Wildcamping....still dont get it (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Well we recently had our 1st weekend "wilding" sat we stayed at a loverly place in north wales right by the beach (Dinas dinlle) 7 other MH there and not a no overnight parking sign to be seen in fact it was just like a CL, we quite enjoyed it. Sun morning we drove over snowdonia with a view to finding somewere equally as nice however due to the stress of driving down some very tight / narrow roads (moral - never rely on sat nav) we ended up at CC site at Bestwy coed.

Conclusion-
Staying somewere like Dinas I get...
Parking on a layby or a verge at side of road or
down some narrow side street or
car park etc .................... that I dont get at all

As was stated by a funster in one of my previouys threads when we were asking about wild spots in wales "why bother when you can go on a CL for £5 - £10 per night"

I may consider doing it again occasionally however it would have to be somewere similar to Dinas and I wouldnt do it regular. We are now getting into the CL site idea more and more but still like a "propper" site as well.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
Glad you found somewhere nice for the Sat night. We like to wildcamp but never found parking on a layby of a busy road or in a carpark with no view very appealing. We have doen this in the past but more to do with time than planning to stop there.

I prefer somewhere in the middle of nowhere that its just you and a nice view our best wild camping was 2 weeks in the outer hebrides. But everyone to their own we have like you started to use cl and so far are really impressed.

Gerry

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Wildcamping, why?

This is why.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

And for your £10 you can get 3 bottles of red mood lubricant to enjoy around the bonfire at night. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Looks like a CL to me :Smile:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
OK but is it legal....?

Have read many posts on this subject "found a great spot there was a no parking sign but no one bothered us" type thing. Surely a £5 pn legal CL were you can leave your van safely and go for a walk is better ??

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Absolutely, you just need to look about you and talk to the right people.

Here's more.

Link Removed

IMG_2361.jpg

Why Pay when you get these free? :thumb::thumb: Spend a wee bit locally now and again and tidy up others mess and you'll be welcomed back.:Smile:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
fair enough point taken, like the last pic :thumb:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I have a pic I think is of interest from our afforsaid wild camp but have no photo account thing in order to post it :cry:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Just sign up to photobucket and upload yer pics. You can also access millions of others, just type in your fancy and away you go.

Marilyn Munro? Here you go. Click on IMG code copy and paste, voila.

marilyn-monroe-1.jpg

Happy Hippy

Free Member
May 16, 2010
In my bus
Funster No
MH
Scruffy old bus
Exp
Full time since April 2007, part time since early 80's
Well we recently had our 1st weekend "wilding" sat we stayed at a loverly place in north wales right by the beach (Dinas dinlle) 7 other MH there and not a no overnight parking sign to be seen in fact it was just like a CL, we quite enjoyed it. Sun morning we drove over snowdonia with a view to finding somewere equally as nice however due to the stress of driving down some very tight / narrow roads (moral - never rely on sat nav) we ended up at CC site at Bestwy coed.

Conclusion-

As was stated by a funster in one of my previouys threads when we were asking about wild spots in wales "why bother when you can go on a CL for £5 - £10 per night"

I may consider doing it again occasionally however it would have to be somewere similar to Dinas and I wouldnt do it regular. We are now getting into the CL site idea more and more but still like a "propper" site as well.

Verge at the side of the road is fine if it's a little used single track country lane. Car parks - can be good or bad, depends where they are and who else uses them. Narrow (or wide) streets - if you mean as in a town - not particularly pleasant but doable if you have a good reason to need to be in a town. Laybys only a last resort or a handy break on a long journey, but anywhere, absolutely anywhere that is free is preferable to paying to park as far as I'm concerned.

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Well we recently had our 1st weekend "wilding" sat we stayed at a loverly place in north wales right by the beach (Dinas dinlle) 7 other MH there

Hi
do you have the coordinate of this place handy place. I am correcting a lists of wilding places to go Many thanks

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
1st attempt at a pic ......

Link Removed

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Well we recently had our 1st weekend "wilding" sat we stayed at a loverly place in north wales right by the beach (Dinas dinlle) 7 other MH there

Hi
do you have the coordinate of this place handy place. I am correcting a lists of wilding places to go Many thanks

PM sent :thumb:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
2nd attempt at pic

Link Removed

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I got it ..................... I think :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
:thumb:

Now thats wild camping ... enjoyed it there. :winky:

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
Hi Derek

I know the last pic is at Boulmer (we've over-nighted at same spot, daughter lives in Longhoughton), but what about the others ?
Do tell.

regards
Allen

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Well we recently had our 1st weekend "wilding" sat we stayed at a loverly place in north wales right by the beach (Dinas dinlle) 7 other MH there and not a no overnight parking sign to be seen in fact it was just like a CL, we quite enjoyed it.

Conclusion-
This photograph was taken from a layby in Scotland i've overnighted at twice now.
There may be the odd few pay sites in similar scenic locations to this.....but I got this for free.

3163hms.jpg

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Loch Garry?
Lochcarron.

A890 Stromeferry to Strathcarron and the carpark is on your left at Ardnarff. It's a known viewing point used by many tourist coaches so can get busy during the day, but early evening all is very peaceful and quiet. On both occasions I stayed there I was the only person 'on site'.

Hussar

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
I've wilded twice now at Stonhenge (not far from home, about 25 miles)
No problems on either occasion, young son facinated by stories of ghost druids, absolutely brilliant view of the stones. Would be a little dodgy at this time of year however. :Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think wild camping is dangerous and should not be encouraged there,s already too many of us doing it. best stay on sites where its safe. dont think of doing it abroad its worse.
cheers alan.

Happy Hippy

Free Member
May 16, 2010
In my bus
Funster No
MH
Scruffy old bus
Exp
Full time since April 2007, part time since early 80's
i think wild camping is dangerous and should not be encouraged there,s already too many of us doing it. best stay on sites where its safe. dont think of doing it abroad its worse.
cheers alan.

I've been doing it for a few years continuously and feel quite safe :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back