Greece via Italy, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania. (1 Viewer)

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Advice please from you Experienced Lovely Funsters.

Planning 3 months (from late August) trip to Greece with our 8m long MH.
Any suggestions/tips relating to traveling through these countries will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We fancied going to Greece last year, so I looked into it slightly, googling etc and found it's a nightmare to drive that way, with Vignettes, insurances, permissions, tolls... I thought sod that, and we went to Benidorm again. :love:
If we go it will be through Italy, then ferry straight to Greece

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
One of my biggest regrets was not driving through Montenegro and Albania en route to Greece - because we couldn't get fully comp insurance. I since found that 'Caravan Guard' would provide fully comp insurance for Albania, Montenegro, Serbia etc but that may not be the case now.

Andy Pippins did a great blog of his tour:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
You can buy insurance at the border for Montenegro and Albania. It's only 3rd party but at least it means you're legal if you get stopped. We did it in 2014. Then it was 18 euros for Montenegro and 49 euros for Albania.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Why not run eastern europe via hungary - romania - bulgaria may cost a small amount in vignettes but might be worth looking at although coming out of greece back into bulgaria may cause slight delay

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years ago we got the ferry to Igoumenitsa from Ancona and then drove back through Albania, Montenego, Bosnia, Croatia,.....Fully comp insurance provided by CC insurance who provided green card for no extra charge. Really enjoyed Albania and Bosnia.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi @Dogsense

We travelled from Greece - Bulgaria - Serbia - Croatia - Slovenia - Italy - France, earlier this year. We didn't have any problems at the borders, with the biggest hold up being on the Croatia/ Slovenia border, but that was more due to roadworks on the Slovenia side.

We also have a 8.3m MoHo and didn't encounter any problems re getting on campsites or ferries.

Anything I can help with please feel free to ask.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Thanks Jim, I wonder how your “BUMP” triggered 9 replies after 3 days of nothing?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Thanks Jim, I wonder how your “BUMP” triggered 9 replies after 3 days of nothing?
I read it when you first posted but thought somebody who has been and done it will answer with lots more info than I can give. Then I forgot about it. Then Jim bumped it so I thought I'd say something seeing as nobody else was (y) not that it was very helpful :LOL:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi @Dogsense

We travelled from Greece - Bulgaria - Serbia - Croatia - Slovenia - Italy - France, earlier this year. We didn't have any problems at the borders, with the biggest hold up being on the Croatia/ Slovenia border, but that was more due to roadworks on the Slovenia side.

We also have a 8.3m MoHo and didn't encounter any problems re getting on campsites or ferries.

Anything I can help with please feel free to ask.

Hi Sandra

We re interested in doing that later this year, just wondering how you tackled the insurance for Albania and Montenegro

Ive asked saga who initially said yes but now have said no, their customer services seems to be slipping a bit atm so might have to change companies.

Jon

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We would have liked to travel that route but, like others, were unable to get comprehensive insurance cover.

NFU initially said they would give fully comp cover in Croatia but they now say this was announced in error. Their underwriters are unable to extend the cover to include Croatia other than 3rd party and of course that applies to Albania too. PITA!

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Sandra

We re interested in doing that later this year, just wondering how you tackled the insurance for Albania and Montenegro

Ive asked saga who initially said yes but now have said no, their customer services seems to be slipping a bit atm so might have to change companies.

Jon
Hey Jon. We skirted around Albania and Montenegro for the same reason - insurance. I am glad we did as having a little taste of Bulgaria and Serbia has left us wanting to go back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back