Wightlink query (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Anyone know how hot they are on lengths ? my van 6.60m after 6.0 it gets very expensive.We only want to go for the day racing Moto X any thoughts ?

edit/ if i say I am 6.00 mtr its about 40 quid if I say 6.60 its over 100 quid shall I take risk ?

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Should not be a problem - we were going to go over last year - we are a 27ft (8.2 metres pulled with a Land Rover that makes 11.6 metres on the road - that was not going to be any problem with Red Funnel but there was a surcharge on the height which I think was going to be ÂŁ20 - we did not go in the end as we wanted to go end of Sept beginning of October and they shut down two of the four camp sites in Mid Sept and the two that were left were fully booked !!! possibly they had that planned wrongly somehow.:Doh:

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
I live on the Island, but we've never been measured on Wightlink (vehicles that is!) ::bigsmile:

Mind you, if there's a jobsworth on duty you may be out of luck - just plead ignorance!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
You have been lucky Allie, last time I went off the island I had booked online as a 7 mtr (actually 7.15 :RollEyes:), when I got to the check in at Fishbourne I got the jobsworth. `What time you booked for?` `8.00`, `Av you got tickets? `Just need to pick them up from the office`, `What length is it?, `7 mtrs`, Then the dreaded measuring wheel came out:whatthe:.

He didn`t say anything when he handed me the length ticket but I felt like a criminal !

Secret is, when he asks if you have tickets, say Yes! Then go and pick them up from the office.

Answer to OP is, it is worth taking the chance, especially at Portsmouth terminal as they rarely measure, but not unknown and can get very grippy at busy times. Book online well in advance and have the tickets sent in the post.

Now you know what we have to put up with every time we want to go anywhere! :ROFLMAO:

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
LOL!!
Yes we really are at a disadvantage aren't we? :Sad:
Can't just jump in the van and head off. :cry:

The Portsmouth side are very laid back - only once ever have they asked "Are you booked?" and that was at a really busy time.

ps Yes booking on-line and having ticket sent is the best option

Highwayman999

Free Member
Aug 12, 2009
Wellingborough
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
last time I went off the island I had booked online as a 7 mtr (actually 7.15 :RollEyes:), when I got to the check in at Fishbourne I got the jobsworth. `What time you booked for?` `8.00`, `Av you got tickets? `Just need to pick them up from the office`, `What length is it?, `7 mtrs`, Then the dreaded measuring wheel came out:whatthe:.

He didn`t say anything when he handed me the length ticket but I felt like a criminal !

Exactly the same as us....but the ticket office took no notice of the length ticket. It was only the bikes that added the extra length and I was prepared to take them off and put them inside

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Well I went for it booked 6.00mtrs Arrived at ort pulled up are you booked etc etc handed me ticket for 6.1 to 6.5. But no troubles at desk.::bigsmile:

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Well I went for it booked 6.00mtrs Arrived at ort pulled up are you booked etc etc handed me ticket for 6.1 to 6.5. But no troubles at desk.::bigsmile:

Great stuff!
Portsmouth are definitely more laid-back than Fishbourne, though this may have something to do with a scam the operatives had some years ago (the details of which escape me now!)
Hope you enjoyed your day ::bigsmile:

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
The `scam` was called a fiver when I did a lot of back and forth with cars bought from auctions etc. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back