Too old, too fat!? (2 Viewers)

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
The top box on our Grom will take both of our bike jackets when we park up, helmets and gloves are put into bags and chained to the wheel with a disc lock kept in the top box. We are then free to walk around wearing armoured jeans and ankle boots. Not ideal when v hot but still gives us options to visit and Park anywhere. Shopping is done on the way home and we get get the essentials in (beer, wine and Gin) easily.
Size of the bike is determined by size of the garage / payload on the van and do you wish to have a trailer or not. Our Grom is in or out of the garage in 3 mins either way. No hassle and still legal on payload, I would love to bring our Trophy 1200 or 855 Scrambler but neither would fit in the garage and the trailer option is not one I want at this time.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Good luck with the CBT. I did the course about 5 years ago with a load of yobbish 16 year old moped monkeys

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Dawn might like the style of the monkey bike but she won't like carrying the helmets round all day. Get something with some storage capacity and then you will get the full benefit of the bike.
@Mousy Because our Bobbie the Hobby is a big girl we decided on a scoot to get us to places Bobbie wouldn't go. We're ex bikers so looked around for something between 125/250 ish but soon realised a scoot would be better for storage and as @Anthea M says we decided on Pam the Yam a Yamaha Vity 125. Cheep as chips as a trial last winter and it worked a treat. Set off in long pants, jackets and skid lids. Get where your going and strip off to shorts and T shirts as there's plenty of room to store them under the seat and in the top box and shopping a breeze as there's loads of room once coats and lids are on. Go for function over form (y)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I would suggest Honda Scooter , depending on room good choice. but SH300 very popular for 2 up comfort . I have a Burgman 400 but that's getting too big for garage carry .
We have the Honda SH300 and we both love it. Not too heavy for me to manoeuvre at parking speeds (I kept dropping my Suzuki Burgman 400 when trying to park it!) and Clifton loves it too. You’re more than welcome to give it a go when you get home - of course it may mean Martin has to take a test if he doesn’t already have a licence xx

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I beat you in both counts - shorter and heavier and we manage nicely on our 125cc PCX. I would suggest a scooter being an 'easier to get on with option' if Martin is not a past biker.

You can have a go on ours at Lymington if you want and try it in the garage for size.

Sorry to but in but if you didn't mind can I try your scooter in my garage please ?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just bought a 110 Yamaha Delight scooter with top box

My van has a garage but getting the bike in, having to get in and strap it would be a pain

I have decided that a towbar carrier will be easier and I think make the scooter more likely to be used

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Have a look at this.

I got the heads up from a member on here and it works very well. 3 mins in or out.
Not cheap @ £500 delivered from Italy but priceless for convenience. Swoped the main tie down straps now for "proper" ratchet versions, 100% secure in the back.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
@Vansflyer

The storage system looks really easy to use, please can you let me know the make / name of the manufacturer. Thanks Martin

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Here you go.
https://www.campingsportmagenta.com/it/portamoto-da-garage-per-camper-speedy-system
I couldn't find it anywhere else that would ship at sensible cost. I was wrong about £500, it cost me £400 landed in the UK and they are now on offer at €299. Shipping was £€50.
FYI You have to put an Italian NI number in if you order it online, after a bit of digging I found out all "0" work.
It really is a cracking system, so easy to use and not hard to fit. Italian instructions but google translate is your friend. Any other questions please ask, I am happy to help.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Have a look at this.

I got the heads up from a member on here and it works very well. 3 mins in or out.
Not cheap @ £500 delivered from Italy but priceless for convenience. Swoped the main tie down straps now for "proper" ratchet versions, 100% secure in the back.

Due to my garage layout, I need to push my scooter in backwards. Do you think from your experience with this rack, the system could work in this way, meaning the support would hold the rear wheel and strap accordingly?

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Due to my garage layout, I need to push my scooter in backwards. Do you think from your experience with this rack, the system could work in this way, meaning the support would hold the rear wheel and strap accordingly?

