Gas Regulator? (1 Viewer)

May 22, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 600DT
Exp
Since 2012
What would be the symptoms of a faulty gas regulator?

Back in March we had some intermittent issues with our Truma boiler starting/running and I put it down to not being serviced for many years.
We've now got problems with the Fridge igniting. Again this had not been serviced for many years so I cleaned the burner unit and fitted a new gas jet. I also cleaned the ignition electrode.
The fridge still struggles to ignite and it sounds like a lack of gas.

I'm now thinking it may be a gas-supply issue as both fridge and boiler share similar symptoms. Yes, weve got enough gas in the tanks!

The moho is fitted with Gaslow and has a bulkhead regulator that was fitted more than ten years ago.
Last year we had a full Habitation Service that supposedly checked the gas-system pressure but I must confess, I'm not convinced about the usefulness of this Hab-Service.

Any ideas?

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
You may have answered your own question... I think i’d invest in a new reg... just to eliminate.. else it’ll bug you...

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
What about the hob burners? Does one of them appear to turn itself down when you light another? If so a classic symptom of a failing regulator and as you say it is over 10 years old so it ought to be replaced anyway. When my last hab check was done Dave Newell replaced the original (10 yrs old) with the spare I always carry, despite not having any problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Homer-Adria
May 22, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 600DT
Exp
Since 2012
Ive just looked at my gas reg and its 37mb, 6kg/hr... Does this mean the system was originally set-up for Butane rather than Propane? I read somewhere that "continental vans" (mine is a German import) are mostly set-up for Butane. Or does it mean that I'm running on old specs.... new refillable Gaslows only seem to be 30mb??
The van is 2004 Hymer fitted with twin Gaslow bottles and we top-up with LPG both in UK and abroad.

Maybe the original owners didn't change the gas-reg when they fitted Gaslow?

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Agree with the above but where have you been filling up the Gaslow ?

I found that after regularly filling up in mainland Europe, the pressure dropped significantly. In UK, you get 100% propane but not necessarily in mainland Europe. After purging the Gaslow and filling up in UK, full pressure was restored. I know, because I have a Gaslow manual changeover system WITH pressure gauge. The Truma boiler doesn't like low pressure - it's gas hungry and would probably trip out.

With regard to the fridge, have you checked the earth return at the burner/ignitor? Mine refused to light and traced it to a corroded piece of angled metalwork supporting the ignitor probe. This acts as part of the earth return system.

PS . Just read the OP's latest comment. I had a 2002 Hymer and that came with 30mb bulkhead regulator.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
new refillable Gaslows only seem to be 30mb??

.Since September 2003 a European standard (EN 1949) has made the supply pressure the same for both gases throughout the EU at 30mbar.

I had a 2001 Hymer import, and changed it to 30mb when I installed the Gaslow system. Had no problems with any appliances.

OP
OP
Homer-Adria
May 22, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 600DT
Exp
Since 2012
Hey Wagoneer, you've mentioned several very useful things...
We first noticed probs with the Truma (cutting out) when we had filled LPG at base of mountains... we were heading high Alps for a fortnight of skiing and the temp dropped to -8. I just put the issue down to low temp causing drop in pressure. Maybe it was also the LPG?

WRT the fridge, the ignition system seems to spark ok as I get a woof as the gas fires. Is then goes out when I release the button... even after holding it long enough for gas-cutout to disable.
As I'm writing this I'm becoming more certain its the gas-reg

OP
OP
Homer-Adria
May 22, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 600DT
Exp
Since 2012
thanks Scotjimland,
I think I'm going to fit a new reg.
I'm just concerned about the big difference in flow rate... existing one is 6kg/hr versus the new Gaslow reg and Clesse ones both at 1.5kg/hr.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
thanks Scotjimland,
I think I'm going to fit a new reg.
I'm just concerned about the big difference in flow rate... existing one is 6kg/hr versus the new Gaslow reg and Clesse ones both at 1.5kg/hr.

never had any problems with mine..

according to the specs, It has a 21.kw flow rate should be more than adequate for a fridge, say 500 watt + water heater 2kw and hob 3 burners 5 kw

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back