why do you want to waste your payload lugging a heavy spare wheel around which,if you take reasonable care of your tyres,you dont need?
By all means take a bottle of "goo" and electric pump(very light) for the rare small puncture but you are far more likely to suffer electrical/mechanical breakdown than a blow out.I speak as someone has made a good living trucking/couriering around Europe All my working life and my experience tells me that unless you are driving big stuff-artics-which do suffer from overloading/abuse ,a"spare" is a waste of weight.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The spair wheel on my RV is mounted on the rear as there is no room on the chassis becouse of gas tank,extra fuel tank,etc.
I have just removed the spair wheel and carrier from my VW distance wide and fitted that to the rear of the camper becouse I wanted the space to fit an extra fuel tank and the only chassis space I had was where the spair wheel carrier was.
Regarding not carreing a spare wheel,I agree to a point but at least carry a spair tyre,breakdown cover is not valid without one. If you have a spair tyre they will send a tyre company to fit it. If you don`t have a spair tyre you are at the mercy of the tyre company that comes to your rescue.
They will charge what they like at the side of the motorway,as they know you are going nowhere without a tyre.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i say always carry a spare .if you get a puncture in the middle of the night on a motorway the tyre doesnt stand a chance. gets ripped to shreds . use the anti puncture stuff yes .i carry two spares for the truck and two for my trailer. if you go abroad you dont want to be paying their prices . uk is about the cheapest in europe for tyres. the other thing is practice changing the spare .get it off to a tee .if you do get a puncture its bound to be in a nasty situation and the quicker its changed the safer it is . i also carry push in tyre repair gear and a compressor can repair the tyre and not even remove the wheel if you are lucky.

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Our current car does not have a spare but came with a can of goo/gunk. Within hours of having the car I had got a nail stuck in the tyre in a car park. I phoned the RAC who in turn sent a local rescue service. They removed the nail (a mistake) and then proceeded to fill the tyre with gunk.

The whole was to large for the gunk to be effective and the rescue service had to then tow us home, the tyre ruined and more hassle than a spare.

Our motorhome has a spare wheel and when we decide to change the car it WILL have a spare.

midget

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
a long time
i say always carry a spare .if you get a puncture in the middle of the night on a motorway the tyre doesnt stand a chance. gets ripped to shreds . use the anti puncture stuff yes .i carry two spares for the truck and two for my trailer. if you go abroad you dont want to be paying their prices . uk is about the cheapest in europe for tyres. the other thing is practice changing the spare .get it off to a tee .if you do get a puncture its bound to be in a nasty situation and the quicker its changed the safer it is . i also carry push in tyre repair gear and a compressor can repair the tyre and not even remove the wheel if you are lucky.
Hate to argue with a fellow ex trucker Alan but you obviously dont have a payoad worry with your Mini-Artic the majority here surely do-and I did exclude artics! To GregM-you where extremely unlucky to pick out your nail-how many nails have you "found" since then?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no arguement. have you priced tyres abroad ,or had to use a tyre company come out to you. i understand the weight issue but still wouldnt travel without a spare .carry other ways to do it as extra,s. i worked for michelin for a while and know how long you could wait for a fitter to get to you. i also know you could never need it but you might.
i know i get lots of punctures . have fun we all have choice .cheers alan.
ps. how do you smuggle stuff back if you dont put it in the spare wheel ?????
joking .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the wheel was once mounted underneath then it will go back there again...

you just need to source a carrier for it.

if its an Alko chassis then its easy...look online

if its a standard factory chassis then its even easier. go to a main dealer.

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Hate to argue with a fellow ex trucker Alan but you obviously dont have a payoad worry with your Mini-Artic the majority here surely do-and I did exclude artics! To GregM-you where extremely unlucky to pick out your nail-how many nails have you "found" since then?
You are of course right, I was unlucky and the fact had car just a few hours makes it feel worse, but most punctures are unlucky are they not? the point is the gunk they tend to give instead of a spare these days made things worse, if a spare had been available it could have been changed and on my way.

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
if the wheel was once mounted underneath then it will go back there again...

you just need to source a carrier for it.

if its an Alko chassis then its easy...look online

if its a standard factory chassis then its even easier. go to a main dealer.

Thanks PJ. Now there is a man who gets the point and addresses it.
Ivy

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Err is that true, that Breakdown cover won't cover us without a spare tyre? Swift don't supply one with our van, and the lockers wouldn't be big enough to put one in! Surely that can't be right?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Err is that true, that Breakdown cover won't cover us without a spare tyre? Swift don't supply one with our van, and the lockers wouldn't be big enough to put one in! Surely that can't be right?

yep.....if you call them out to a puncture you must have a serviceable spare wheel.

when i did recovery work, depending how busy we were, how far away from a garage and the attitude of the cars driver, we would take the flat to a local garage and have it repaired, at the drivers expense of course, but that was an extra courtesy service and not part of the normal service.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
One problem you will find with a motorhome is the chassis is almost always full of motorhome stuff, ie freshwater,graywater tanks,gas tanks,lockers etc, thats why manufacturers don`t fit spare wheels....nowhere for them to go after the coachbuilder has finished.
Even my 10 metre RV has nowhere on the chassis for a spare wheel, thats why its fitted on the back.
Before buying a wheel carrier make sure you have somwhere to fit it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I can assure you it is right....check your breakdown book.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back