Another post - sorry - Aluminium corriosion (1 Viewer)

redpis

Free Member
Mar 8, 2009
Funster No
Hi,

Last week whilst drilling the back of my Carioca 656 a brown fibrous mushey goo cam out, oh dear!! rotten wood.

The upshot was a complete strip out of the bed, ply wall, insulation and the replacement of 4 cross members and splicing in 4 peices of damaged timber.

The source of the mositure ingress was the high level brake light.

Whilst undertaking this work, inspecting the aluminium skin clear evidence showed a white powedery oxidisation had corroded through in several places, cleaned the area and filled and sprayed, so all is well, however, what elements would have caused this? is it possible that the damp wood caused some form of reaction with aluminium?

Whats your thoughts?

Cheers

Ian

ps if anyone need infor on what I did to repair, just mail.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi,

Last week whilst drilling the back of my Carioca 656 a brown fibrous mushey goo cam out, oh dear!! rotten wood.

The upshot was a complete strip out of the bed, ply wall, insulation and the replacement of 4 cross members and splicing in 4 peices of damaged timber.

Whilst undertaking this work, inspecting the aluminium skin clear evidence showed a white powedery oxidisation had corroded through in several places, cleaned the area and filled and sprayed, so all is well, however, what elements would have caused this? is it possible that the damp wood caused some form of reaction with aluminium?

Whats your thoughts?

Cheers

Ian

ps if anyone need infor on what I did to repair, just mail.
Oxygen/Water and Aluminium :thumb:
Clean up and seal/paint just as you have done, is all you can do
Geo

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
When wood rots it gives out chemicals that eat aluminium so when moisture gets into a motorhome structure and the frame members rot it doesn't take long before there are pinholes in the ali skin.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

4b2

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 Years
Hi,

Hi redpis, we also have a 656 and are concened at what you found. What year is your van?

bev

OP
OP
R

redpis

Free Member
Mar 8, 2009
Funster No
Hi redpis, we also have a 656 and are concened at what you found. What year is your van?

bev

Hi Bev

The van was registered in 2004, the tell tale signs (hindsight is such a wounderful thing):

1) Slight rippling of internal wall
2) Outer aluminium skin had very small patches of bubbling but in a line ( thought it was where the previous owner had fitted screws that were too long, but covered so I could not check, turned out to be the line where the supporting baton was)
3) Rusting of the high level light terminals.

Fingers crossed for you

Ian

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats the problem with poor british built vans .germany use aluminium frames .bit like our old english caravans they did the same .we never learn thats why so many go to the wall.
also sometimes aluminium is better left just to oxodise .not put paint on as this traps moisture and sweats. think of aluminium boats always best not painted. if you do use a good etch primer.
mind you its also why eriba ,hymer etc cost more to begin with.

4b2

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 Years
The Carioca 656 is not a "poor British-built van", its Italian :Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
sorry !i didnt realise .i,ll try to shut up. anyway is it built on a poorly built fiat. ha ha .

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
if you do use a good etch primer.

Did exactly that with my car when I first bought it.....Got all the surface corrosion/powdering off.Then spent ages cleaning them....

A coat of etch primer and then the top coats,

Still on there after 30 years so that says something....

Mind you it doesn't come out in the rain......:roflmto:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cant be that stupid i didnt buy it. i did put a laugh after wards nothing wrong with a bit of fun. world would be much nicer if friendly barter was compulsory.

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
I am not sure that the rotten wood reacting with the aluminium will be the problem as the ali needs to have corroded to let the water in in the first place!
Think this is the problem we always had with the old Land Rovers: ali sheets fixed with steel screws. The ali reacts with the steel setting up electrolysis like a battery. If the manufacturers invested a few pence into fibre or plastic washers the old Land Rovers would last three times as long. So that wouldn't be good for profits!!!
Patrick

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
with the problem on old caravans doing just the same it always amazes me its still the way some builders build their vans. dont they ever learn or dont they care?
bedford buses had this typeof structure as well . hymer etc know how to do it. and its reflected in the resale prices.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Frequently the process goes something like this:

Walls made of sandwich construction using a timber frame and ali skin.
Roof made of sandwich construction using a timber frame and ali skin.
Roof and walls joined together with plated steel screws through ali skin into timber frame.
Ali finishing trim fitted over joint with non setting mastic between but fixed with plated screws through ali trim and skin into timber frame.
Plastic finisher fitted to hide fixing screws.