Maybe... the "trick" with this system is that the one wheel is held in place with an adjustable "clamp". Once strapped it keeps the bike upright whilst you push the bike in and before putting the proper tie downs on. No need to go in the garage to strap the front / rear once it has been pushed in.
If you could attach the straps to a point on the rear of the scooter (grab handle maybe) then I don't see why it wouldn't work. As long as the wheel fits into the rack and nothing "like a mudguard" stops it going in properly. How do you get on pushing the bike in "backwards" up the ramp? We are in North Brum if you wanted to come and look at it / try for size.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Maybe... the "trick" with this system is that the one wheel is held in place with an adjustable "clamp". Once strapped it keeps the bike upright whilst you push the bike in and before putting the proper tie downs on. No need to go in the garage to strap the front / rear once it has been pushed in.
If you could attach the straps to a point on the rear of the scooter (grab handle maybe) then I don't see why it wouldn't work. As long as the wheel fits into the rack and nothing "like a mudguard" stops it going in properly. How do you get on pushing the bike in "backwards" up the ramp? We are in North Brum if you wanted to come and look at it / try for size.

Thank you for the information.

I find pushing it in backwards actually easier than the conventional way, giving me greater control when entering and exiting the garage. The only one issue is getting the rear wheel lined up with the cradle, where as with this rack would make the process even easier.

One other question, does it add much to the overall height of the bike or is there a channel that the wheels sit in?

I may well take you up on your offer before spending the readies, much appreciated(y)

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
As long as it works for you getting it in or out it don't matter :)
Front wheel (or in your case the rear) sits in the cradle so adds maybe 3 -4 cm. The other wheel rolls in behind on the garage floor so no difference in height at that end. If height is an issue I will measure it for you.
No problem you looking at the van, it's always tricky buying something online that doesn't have great pics and is in another country! If you need any close up pics let me know, it's my ugly mug in the video and the van is on the drive so no issue.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
As long as it works for you getting it in or out it don't matter :)
Front wheel (or in your case the rear) sits in the cradle so adds maybe 3 -4 cm. The other wheel rolls in behind on the garage floor so no difference in height at that end. If height is an issue I will measure it for you.
No problem you looking at the van, it's always tricky buying something online that doesn't have great pics and is in another country! If you need any close up pics let me know, it's my ugly mug in the video and the van is on the drive so no issue.

Excellent, in which case there will be no issue with the height, I'm liking this concept just need to discuss it with the boss:)

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Excellent, in which case there will be no issue with the height, I'm liking this concept just need to discuss it with the boss:)[/
If you look at the video, time around 2:40 you can see the "slot" that the wheel sits in, maybe even less than 4cm difference.
My "Boss" loves the rack as I don't get stressed or swear getting it in or out ;-)

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
I had a scooter Piagio 500 cc until I was 70. It was like sitting in an armchair and I loved it despite the arthritis, I am 5'1" and not a light weight for my height, it wasn't the size of me or the bike that ended in giving it to my son's wife, it was the weight of the bike which defeated me.
There's two of you to combat that so I'd say go for a 250cc bucket seat cruiser, don't get a monkey, scary.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Well Mrs & Mr Mousy have been to the Honda showroom. The monkey bike is super cute but unfortunately only suitable for one. The Grom is not as cute but still really cool. Once again the seat isn't big enough for the two of us ~ unless I can find a way of shrinking my legs as with both of us on the seat my knees nearly touch the handlebars. Not good unless we don't go around any corners.
So it looks as if it will need to be a scooter or possibly a Vespa (a little more stylish?).
Our Hymer is based on a Mercedes chassis - this means that while we have a large garage the maximum 'low down' width of the bike needs to be less than 550mm as the transmission tunnel intrudes into what is otherwise a good sized garage. We are looking forward to checking out our fellow Funster's rides at the Lymington rally

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Photos PLEASE! Just got a rescue dog and was thinking my days of going out on the bike were over, but maybe not.
Thanks.
Sorry I never got round to replying to this. When we get to Lymington, at the end of the week, we will set the scoot up with the dog basket on and get a couple of pics for you. To be honest, I would like something a little sturdier for her, but have yet to find anything.
This is the version we have at the moment. We have lined it with rubber backed carpet to provide shelter from the wind and fashioned a cover for it that doesn't make too much noise when going along. It shelters her from the sun (We don't go out in the rain).
China_Willow_cruiser_pet_bicycle_basket201311131346521.jpg

Although while looking for this image, I have found this which looks stronger.
https://www.basil.com/en/buddy-blue.html

Jun 16, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
4 years.
Go for it! Your not in anyway to fat! Your a happy size & thats what matters.We are of a happy weight if you know what I mean! LoL! & we use a Suzuki Address 110cc to get about once we have parked the Motorhome up on a pitch. We find it great for nipping out shopping or to see the local sites when we are touring. Had no probs & it's very sprightly + good on fuel>

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back