Demountables? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I am thinking of selling the motorhome and trying a Demountable.

Its a Motorhome and a Caravan?
Does anyone have one?
Has owned one?

My Drive is full of cars, vans, minibus and motorhome.

Need to try and consolidate.

Mrs. TM would like a bigger Automatic to replace her little Audi A2. I am thinking Mitsubishi L200/Fiat FullBack or Ford Ranger.

So, my thoughts were. As it is mostly just the two of us, the Demountable may be a good option. In any event of needing anything bigger, hire?.

Thoughts welcome please?

Trevor.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Planning on this being my next project as I already have a old Ford ranger to mess with(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have a set of four electric jack legs that come from our demountable that we scrapped this year, so if you know anyone building one or wanting to upgrade the legs to electric, they have swing away brackets to allow use on a truck with dual rear wheels, which can be removed.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
had a couple of suntrekkers years ago. worked fine .
the second one i bought and never got to use it .
i had hoped to use it on my old vw lt instead of pulling my trailer if going local etc . but it got spotted by a chap with a toyota pickup and i made a shilling .
the first one i used on my vw t25 pickup.
that got quite alot of use.
you do see them come up occasionally .
often think i should never have got rid of them.
bit like my teardrop caravan . only had it almost 30 yrs now . havnt used it for about 8 years . but it might come in handy one day.

Attachments

• img009.jpg
    img009.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 58
  • img019.jpg
    img019.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 58
  • img027.jpg
    img027.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Think carefully about changing to a demountable ... they are great to enable you to have a multi-use set-up but they aren't anything like as spacious as a MH with no access from the front to rear, are often limited equipment (fridge etc) wise and can be more susceptible to winds due to the cab's narrower axle width and a top-heavy load, they do however usually have a mahooooosive bed over the cab! :D

Have a visit to a MH shower as you usually see a few at them so can check how you'd actually use one in reality. As for hiring a MH when wanted ... expensive!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looked at a some nice ones at Caravan Salon a couple of years ago but very expensive. Can't remember the make, they were German, made for serious off road trekking.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
25E70A46-2FF0-4432-8BA6-C96823BBB6B6.jpeg 2DD293BC-04D3-4BA3-8DE7-22EA25005C29.jpeg Demountable spotted in St David’s last year.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Think carefully about changing to a demountable ... they are great to enable you to have a multi-use set-up but they aren't anything like as spacious as a MH with no access from the front to rear, are often limited equipment (fridge etc) wise and can be more susceptible to winds due to the cab's narrower axle width and a top-heavy load, they do however usually have a mahooooosive bed over the cab! :D

Have a visit to a MH shower as you usually see a few at them so can check how you'd actually use one in reality. As for hiring a MH when wanted ... expensive!

Beats a Tent!

Deleted User
This firm at Littleborough near Rochdale sell new and used demountables.

http://www.apollomotorhomes.com/

We had a look at a few when we had the Mazda Pickup and fiver but decided that they were a little expensive for the limited use that we would have made of one.

Had good use out of the Mazda, which is basically a Ford Ranger, my son still has it with well over 100000 miles on the clock now.

The 4WD system on this model is basic, not sophisticated as the Mitsubishi was at the time, 2008, I like the look of the new Ford Ranger but don't know if they have uprated the drive system.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
What would put me off would be if they didn't have a decent sized fresh and waste water tank and shower no aires otherwise:(

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
What would put me off would be if they didn't have a decent sized fresh and waste water tank and shower no aires otherwise:(
but they are a compromise .like every thing in life .
some have showers or shower bowl and plastic tent to shower in . reimo sold portable shower sort of tents , the bowl and tent were as one . use a hozeloch portable shower sprayer with them .
some if used on a flat bed pickup rather than normal pickup bed have loads of storage as the edges can be paneled out and squared off .
when i used the suntrekker with my vw pickup the pickup had a lovely under the pickup bed storage locker.
but compromise is whats needed .
mind i also used a proper pickup canopy on mine in the summer so it worked like a mobile tent often thought about making some insulation for inside the canopy so it could be used in cooler times ..seem to have spent half my life playing at different ways to go traveling . lots of fun.

Attachments

• img149.jpg
    img149.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 18

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We had a nice chap stop at our place last week, he'd just bought a brand new collapsible, demountable from a nearby dealer and stopped at Jasmin Camping for his familiarisation before heading home which was much further away. It was early days and his excitement levels were high, but he was loving it. I took a pic..
Demountable.jpg

A bit small for me, I'd prefer the one that @Sundowners had. The dual wheel truck was a bit wide but it was a sweet setup, I loved it, they did too as they had it for years.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Planning on this being my next project as I already have a old Ford ranger to mess with(y)

Oh thats sounds good! Let me know how you go on?

This firm at Littleborough near Rochdale sell new and used demountables.

http://www.apollomotorhomes.com/

We had a look at a few when we had the Mazda Pickup and fiver but decided that they were a little expensive for the limited use that we would have made of one.

Had good use out of the Mazda, which is basically a Ford Ranger, my son still has it with well over 100000 miles on the clock now.

The 4WD system on this model is basic, not sophisticated as the Mitsubishi was at the time, 2008, I like the look of the new Ford Ranger but don't know if they have uprated the drive system.

Not far from me, thanks.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
They can have pretty much everything , even gennie !
The canadian , and US built ones are the best , even winterised.
heres one

These make a good base vehicle :)
100_4289.JPG

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
We had one for a few years, it was good but the disadvantages outweighed the advantages. Payload was always a problem even though we had a lightweight one built. There is no access through to or from the cab which also means that the unit does not get heated during travel but the biggest problem is if the truck is used for business it just takes too long to empty out, take the canopy off, mount the unit and load up for a last minute quick night or two away so just didn't bother using it enough.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
The only experience I have of demountables is helping a chap set one up and then pack up in Spain. It took about four of us to line it up to remount it due to the ground being uneven. The legs were very spindly and were bending. The space inside was very cosy. I think i would rather have a tent.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
They can have pretty much everything , even gennie !
The canadian , and US built ones are the best , even winterised.
heres one

These make a good base vehicle :)
View attachment 242610

Yes, but have you seen the price of landies now?

Looked into this a while back.

My favourite is the Gazell from France....

813.jpg

806.jpg

http://www.gazell.fr/

http://sbsadventurecampers.com/wp/gazell-4x4-demountable-camper/

Pete

Great Idea, no good for Winter Ski Trips.

We had one for a few years, it was good but the disadvantages outweighed the advantages. Payload was always a problem even though we had a lightweight one built. There is no access through to or from the cab which also means that the unit does not get heated during travel but the biggest problem is if the truck is used for business it just takes too long to empty out, take the canopy off, mount the unit and load up for a last minute quick night or two away so just didn't bother using it enough.

Would not be using the Pickup for work, just Mrs. TM's commute and shopping, grandchildrens school run. Looking at them, I think the tailgate has to be removed?.

The only experience I have of demountables is helping a chap set one up and then pack up in Spain. It took about four of us to line it up to remount it due to the ground being uneven. The legs were very spindly and were bending. The space inside was very cosy. I think i would rather have a tent.

Yes, they do look a bit fragile when not supported.

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
If you want to learn about demountables, I suggest you join the Demountable Camper Group - both webpage and Facebook Group. They are a friendly, if wacky, group (sound familiar?) and will answer any questions you have. The forum lists lots of used rigs for sale from all over Europe.

http://demountablecampergroup.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back