Touring the UK? - you deserve a medal ! (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Emigrate if Britain is so awful (y)
What's stopping you, work, family, language???
Can't be that bad then.

As for having to plan or book - not so, done quite a few trips just Britstopping...
Whoa... calm down, it's the travelling around that's 'so awful' not Britain itself, I live in a lovely part of our country, so don't need you to tell me to emigrate 'cos I think the roads are crowded..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Emigrate if Britain is so awful (y)
What's stopping you, work, family, language???
Can't be that bad then.

As for having to plan or book - not so, done quite a few trips just Britstopping...
I don't think Britain is awful,,just prefer touring in Europe,,mainly because its different..Spent all my working life tramping the roads and towns of the UK..Its nice seeing pastures new and it is a treat not to be sat in traffic..Mind you after a lovely visit to Canterbury yesterday after arriving in Dover from France we had a very quiet trouble free drive home to Derbyshire,,Unusual but welcome,,BUSBY,,:):)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That's fine, stay where you are if Britain holds such little appeal for you. Leaves more room for those of us who can manage with the potholes and congestion and nowhere to stay.
unfortunately I have to come back but hopefully next year might be the last. I just do not comprehend how anyone who is a driver can accept the congestion , state of the roads and the constant imposition of rules designed to slow traffic even more rather than addressing and improving traffic flow

Britain is such a terrible place for motorhomes why are so many mainland Europeans coming over here?
No idea. I went to Leeds once. :)
so you just drive and stop overnight , day after day.. you never actually visit anywhere for more than a few hours ? As you said.. each to their own
yes normally. Even if I do stop for a day I never visit anywhere same as I don't in the UK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Who cares if they do or don't? They're here now enjoying what you lot don't want to, isn't that enough?
D.

It isn't that we don't like the UK, it's the fact that you have to plan to miss the congestion, you can't avoid the condition of the roads, few places to stop on the way and when you get there you can't always find a convenient place to park.

As others have said the UK is more suited to caravans, nothing wrong with them, I just don't want a caravan

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It isn't that we don't like the UK, it's the fact that you have to plan to miss the congestion, you can't avoid the condition of the roads, few places to stop on the way and when you get there you can't always find a convenient place to park.

As others have said the UK is more suited to caravans, nothing wrong with them, I just don't want a caravan

We left Telford last Friday afternoon headed to Droitwich for the chateau impney hillclimb and at that point in time that was all the plan we had. Booked two nights at Winchcombe c&cc Site for Sunday and Monday evenings via the club app. Monday decided we'd like to stay a extra night "no problem sir". Yesterday we booked three nights on Oxford c&cc Site for tonight till saturday, all done via the app. Drove down today and only but two bits of congestion: stow on the wold junction and a short spell on Oxford ring road, in total we lost seven minutes over our original eta. I've experienced worse congestion and road conditions in France Belgium and Holland before now. Where we go next i have no idea,we'll sort something out on friday. Such a tedious chore all this planning.

D.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
No one has mentioned using the various clubs temporary holiday sites etc. We find these very cheap but welcoming and usually somewhere interesting. UK has a lot to offer. Our plan is to use the UK summer to tour UK and tour Europe at other times.

That's what we've planning to do. In fact we're off to a couple of rallies on Friday for a week each.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
We left Telford last Friday afternoon headed to Droitwich for the chateau impney hillclimb and at that point in time that was all the plan we had. Booked two nights at Winchcombe c&cc Site for Sunday and Monday evenings via the club app. Monday decided we'd like to stay a extra night "no problem sir". Yesterday we booked three nights on Oxford c&cc Site for tonight till saturday, all done via the app. Drove down today and only but two bits of congestion: stow on the wold junction and a short spell on Oxford ring road, in total we lost seven minutes over our original eta. I've experienced worse congestion and road conditions in France Belgium and Holland before now. Where we go next i have no idea,we'll sort something out on friday. Such a tedious chore all this planning.

D.

