Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi All

Ive been touring France for the past 8 weeks and somehow in the last week I got flashed twice by two different speed cameras.

I dont know if ive just become so laid back that I just didnt bother to look at my speed or the cameras but you cant miss the flipping great big ugly things. Anyway my fault I guess but it was one of those open roads where they suddenly introduce a 70kph speed limit and despite taking my foot off I was still doing 85-90 when I went past it and it went off.

Question is, has anyone been done before? Cant see how they would bother sending a fine out to a foreign vehicle and cant see how they would be able to trace it anyway without co-operation with DVLA or the UK PNC. I could however be wrong.

If I do get a fine should I just bin it?

Cheers
BD

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
they can get you. i had a denunciation in denia spain a few years ago for parking on the beach. it got very expensive but in the end they dropped it as i said was on way maroc so didnt get it for 6mnths. it worked.
put a bit of wood under your throttle stop you going so fast slow down its not a race. how slow can you go .let the traffic build up .how long can you make the line of cars. ha ha .cheers alan.

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
Got flashed twice in France last year - second time by the camera just north of Abbeville on the N1 which I knew was there:Doh:. Never heard anymore about it but I may have been lucky.
A couple of years ago we were sent a photo of a hired camper van in Australia with a demand for £60 for doing 108 kmh in a 100 zone. The nearest town was 80 miles away so I felt justified in ignoring it and heard nothing more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
cross border cooperation on this ia supposed to he already been introduced , fines/points on licence across borders

but , as usual , it doesn't seem to have happened yet , so don't worry about it

in my case it just appeared in the post , and I paid on line
problem with having french registered vehicle :Sad:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
DONG DONG DONG DONG speed camera warning on TOM TOM, 700 yards before I get to it ,SIMPLES.:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I know!!! I downloaded loads of POI and just didnt bother with the Speed cameras as Im in a MH and dont usually speed, Im on holiday. I think they were both towards the end of a couple of tedious journeys so I may have started to push a bit.

Will see what happens and let you know.

Cheers
BD

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
I got caught by a motorway camera last year, never heard anything further so you might be lucky.

A word of warning, I saw several Police " plain clothes " cars with speed guns disguised on the back parcel shelf! One lot was disguised as a pair of boom boom speakers another was in a cardboard box.

Not British old chap!

Hallii

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I saw several Police " plain clothes " cars with speed guns disguised on the back parcel shelf! One lot was disguised as a pair of boom boom speakers another was in a cardboard box.Hallii

Are you sure they were not just boom boom speakers. How did you know what was in the cardboard box. How did you know they were police. :Smile:

mostin

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Funster No
Hi.

I/we've been going over to France etc for a few years now on both our motorbikes & now in my van. Including this year already.

When we're on our bikes lets just say we don't hang around :Blush: but we're not reckless. (there's time for speed & times to go slow). but we have been flashed a few times. Note to myself:- i must change my speedo from MPH to KPH next trip :Smile:

One of the lads that goes with us has worked for VOSA for quite some years now so he's got a good idea of whats going off.

As i understand it they can now send speeding tickets over the water back to the UK but they just don't both (at the moment) because of all the hassel following it up.

Mostin.

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
And there would be the issue of who gets what in the way of the fine cash.
You know - offence in France, search done in UK, payment to God knows who.
It COULD be meerkat seemples, but I bet it isn't.

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
Are you sure they were not just boom boom speakers. How did you know what was in the cardboard box. How did you know they were police. :Smile:

They were Police because they had uniforms on and had big black guns on their hip.

You could see the speed guns when you looked close up, we had stopped on both occasions in a lay-by for a brew up so had lots of time to sit and watch.

They (the Police) stood behind the car so motorists couldn't spot them from the road. A Police motorbike waits up the road and stops offenders.

Hallii

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
They were using this system just outside Bergerac last week,Plain car ,speed camera in rear of vehicle but they had two police motor cycle stoppers with them.Brit reg vehicles fine and pay on spot.French residents given a ticket to pay in 7days.You have been warned.

Goldedition

Free Member
Apr 22, 2010
Funster No
on a sunny day in France,
when you finish the queue at the motorways payage,
there could be a uniformed officer waiting for you

the french are less lazy then you would expect
you wouldnt be the first surprised foreigner, with a car behind the chain

all depends on how fast you were going

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Re Australian speeding ticket, has whoever it was been back to Oz since? - cos we were told 2 years ago in no uncertain terms by ex-pats and locals alike, if it happened to us to cough up and look happy if we wanted to get back in again in future!