Problem is that in the process of fitting the fixing screws the plating gets damaged, this allows moisture and oxygen to attack the steel screws which then rust away leaving a perfect funnel right into the heart of the upper framework members. This moisture then wicks along the timbers and wet rot sets in.
Wet rot in wood gives off chemicals that will eat ali leaving you with a line of perforations showing where the timber members are.

I know this because I had to rebuild a quarter of the framework of my last motorhome (1990 Autohomes Highwayman) and completely reskin the coachbuilt body!

D.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
with the problem on old caravans doing just the same it always amazes me its still the way some builders build their vans. dont they ever learn or dont they care?
bedford buses had this typeof structure as well . hymer etc know how to do it. and its reflected in the resale prices.

You are so right....

There's no learning curve or maybe....He says cynically...They realised that the shorter time they lasted the better because then the owner MIGHT just be in the market for buying a new one.....

!!!!!!:RollEyes:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
or do we blame the customer they keep buying them. look at a eriba even when they are really old the frame is still strong .i think its time for the end user to ask the questions and use their money wisely.i imagine the view is it sells keep doing it.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Let's face it.....

There are so many sales scams and tricks nowadays....(My Pet topic) Over-packaging and making things appear better and bigger than they actually are....

Just take the chocolates out of the box and measure the "wasted" space you are paying for...

I have a 37 year car....No Body Rot

Delorean built their's ....out of Stainless steel...

In this Throw-Away society today it makes perfect Sellers sense to build to last for a Finite amount of time....

They could build to last for much longer but where's the sense in that???

Sales would tumble...

:RollEyes:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but will anybody that as read this go out and buy one ?i think they will and thats that. i wouldnt buy a wood framed camper . i think i would rather build my own in steel than buy a wooden one. lots of sealer and gooo in between will last alot longer than wood.
they do good ones in oz and take them really wild places . dragged behind 4x4,s
thats the sort i like .
cheers alan.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
but will anybody that as read this go out and buy one ?i think they will and thats that. i wouldnt buy a wood framed camper . i think i would rather build my own in steel than buy a wooden one. lots of sealer and gooo in between will last alot longer than wood.
they do good ones in oz and take them really wild places . dragged behind 4x4,s
thats the sort i like .
cheers alan.

Hi Alan.

Doesn't steel suffer even worse from rust/corrosion?

Also very heavy...I favour Carbon Fibre or Glass Fibre composite manufacture....

Plenty strong enough if constructed correctly....no corrosion......light......easily formed into any shape......waterproof.....Again if constructed properly......Easily repaired......Colour of your choice......:Cool:

I am amazed....after being personally involved a few years ago in an accident in a grp car....just how strong it is......

Just needs fire retardant properties in the resin.

Went on a course at LOTUS once...and manufacturing techniques have moved on even since then...

Carbon fibre is the in thing now....Need a big "oven" for a motorhome though...

Link Removed

TCM: Are you using your carbon fiber roof on the K2?

Matt: Yes. We use nothing but that roof now. We made it standard. After we began installing the carbon fiber roof our warranty and leak issues are gone and strength is through the roof. My brother-in-law took my Hallmark Guanella with a carbon fiber roof through a TSA gate at thirty miles per hour. He forgot the camper was on the truck. After some gel coat and sanding, the roof looks and works like new. The carbon fiber roof has exceeded our expectations.

Steve.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you use factory painted steel its ok . think they dip it when its hot or something.only grind where you weld then cold gavanise it .use galvafroid or one of the marine makes .its ok . you could use aluminium its available. i just noticed that alot of the ozzy adventure trailer had steel construction and it seems to be ok. they build there 5ers with it as well/ might not be light weight but built to last .
i,m lucky other than the roof and the axle boogies all mine is aluminium even the chassis and floor . onlt 23 yrs old and is always ready for the next adventure.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Certainly built to last....:Cool:

23 years eh......That proves something...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would advise anyone thinking of getting a 5er to look on ebay fifth wheel tralers or mini artics .they do come up often . and can be reasonable .make great homebuilds as the walls are straight . if anyone needs to have alook at one give me a shout i dont mind showing mine to anyone. just to give you an idea i payed 1650 quid for mine being pulled with my vw lt50 .ten years ago. built the mitzy 3 years ago as wanterd more seats and abit more pulling power .several companies make the trailers lynton or vipex just to name a start. use google to research . have fun we do. cheers alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back