Any advice before buying an awning (1 Viewer)

seymore

Free Member
Feb 13, 2010
Newcastle under Lyme.
Funster No
MH
Van coversion
Exp
This is the 4th van weve done
:thumb:Our van is a vw lt35 (sprinter lookalike) called seymore. We are considering buying a drive away awning.It must be light and not too bulky. The one we fancy is the (Riviera mobil 300 ) but at the moment weve only seen it on e-bay. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with this or any other awning. We appreciate any advice you can give.cheers dave

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi,
Recently bought one of these from Riversway.
All we have done as yet is put it up in the garden attached to the MH, and taken it down 3 days later.
Easier to use the supplied yellow stoprm straps than fart about with guy ropes, they are more or less in the same places.
Can only say that it went up easily enough, and packed away just as easily.
Plenty of useable room inside.
When we packed it up I was pleasantly surprised to find it actually went back into its bag with no problems.
As to actual use, not used it as yet due to a broken ankle, but it seems a reasonable bit of kit to me.
John

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Hi
Not used that model but have recently purchased a Outdoor Revolution which is a similar style. Picked up second hand but looks nearly new.

Just got back from month in Yorkshire with awning up for the full month, experienced high winds, very heavy rain, hailstones:RollEyes: and hot sun for two days:Cool: Awning stood up to everything thrown at it. However did use both normal guys and the storm guys to keep it in place. Used the metal skewer type pegs for the mud flaps (a must otherwise wind get underneath and can lift the awning off ground) but pick up heavy duty metal pegs for the guy lines as find the skewer pull out of the ground even in light winds.

The only other thing I found was the attachings to the side of the van, I needed to pick up 'figure of eight' plastic tubing to attach the awning to the 'j' gutter of the wind out awning. I drive a panel van conversion with the large sliding door on the side and did find the door caught up in the awning where it attaches to the van but a simple solution is to pick up extra figure of eight tubing and a cloth insert to extend the gap between the awning and van (sorry not explaining this very well but riversway have all the bits and were very helpfull and does not cost much for these extras).

First time I tried the awning took some getting use to but second time out very quick to put up and same taking down, all went back into the bag no problem.

As the sides slope towards the roof rather than the square sided awning I am used to did think it would be on the small side but in use fitted two large chairs, small table and some storage for two of us no problems, did however leave the sleeping section at home as did not need and would have severely resticted the available space.
Only other minor problem being the poles are these new fangled bendy poles, great as lightweight and easy to use but a no go when it comes to hanging a washing line or outside light between the poles (or perhaps my lack of confidence in how much they can bend:RollEyes:)

Colin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We bought a Khyam Motordome Excelsior awning nearly 4 years ago and have used it extensively. Had to buy the Excelsior rather than the Classic because of the height of our van. The only problem we have had with it is the figure 8 plastic strips coming off the J rail in high winds - solved by attaching 6 foot bungees to the loops by the kador strip and pegging them to the ground (puts just enough tension on). The Khyam is extremely easy to erect and take down but you may find that it is a bit bulky/heavy for your requirements.

Earlier this year we bought a Base Camp Panorama porch awning on eBay as we don't always need as large a space as the Khyam. It isn't a drive away but we don't need that in the circumstances we use it. Once again the only problem we've found is the strips coming off the J rail (solved as with the Khyam). Otherwise stability more or less as described by Colin - which (given similar shape) will probably be the same with the Riviera mobil 300 which you mentioned in the OP.

Looking at the Base Camp whilst using it over the weekend I realised that there was actually space to fit a length of straight awning rail below the J rail without fouling the habitation door so ordered a kit yesterday. That should stop the wind problem completely.

Graham

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I have one and used it at camarthen with no problems, attached it to an awningrail i had fitted to the van via the fig8 chanel stuff, must admit that i had it so that although attached at the roof section, i had the sides tied back so that the dog and us could go in and out of the van without using the awning bit. was easy enough to put up and take down and is lightweight, if i was to buy one now though i would be tempted by the new movilight that has a sleeping pod attached so that you loose none of the awning living area
Link Removed

OP
OP
S

seymore

Free Member
Feb 13, 2010
Newcastle under Lyme.
Funster No
MH
Van coversion
Exp
This is the 4th van weve done
:thumb:Thanks you guys, just the sort of information I was looking for. I feel confident now to go ahead and get one.The gutter rail on my van is imediately above the door so I probably will encounter trouble with the figure of eight coupling strips.I might be back for more hints and tips. Cheers dave

May 22, 2008
Funster No
:thumb:Our van is a vw lt35 (sprinter lookalike) called seymore. We are considering buying a drive away awning.It must be light and not too bulky. The one we fancy is the (Riviera mobil 300 ) but at the moment weve only seen it on e-bay. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with this or any other awning. We appreciate any advice you can give.cheers dave
This is my awning. it's not drive away, but is very light and easy to errect, Suncamp ultima 390.:thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• SDC10022.jpg
    SDC10022.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 29

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
This is my awning. it's not drive away, but is very light and easy to errect, Suncamp ultima 390.:thumb::thumb:

I have a Hymer S630 and am looking for an awning to fit.
Do you have enough clearance to open the hab door without it fouling on the awning roof?
I figured that I need 270 height but see that the Ultima 390 is 250 height, and seems to fit your Hymer OK.

Pete:Cool:

Hopesy

Free Member
Nov 5, 2008
South Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Hi, we have a Elddis Sunseeker 115 and have just bought a MOVELITE XL. We've used it once so far and bought extra pegs before we went. Being ex tenters i knew that the supplied pegs wouldn't be "man" enough for the job so get some rock pegs or v pegs before you go. It's good piece of kit and easy to drive away and park up again. :thumb:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
how does that fix to the m/h then?[/QUOTE Wind out the van canopy, you will see a channel in the outer edge of the canopy,this channel takes the cord that is attached to the awning ,slide the cord of the awning to the desired position in the canopy channel , wind the canopy back in and then erect the awning,simple :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back