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
This last Wednesday heading to Calais from Vannes on the motorway there were some cones with HV flags on then getting a bit further along there was a road gang strimming the verges with a temp 90kph disk on side of road and just past the flashing arrow vehicle was an unmarked poice car with a radar camera fixed to the rear bumper just makes you think how many copped it for not slowing down luckily I usually set the cruise at around 90kph.

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Good morning,

We were flashed last year on our way back to callais by a fixed camera, have not heard anything since. This is warning to me to be more alert.

georgio

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Got back last night and waded through 8 weeks of post. No fine but its early days yet. I reckon from the comments that I wont get one.

Maybe my van will be blacklisted though I and I will get pulled next time I try and enter the country! Big brother and all that!

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
Hi

I was in France in April/May and got flashed on the way to Bergerac, I was following a french van who had just overtaken me and was driving like a maniac! There was a 70kph sign followed by a deristricted sign and then closely followed by a 70 kph sign within 200metres!!!
When we got to the next village there was pandemonium!! There were 4 police cars with their lights flashing and the van had been pulled over and was surrounded by 7 police.:ROFLMAO: Anyway our friends who live just outside Bergerac told us that the police are very hot on locals who flount the speed limit but that if you get flashed, but not stopped, you should be OK (too much paperwork for them to do!!)
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
Got back last night and waded through 8 weeks of post. No fine but its early days yet. I reckon from the comments that I wont get one.

Maybe my van will be blacklisted though I and I will get pulled next time I try and enter the country! Big brother and all that!

Methinks you worry too much!:Smile:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Hi All

Ive been touring France for the past 8 weeks and somehow in the last week I got flashed twice by two different speed cameras.

I dont know if ive just become so laid back that I just didnt bother to look at my speed or the cameras but you cant miss the flipping great big ugly things. Anyway my fault I guess but it was one of those open roads where they suddenly introduce a 70kph speed limit and despite taking my foot off I was still doing 85-90 when I went past it and it went off.

Question is, has anyone been done before? Cant see how they would bother sending a fine out to a foreign vehicle and cant see how they would be able to trace it anyway without co-operation with DVLA or the UK PNC. I could however be wrong.

If I do get a fine should I just bin it?

Cheers
BD

How did you miss the blooming great sign that is at the side of the road informing you that a fixed speed camera is coming up:thumb:

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
The vast majority of speed cameras in France have obvious warning signs. If there are cones , speed restrictions and workers on the road and you don't slow down, thank goodness there are police about. We all drive too fast at times and get a bit las'e fair about the consequences. Moves are afoot to introduce bailiffs to collect the unpaid fines in future, avoiding the slow proccess of using the British judicial syatem.
If you can't pay the fine don't do the crime.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Your right. I have no sympathy in the UK for anyone who gets done by a GATSO. They are bright yellow and there are also signs. They will never get me here.

However the two occasions when I was flashed may have been a bit sneaky. There may have been a sign but I dont remember. They were both small stretches of 70kph where it was really rediculous to suddenly reduce the speed to 70 and then half a mile later unrestricted. I reckon its a trap and I fell for it. I was just tootling along and probably saw the speed camera but on such an open road and in holiday mode it just didnt register.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Anpr

I got caught by a motorway camera last year, never heard anything further so you might be lucky.

A word of warning, I saw several Police " plain clothes " cars with speed guns disguised on the back parcel shelf! One lot was disguised as a pair of boom boom speakers another was in a cardboard box.

In the UK would bet these are not speed cameras but ANPR cameras - which most people should be happy to see. You do need to ensure your tax/test/insurance is up to date.
If you are one of the few who worries about being tracked by ANPR, oh that you are lucky to be so important - and why are you carrying illicit substances in your vehicle? Get a life, or get insurance.
You can check your insurance is on the database on the Motor Insurance Bureau's online database.
But on the continent they do use subterfuge and take excessive speed even more seriously then we do.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Your right. I have no sympathy in the UK for anyone who gets done by a GATSO. They are bright yellow and there are also signs. They will never get me here.

However the two occasions when I was flashed may have been a bit sneaky. There may have been a sign but I dont remember. They were both small stretches of 70kph where it was really rediculous to suddenly reduce the speed to 70 and then half a mile later unrestricted. I reckon its a trap and I fell for it. I was just tootling along and probably saw the speed camera but on such an open road and in holiday mode it just didnt register.

That sort of thing happens quite a lot over here with speed limits, they will drop from 90k to 70k and then back up to 90k again and no apparent reason for the changes, you just have to be awake for it :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back