Not really touring though............just over 100 miles

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Mileage isn't everything

The thread was about road conditions and congestion here and in France/Spain....mileage does sometimes matter

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The thread was about road conditions and congestion here and in France/Spain....mileage does sometimes matter
You're really clutching at straws to support your mistaken belief now. You said you can't tour the UK because of congestion, poor roads and nowhere to stop, I give you a factual, happening now example of how mistaken you are and that's the best you can come back with?

You don't like touring uk, that's fine, I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. Keep on touring abroad, it leaves more room for me and other like minded people who can enjoy this country for what it is. What I do find irritating is people who believe their viewpoint is the only valid one. Good night!

D.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I only wing it and stop when i want depending on traffic but i'm in no rush to get anywhere i'll get there at some point

Stop where you want ?.....really ?.....and parking (not camping) when you get there?...............

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
You're really clutching at straws to support your mistaken belief now. You said you can't tour the UK because of congestion, poor roads and nowhere to stop, I give you a factual, happening now example of how mistaken you are and that's the best you can come back with?

You don't like touring uk, that's fine, I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. Keep on touring abroad, it leaves more room for me and other like minded people who can enjoy this country for what it is. What I do find irritating is people who believe their viewpoint is the only valid one. Good night!

D.

Touring is not travelling 100 miles in a week......or maybe it is....................I also find people who believe their viewpoint is the only valid one irritating............Good night to you too.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Yes pull over and park have a coffee i'm not sitting in a slow moving queue if i dont have to i'll stretch my legs as well

...On a motorway?.............

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Touring is not travelling 100 miles in a week...

Well I sure as hell don't call it staying at home. . Surely "touring" is whatever the individual wants it to be? Whether it be going round the UK coast on a bike or doing 100 miles in a week it's still "touring" isn't it?

D.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
My satnav warns of traffic queue ahead well in advance and i would pull of motorway and park i also have a dog with me so i use the time to let her have a walk around as well

......you don't need those warnings in France..;)

I am fortunate(?) to own 2 elderly MHs............a 5.5m Eribacar and a 7.5m A class

The Eribacar is easy to park and I use it as a daily driver, the A class is a pain to park in the UK but a joy in France and Spain where space is not a problem......

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Well I sure as hell don't call it staying at home. . Surely "touring" is whatever the individual wants it to be? Whether it be going round the UK coast on a bike or doing 100 miles in a week it's still "touring" isn't it?
D.

I do more than 100 miles a week...........but don't call it touring

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
......you don't need those warnings in France..;)

I am fortunate(?) to own 2 elderly MHs............a 5.5m Eribacar and a 7.5m A class

The Eribacar is easy to park and I use it as a daily driver, the A class is a pain to park in the UK but a joy in France and Spain where space is not a problem......
You get traffic jams in france and the road by madrid if going through centre of spain that can be a total nightmare as well

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
B8E68C4E-FF58-4A6B-8EAB-A70AC7E8CAD7.jpeg
1328F62C-115D-4210-8299-937E910E40E4.jpeg
8E4932E3-2C2F-499A-99FF-EC47235DFA60.jpeg
0EFE0954-50BC-41A1-B75B-6712D05B00CC.jpeg
A5EDAC96-8C37-487F-8A18-1D39C2D5B5CD.jpeg
These are the things enjoy from the uk don’t need a medal

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I do more than 100 miles a week...........but don't call it touring
In 39 years of driving I've covered more than 1.5 million miles, I simply don't feel the need to spend my holiday time adding large amounts to that. I'm happy to tour in the uk, whether that be doing 100 miles in a month or 100 miles in a day matters not, it's still touring.

D.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Surely the point is you are in your beloved cosy motorhome and not at work? I love going to France and shlepping about the UK- find French roads on the whole better than uk- easier signage and less pot holes - but go slower miss the bumps wherever. Not keen on campsites due to regimented rows but have wild camped in many places ( ok some call it parking) and frequented small sites here and in France. But always happy in the motorhome !

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Dont

Dont
think anyone said can't,,i didn't anyway,,Just said touring was so much easier in Europe,,well the parts of Europe i have toured 6 months a year over the last 18 years,,Can hardly remember ever getting held up until we arrive back in UK,,BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back