Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

I'm on the ferry to Norway and there are some really talented crocheting ladies on here. I've put mine away :LOL:. The lady next to me is doing a white lacy runner with thin thread and a tiny hook :cry::cry:.

Oh no, you got performance anxiety ;)

Some of the fine lacy stuff is beautiful but it must be so fiddly.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Some of the fine lacy stuff is beautiful but it must be so fiddly.

No more difficult that what we do with bulky yarn ...... just smaller and grows slower :)

Unless I can see a photo of the finished garment or "look with my hands" I can't really help with the pattern.

Is the photo of the crochet what you have already done - it looks really good.

I am making a "thing" to replace my old cardi and the pattern is full of errors.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
My "thing" is a shrug type garment as well and I am looking at the make up part of it in case that will help you.

Mine will be made from small squares which are joined to make a big square.

The big square is then folded in half to make a rectangle with one long side and the two short sides open. Each of the short sides are sewn (or crocheted) together from the long open end of the rectangle to 8 inches from the top (closed long end) of the rectangle. (It will look like a flapless bag with holes in the sides :) )

These open ends form the armhole openings.

You then need to crochet in rounds around the armhole openings to form the cuffs according to your pattern, and then round the third opening which forms the fronts, back and neck.

Hope I have not confused you even more. I have a feeling this is one of those things that is very difficult to describe but easy to do once you have seen it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
CFCDB7F0-9B71-4AE5-8FE7-4A669352C799.png
2A9A0437-5D49-4650-8B45-EC77EB7246FF.png
Hmmm @Puddleduck I wonder whether I’ll be better trying to wing it from the pictures. I only started crocheting in January and these diagrams can be so confusing if it’s not a round.

The pics here are what it should look like in theory.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
QUOTE="Ven, post: 2920510, member: 3693"]View attachment 243110 View attachment 243111 Hmmm @Puddleduck I wonder whether I’ll be better trying to wing it from the pictures. I only started crocheting in January and these diagrams can be so confusing if it’s not a round.

The pics here are what it should look like in theory.[/QUOTE]

LOVE it, LOVE the design ... AND ... LOVE the colour.

It's on my bucket list NOW ...

Ranks highly as well.

That'll make sure I live a long life :LOL:. It has to stand in line!

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
QUOTE="Ven, post: 2920510, member: 3693"]View attachment 243110 View attachment 243111 Hmmm @Puddleduck I wonder whether I’ll be better trying to wing it from the pictures. I only started crocheting in January and these diagrams can be so confusing if it’s not a round.

LOVE it, LOVE the design ... AND ... LOVE the colour.

It's on my bucket list NOW ...

Ranks highly as well.

That'll make sure I live a long life :LOL:. It has to stand in line![/QUOTE]

That’s what I thought, not sure if it’s going to resemble this in any way though by the time I finish it ;)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Parked up with some friends this week and she leant me her lovely striped crocheted blanket which she made using the Attic 24 blog.

Just one stitch and I am now wondering if I can learn to crochet so I can make one for myself. :LOL:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Parked up with some friends this week and she leant me her lovely striped crocheted blanket which she made using the Attic 24 blog.

Just one stitch and I am now wondering if I can learn to crochet so I can make one for myself. :LOL:
One stitch sounds like my type of crocheting!!!
Do you want your hooks back?!!!:LOL:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
One stitch sounds like my type of crocheting!!!
Do you want your hooks back?!!!:LOL:

One stitch , makes it sound so simple o_O

No I feel those hooks had your name on them with the purple case :) they look so lovely displayed even if you never use them :LOL:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
One stitch , makes it sound so simple o_O

No I feel those hooks had your name on them with the purple case :) they look so lovely displayed even if you never use them :LOL:
They've been on their holibobs to France but remained in the case ! (The lazy things!:LOL:)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Sorry I have not contributed to this thread for a while - been away and then had house guests plus my parents have been unwell.

Almost finished my shrug but I might undo part of the sleeves and redo them :)

I am really pleased with how it looks now it is made up (except for the sleeves), the blocks looked awful when I made them but blocking them to size made them look as they should. I will probably use the basic shape again to make another shrug as it is so easy to wear, mine is much less lacy than @Ven 's pattern and I quite fancy doing one in a much more solid looking block, maybe in Scandinavian colours, blues and white or cream would be nice.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
View attachment 243110 View attachment 243111 Hmmm @Puddleduck I wonder whether I’ll be better trying to wing it from the pictures. I only started crocheting in January and these diagrams can be so confusing if it’s not a round.

