Trouble with Clio using Car-A-Tow (1 Viewer)

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Guys

Can anyone comment on why you may think my car won't start after being towed with a car-a-tow A frame.
Recently had this fitted, and was advised by the garage to have a key cut that did not have the chip inside the key. But we have found every time we use the new key (without chip) that when we reach our destination we can not get the Clio to start.

I will ring the garage next week when they re-open and let them know, but just thought someone out there may have also encountered the same or similar problem and may have the solution.

symptons are: turn key and will not fire, or will not turn at all, it just clicks. Tried locking and unlocking, in fact we've tried every combination including leaving it alone for a while to have its own hissie fit, and just like the wife she still refuses to budge!

any comment welcome, rude or otherwise

all this considered and they still say I am The Stig.....:Angry:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
If you are trying to start the car with the key without the chip I don't think it will work.

I think that this key is only to disconnect the manual steering column lock so that the car will tow correctly on the A frame without enabling the onboard computerised controls.

I may of course be wrong but it seems plausible to me.

Lunarman

KSH

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As above, only use the new key for keeping steering lock off whilst towing, use a chipped key to start it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
the stig

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
sorry guys, forgot to mention, but i realise the unchipped key is just for towing, and I do use the correct key to try and start engine.

Blame the wife, she typed it!

happytraveller123

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Funster No
you are exactly right lunarman. only the chipped key will disable the immobiliser and allow the vehicle to start !

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
sounds like the batteries going flat.
have you had the ignition switched on whilst towing the clio???
instead if just turning off the steering lock.??
just a thought but maybe something you may have overlooked.
:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
the stig

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Plenty of life in battery its as if the immobiliser is not responding

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant see the 'spare' key being the problem but if it turns out to be that then simply use the proper key in the ignition but lock the doors manually with the 'spare'.

as an afterthough.....the immob system will be on a rolling code...a new code each time the key is inserted in the ign... and turning the ign on with the 'wrong' key will still send a new code to the proper key which isnt there to receive it so the ign wont recognise the keys code next time its used....the immob code and key code are out of kilter.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
have you tried the inertia fuel cut off switch if the car has had a minor impact from jolting on the a frame it may have been tripped.
i remember this being a problem on old ford sierras as it was mounted in the boot.
if you had a puncture and changed the wheel then threw the punctured wheel in the boot the car wouldn't start.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best speak with renault on this one, it may just be moving it with out starting sets an anti theft computer problem.how do you get it to start afterwards or is it still dead.
bet its real simple when you know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back