Pigeons (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
Our M/H is parked under a TV aireal . Is there anyway of stopping them s......g on the van roof. A cover is not an option as it gets quite windy during the winter and the last cover got ripped to pieces. Cant shoot them too many neighbors

Mike

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Not easy, you can get spikes to stop them sitting on ledges etc, might work on aerial. Then you got problem of fixing them.
Get cable TV ?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You can get a mastic type stuff that doesn’t set I haven’t got any details but sur it’s available.
Bird repellent gel and bird repellent liquid are both available in the UK and one leading supplier of pest control products offers the products at the following prices:

Bird repellent gel (290ml tube): £7.99
Bird repellent gel (12 tubes) : £79.90
Bird repellent liquid (3.78 litres): £34.99

WARNING ! You do need to read up on this as there are implications about treating it so that a bird does not become stuck to it. As if say a trade bird got stuck and died you could be liable to prosecution.
https://www.pigeoncontrolresourcecentre.org/html/reviews/repellent-gel-prevent-birds-landing.html

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can get plastic hawks but I wonder how long they would work for? The birds will probably get used to them and work out a plastic hawk isn't very dangerous. Ebay has some for about a tenner and might be worth a try.

Otherwise park somewhere else assuming the tv aerial can't be moved. :)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
You can get plastic hawks but I wonder how long they would work for? The birds will probably get used to them and work out a plastic hawk isn't very dangerous. Ebay has some for about a tenner and might be worth a try.

I got a large plastic owl with nodding head and the sodding pigeons built a nest next to it.:(:(

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Put some corn down soaked in antifreeze..... job done

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I purchased some of these stuck them to my Ariel with clear silicone
ae235

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Plastic bird spikes glued to the aerial with Sikaflex, if you can’t do it yourself ask an aerial installer

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
anything that can be glued can be cable tied for ease, well that's what I did anyway

then ended up relocating the aerials o_O

On one that we couldn't move the aerial fitters used one of these so the whole aerial ended up over the roof (y)

Might just move it enough to help you, or if you have my luck it will just extend it further out over the MH :)

Eenansue

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Brizzle at the moment
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Limited experience
Air rifle is quite quiet so would not alert neighbors.
A word of caution on that, yes, feral pigeons can be 'taken' under the terms of the general license,
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...to-take-or-kill-for-health-or-safety-purposes
however the RSPB might seek to take action if it could not be proven that 'reasonable steps' had been taken to prevent the hazard to healh/damage to property using non-lethal means. It basically depends on if your neighbours are likely to grass you up or not.

There is also the small matter of the law regarding the boundaries of your property and the travel of the pellet. If the pellet crosses the boundary you have committed a Firearms offence which comes with a minimum 5 year sentence. I would suggest that, as you would be shooting upwards at the target, you would need to be on a rather large property to be able to be sure that the pellet didn't stray off your land.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You can also get hawk kites

I have no idea how effective they are.

Locally the farmers set off what I call "bang whizzes" to scare the pigeons. Like bangers going off when birds are detected.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
You can also get hawk kites

I have no idea how effective they are.

Locally the farmers set off what I call "bang whizzes" to scare the pigeons. Like bangers going off when birds are detected.
A local car dealer uses a couple of the hawk kite things to keep them clear of his stock.....seems to work.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Don't get me started in those :swear2: things.

Or me ........ but they do appear to be effective. After I saw the damage the pigeons and gulls did I was a little more understanding, live in the country and all that :)

Pigeon pie is very nice.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
A word of caution on that, yes, feral pigeons can be 'taken' under the terms of the general license,
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...to-take-or-kill-for-health-or-safety-purposes
however the RSPB might seek to take action if it could not be proven that 'reasonable steps' had been taken to prevent the hazard to healh/damage to property using non-lethal means. It basically depends on if your neighbours are likely to grass you up or not.

There is also the small matter of the law regarding the boundaries of your property and the travel of the pellet. If the pellet crosses the boundary you have committed a Firearms offence which comes with a minimum 5 year sentence. I would suggest that, as you would be shooting upwards at the target, you would need to be on a rather large property to be able to be sure that the pellet didn't stray off your land.
Gone are the days when we used to have air rifles in the garden shooting at targets different rules etc now.

Eenansue

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Brizzle at the moment
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Limited experience
Gone are the days when we used to have air rifles in the garden shooting at targets different rules etc now.
Unfortunately, yes. All thanks to the little 541ts who thought it was fun to set light to wheelie bins and then shoot at the firemen when they came to put the fire out. That bought on the VCR act and then the Firearms laws were beefed up a bit.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Unfortunately, yes. All thanks to the little 541ts who thought it was fun to set light to wheelie bins and then shoot at the firemen when they came to put the fire out. That bought on the VCR act and then the Firearms laws were beefed up a bit.
The law always insisted that shot, be it from air rifles or shotguns, remained within the land over which one had permission to shoot. Safe shooting practice has always insisted on a backstop. Nothing has changed in those areas.

OP
OP
S
Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
problem solved. Aerial moved to indoor loft . Pigeons have moved to premises across the road. Cost a bit but worth it .

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
S
Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
On observing the pigeons today they seem to have had a look around our roof and gone of to find another aerial to rest on and s..t from .:hi:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09

Grome tt.. have you tried this ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There is also the small matter of the law regarding the boundaries of your property and the travel of the pellet. If the pellet crosses the boundary you have committed a Firearms offence
Depends if you're a crap shot.
If you can't hit a stoggie at 30ft you really shouldn't be playing with guns. :D

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
I got rid of mine from nesting in my window boxes by fixing kiddies hand held windmills up every metre or so. Never been back!

Reactions: DBK

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
For those of you considering buying hawk or owl decoys; just be aware that you might initially have a problem with corvids mobbing the decoy. After a day or so, they will have sussed it and nothing will take any notice of it - including pigeons.

The best method is what the OP ended up doing and the second best method is to make the preferred perches unsuitable for pigeons as previously suggested.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back