Free Member
May 3, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
1st year
I am thinking of installing a satellite system to our motorhome since we will now be living in it full time.

I am mainly interested in getting the Freesat channels whilst in the UK (BBC ITV etc etc) and am not interested in any Sky subscriptions, but, when we go abroad again (Southern Portugal would be the furthest we would go) in November I would like to continue to get the English stuff.

Question is, is this possible? and, if not from Freesat are the BBC's ect available on another satellite that has a footprint large enough to be received in Portugal?

What kind of system would be recommended?

Thanks in advance.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
if not from Freesat are the BBC's ect available on another satellite that has a footprint large enough to be received in Portugal?
No.

UK TV are only availabile on the 4 UK TV satellite they are currently on. - Astra 2a,2b,2d, EB1.

No matter where you go you wil always get SOME channel - but as the main free to air channels - bbc itv etc are on astra 2d, then this satellite has the narrow beam andin many areas of Spain and portugal a "big dish" is required - from 1.2m upwards. - to receive them.

YOu can get, with a sky box and a freesatfromsky car (no subscription - one off payemnt of £20) get ITV1, possibly C4 and Five - as there are some encrypted version of these channels that with a skyy card are on a "south beam" and easy to get on a smll (60-80cm) dish in most of Spain and Portugal.

OP
OP
stevegreen

stevegreen

Free Member
May 3, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
1st year
Most helpful, thanks. I am now wondering if the investment is actually worth it then. One to ponder for a while longer methinks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

iveco

Free Member
Apr 3, 2010
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
self build van
Exp
Most helpful, thanks. I am now wondering if the investment is actually worth it then. One to ponder for a while longer methinks.
The investment can be minimal with most people upgrading to sky HD and others to sky plus standard sky digiboxes are dirt cheap on E bay etc and will pick up most freesat channels without paying a subscription. Also cheap dishes are plentiful and can easily set up. As for watching sattelite in Spain and Portugal see the excellent www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

quicksilver

Free Member
May 9, 2010
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Satellite Dish

No.

UK TV are only availabile on the 4 UK TV satellite they are currently on. - Astra 2a,2b,2d, EB1.

No matter where you go you wil always get SOME channel - but as the main free to air channels - bbc itv etc are on astra 2d, then this satellite has the narrow beam andin many areas of Spain and portugal a "big dish" is required - from 1.2m upwards. - to receive them.

YOu can get, with a sky box and a freesatfromsky car (no subscription - one off payemnt of £20) get ITV1, possibly C4 and Five - as there are some encrypted version of these channels that with a skyy card are on a "south beam" and easy to get on a smll (60-80cm) dish in most of Spain and Portugal.

Thinking of installing a crank up system with freesat which one should I go for. We do go to Europe as far as Portugal.

Regards,
QS

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Hi Steve

I would say yes, it is worth it , on Astra South there are quite a few English channels and you can also receive Eurobird .. you can also listen to all the BBC radio stations.

Full list here with footprints

Link Removed

A 60 cm dish will pick these up quite easily .. no need to invest in an expensive system, a dish on a tripod and free to view digi box is less than £100, or for about £400 , a manual crank up system ..

When we were in Spain I bought a cheapo domestic dish and box from a supermarket , about 90 euro, I mounted the dish on a pole next to the pitch then later on used the rear ladder ..

It's great fun and also a challenge finding other satellites, in Morocco I found Nile Sat, which had English film channels .. and English news..

You also get a great tan while trying to align the dish :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Does any one have the equivalent frequencies to receive BBC TV on satellite.. I understand a lot of frequencies are being released so that UK channels are available further south than Spain

I have just got a frequency for ITV (CentralTV) and have inputted this so I now have ITV here in Tenerife..just enquiring if anyone knows of one for the BEEB!!

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Does any one have the equivalent frequencies to receive BBC TV on satellite..
http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html
http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/bbc_satellite_tv_costa_blanca_spain.php

have lists of the frequencies used by the BBC....

all of which are already available on the Freesat and Sky EPGs....

very very big dish required....3.1mts i think for the main BBCs

BBC News, PArliament, Albi (or aldi), and mosy BBC radios are on a different satellite whose footprint is more generous, which is why you can get these channels on smaller dishes.

I understand a lot of frequencies are being released so that UK channels are available further south than Spain

Where did you hear that???????
They would have to move all thier frequencies off the astra 2d satellite to another...which could be fun given that there is few little space available on the current satellites.
Also why should they make they channels available further south?? For one thing they would have to pay more to have more "european" broadcast rights.....rather than just "uk rights". The UK broadcasters and can do anything to try and restrict its channel being veiwed outside their own broadcast "territory" - be it viewingc ard issued or "narrow / spot" beams on satellites.

I have just got a frequency for ITV (CentralTV) and have inputted this so I now have ITV here in Tenerife..just enquiring if anyone knows of one for the BEEB!!

Simple answer is "No"

All the BBC Channels are already on a sky box and freesat boxes - all regions are abvailable in the high 900s

the only reason why you can access ITV1 on 11973 (and ITVHD on there also) is that there is not enough space (so they say! with a bit of shuffling around space could be made for most of these FTV channels to move on there!)) on Astra 2d where all the free to air (no sky card) versions of ITV1 sit, so these two ITV central on 11973 and 6 other ITV1 regions on 12402 are on different satellite - and are not free to air - they are free to view and unlike their versions on astra 2d, these need a sky card to view.

Slightly different with C4...the free to air version of C4 are on 10714h.
But there are irish version of C4 on 12480 - a stronger signal that thier astra 2d counterparts - and encrypted - mainly due to rights issues (so they say) with the irish broadcasters who have rights to show many c4 UK programmes.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back