I think you should wing it using the photo as a guide :) It looks to me as if the back is a big block and the sleeves and front are added onto the block.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
How do you hold yours???

The hook of course. On the ferry the expert crocheters held theirs like holding a pen. I can't do that. I hold mine like this. It looks really clumsy agaist their elegance. However if it's the only way for me that's the way I'll continue.

Sorry for the frightening close-up, juggling tablet and hook.

20180726_212059~2.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
How do you hold yours???

The hook of course. On the ferry the expert crocheters held theirs like holding a pen. I can't do that. I hold mine like this. It looks really clumsy agaist their elegance. However if it's the only way for me that's the way I'll continue.

View attachment 245590

What an interesting question - and one I have never considered before. The first thing I would say is that if the method you use works for you then you are doing it correctly :)

Then I checked how I hold my hook - and found it depends on the hook! The old style hooks without an ergonomic grip I hold in a similar way to your photo but with my index finger much further forward and my thumb and middle finger sideways on to the hook, not top and bottom, the ergonomic grips force me to use more of a pen hold. If I use a pen hold on the standard hook I get cramp in my hand.

I think how you hold your hook also depends on the shape of your hand and the proportions of your finger length and width to you palm length and width. I have "workers' hands" with short fingers and wide palms :)

Jun 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
How do you hold yours???

View attachment 245590

That's just how I hold mine. It looks awkward especially as I'm a lefty who crochet using her right hand, but as Helen says, it's whatever works for you :)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
A bit of s long shot a I know but is anyone going to be at Lymington and can act as courier to transport a number of poppies to Scotland.

A few northern lasses (not me) took up the challenge to crochet poppies and now need to get them to @Puddleduck somehow. Worse case scenario is that they will have to be posted, but trying to avoid the cost if possible.

Thanks

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
A bit of s long shot a I know but is anyone going to be at Lymington and can act as courier to transport a number of poppies to Scotland.

A few northern lasses (not me) took up the challenge to crochet poppies and now need to get them to @Puddleduck somehow. Worse case scenario is that they will have to be posted, but trying to avoid the cost if possible.

Thanks

We will be your way on the 8th or 9th September and could pick them up if that would help? I need to conform the date with my son who lives just south of Manchester.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
That would be great, I'm sure we can sort out a meeting place. Just let me know the dates you are around. Happy to meet at the motorway services or Lancasters park and ride which is just off junction 34
Thanks

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
That would be great, I'm sure we can sort out a meeting place. Just let me know the dates you are around. Happy to meet at the motorway services or Lancasters park and ride which is just off junction 34
Thanks

Once I have times / date I'll private message you. We have had a couple of sleepovers at the P&R (asked the council for permission first) after ferry journeys to / from Ireland via SeaTruck. It is a very good facility and was almost empty when we were there.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Grey Jacket 1.JPG
Grey Jacket 4.JPG

Grey Jacket now completed. The individual squares are 8 inches (or there about) and they were attached by joining crochet into a rectange 5 squares by 6 squares. This was then folded in half along the longer side (so 6 squares by 2.5 squares) and the short sides attached by joining crocher leaving gaps for the arms. I used "round the post" double crochet (single crochet in US terminology) to make short cuffs (Round the post just means that instead of working into the space or into the stitch you work around the stem, or post, of the stich below). The big opening makes the neck, fronts and back and I did several rows of round the post treble (double crochet in US terminology) to make a fake rib hem.

Any type of crochet square would work and you can just alter the number of squares to make it fit. I think I will do a wider hem next time though. The yarn was variegated which meant not so many yarn joins but I would use separate colours next time (or all the same colour!). it was vital to block and set each square before using it.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
New project alert!

Today, I had a meeting with a local councillor who loves the idea of putting poppy displays in the town's shop windows. She's also organising an indoor 'street party' for after the Remembrance Parade so wants lots of bunting.

I'm going to be busy :)

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
New project alert!

Today, I had a meeting with a local councillor who loves the idea of putting poppy displays in the town's shop windows. She's also organising an indoor 'street party' for after the Remembrance Parade so wants lots of bunting.

I'm going to be busy :)
Do you want me to start making poppies Janine

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Thanks
We are going to Malvern, then travelling to Aberfeldy via Liverpool. If anyone going to Lymington then Malvern, I could pickup and transport on?

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are going to Malvern, then travelling to Aberfeldy via Liverpool. If anyone going to Lymington then Malvern, I could pickup and transport on?
I’ll be at Lymington then Malvern, I’d be happy to be part of the Funster courier network :D

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun