May 27, 2010
Reading, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi all,
first post so please be gentle!

I have an intermittent fault on my Burstner Elegance. I can get no water through any of the taps when turned on, although it may spring to life if we forget and leave on of the taps open.

I have checked everything I can think of. 12v on, water pump on, pump fuse checked, fresh water tank full, all drains closed. Microswitch on taps sounds to be working, but no pump noise at all.

The manual suggests vigorously shaking the pump in case it is an air block. No effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi and welcome....

have you checked voltage at the pump terminals using a proper volt/multi meter ?
if you have 12v at the pump it sounds like a new pump is needed.

reading your post you appear to have tried ALL the taps so it shouldnt be a microswitch problem.

edit....Mmmm, just reread and it appears to be an intermitant pump failure.....shortly to fail altogether.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Sounds like its going to be one of those intermittent connection problems that are a pain to track down.

When its turned on but not working go around checking connections, tapping the pump (dirty contacts) or anything you can think of, its not going to jump out at you. Good luck.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N

nsxfan

Free Member
May 27, 2010
Reading, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for the replies.. I tried all the relevant electrical connections I could find, and whilst looking at how to disassemble the pump to check the 12v (ie manhandling it) it has started working again.

Would that suggest to you poor/loose electrical connections in the pump, or something more sinister? Is it worth stripping it down, or hoping for the best?

Thanks,
Roger

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Thanks for the replies.. I tried all the relevant electrical connections I could find, and whilst looking at how to disassemble the pump to check the 12v (ie manhandling it) it has started working again.

Would that suggest to you poor/loose electrical connections in the pump, or something more sinister? Is it worth stripping it down, or hoping for the best?

Thanks,
Roger

Possible, that's the problem with intermittent problems, but Its worth digging deeper, What kind of pump is it, if its a diaphragm type pump then its possible the contacts are in need of attention, if its a rotary type pump look for loose/corroded connections.

Sorry I can't be more specific but that's the nature of the fault.

Doug...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Thanks,
Roger

now, that sounds like a broken wire in the pump feed flex.
turn the pump on and gently bend, twist and pull the flex along its length and see if it starts and stops at some point.
if it does then a new pump will be needed as the flex will be bonded into the pump body to waterproof it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as it got a good earth connection . i sometimes have been known to accidently knock the earth on my pump and after alot of swearing and playing around it works again .
been ok for the past winter but sometimes plays up after a laying up spell. cheers alan.

OP
OP
N

nsxfan

Free Member
May 27, 2010
Reading, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
now, that sounds like a broken wire in the pump feed flex.
turn the pump on and gently bend, twist and pull the flex along its length and see if it starts and stops at some point.
if it does then a new pump will be needed as the flex will be bonded into the pump body to waterproof it.

My thoughts too, so I thought I'd have a closer look at the electrics.. the flex is indeed bonded into the pump, and only a short length is on view.. the remainder disappears into the chassis and I cannot for the life of me find the 'other end'.

However, I figured at some point the pump switch on the control panel would play a part. I have inspected this, and it has no voltage at all, whether on or off, also 12v on or off. I'm no sparky, but I would expect something there.

If I connect a 12v battery direct to the switch, or rather the wires to it, could I expect the pump to operate, or am I likely to fry something?

Thanks for all your replies, it's a real comfort to know I'm not alone!

Roger

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My thoughts too, so I thought I'd have a closer look at the electrics.. the flex is indeed bonded into the pump, and only a short length is on view.. the remainder disappears into the chassis and I cannot for the life of me find the 'other end'.

However, I figured at some point the pump switch on the control panel would play a part. I have inspected this, and it has no voltage at all, whether on or off, also 12v on or off. I'm no sparky, but I would expect something there.

If I connect a 12v battery direct to the switch, or rather the wires to it, could I expect the pump to operate, or am I likely to fry something?

Thanks for all your replies, it's a real comfort to know I'm not alone!

Roger

it would point to the switch.

i assume you mean there is 12v to one side of the switch whether on or off but nothing at the other no matter what position the switch is in ?

on the 'dead' side of the switch, remove the two wires and connect to a battery as you suggested.
that way there will be no back current through the switch...just a feed to the pump.
if the pump works simply renew the switch and roberts your mums brother. :thumb::thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Can I have the old one, I'm sure I can get it working again and I can us it to auto water the green house.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back