LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, anyone know of any CL/CS's in D & G? Don't need electric or toilets and showers actually prefer just a basic pitch with toilet dump and fresh water. :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Ken,
i know of 31 CL's in the dumfries and galloway region.
thats a long list to type here mate :Doh::roflmto:

any particular area to narrow it down a bit.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Papa, not really. When we had the dog pre m/home days, we used a farm cottage at Newton Stewart for about 10 years two or three times a year and loved the whole area. From Gretna all the way almost to Ayr. Now looking to going back with the m/home for two/three weeks, main interests will be walking and cycling. We know of one or three big sites but prefer the small CL's as I say leccie not an issue at August/September. As near as possible to the forests or Gatehouse area would be great. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
two CL's near gatehouse of Fleet.

Newton farm, 3.5mls SW of gatehouse of fleet, DG7 2ER. contact Mrs Hamilton 01557 840234
3 acres, part sloping, water at farm (800yds), opposite sandy beach. £5pn

Drummockloch, 2mls WSW of Gatehouse of Fleet, DG7 2EP. contact Mr & Mrs Hannay 01557 840288. (mark@freeserve.co.uk)
1/4 acre, hardstandings, fishing 1 ml, beach 1/2ml. £8pn
(this ones part of a hol park and includes park facilities).

these are both CC cl's but im sure there will be more and possibly C&CC CS's

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
there are loads of cycle trails in the galloway forest area north of newton stewart.

i forgot to mention one site.....not a cl but usually quite.

Glentrool holiday park. around 10 statics with a seperate tourer site. small shop in reception...bread, milk, papers etc
around £10pn i think.

leave newton stewart on the Girvan road (A714). at Bargrennan turn right towards glentrool village. pass the 'House 'o' hill' pub and the site is a further 1/2ml on the left.
right in the glentrool forest park and many cycle/walking trails.
usual deer, eagles, buzzards ect.
the pub will now have new owners and food etc may well be served again.
cosy inglenook fireplace with a log burner...maybe not in summer though :Doh:...

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Papa, know Glen Trool very well have walked round the loch many times. Piccie of me n our dog Bruce at Bruce's Stone on the loch shore... we thought that camp site had closed tho a few years now since we were last there.::bigsmile:

Attachments

• Bruce's-Stone.jpg
    Bruce's-Stone.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 19

janveg

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
Look at Drumroamin Caravan and Camping Site, South Balfern, Kirkinner, D & G DG8 9DB. Near Wigtown, on the flats. 5* Toilet facilities, very welcoming.

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
Glentrool

Thanks Papa, know Glen Trool very well have walked round the loch many times. Piccie of me n our dog Bruce at Bruce's Stone on the loch shore... we thought that camp site had closed tho a few years now since we were last there.::bigsmile:

You're probably thinking of the Forestry Commission's Caldons Camp Site half way up the glen which was closed some years ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
You're probably thinking of the Forestry Commission's Caldons Camp Site half way up the glen which was closed some years ago.

Yep we knew that was closed, used to call for an ice cream and a few thousand midges :Eeek: on the way to the loch footpath before they closed it. :cry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Council run Link Removed isn't exactly what you asked for (it has electricity, showers etc) but is sited on a hill more or less in the middle of Kirkcudbright so very convenient for walks etc. We used to tent camp there in the 1980s and took our van there for our first trip in it 4 years ago.

Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

No...still there Ken.

£12.50pn for van + 2 people.
leccy is £2.50pn if required.

Link Removed

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Garliston has a cc site and a cc&c cs next to each other i have stayed at the cc site and loved it nice wee village with local pub that done great food.

There is also a cc one at Mollance farm just on the A75 1 mile west of Castle Douglas nice we site has shower and small loch

As GJH mentioned the council also have a small site right on the loch in Castle Douglas town centre not sure of price but i know it is cheap this site would be ideal for walking in to Castle Douglas scotlands food town.

I live in Dumfries and if you want a cheap site then my gardens big enough just a bit of a tight entrance but i get in ok and bin lorry does also so depend on your size your welcome to a free night or 2 at mine less than 1/2 mile from town centre but very quiet and private.

Gerry

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Garliston has a cc site and a cc&c cs next to each other i have stayed at the cc site and loved it nice wee village with local pub that done great food.

There is also a cc one at Mollance farm just on the A75 1 mile west of Castle Douglas nice we site has shower and small loch

As GJH mentioned the council also have a small site right on the loch in Castle Douglas town centre not sure of price but i know it is cheap this site would be ideal for walking in to Castle Douglas scotlands food town.

I live in Dumfries and if you want a cheap site then my gardens big enough just a bit of a tight entrance but i get in ok and bin lorry does also so depend on your size your welcome to a free night or 2 at mine less than 1/2 mile from town centre but very quiet and private.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry, there are some real good people on here. My van I think is a bit big for that though your offer is much appreciated. I will have a look at the sites you mention. We tend to park the van up for a week or so, walk/cycle the surrounding area then move on. :thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
No Problem Ken hope you have a nice time if you check out the d&g tourist board they have loads of walking on it

Gerry

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
... Castle Douglas, Scotland's food town. ...

and a Tesco if you're into DIY ::bigsmile:

Tried the 'Indian' in C D a few years back......... luke warm, flavourless food, never again!!
In my experience it's the worst one in Scotland ....if you don't count the one in Portree:Doh:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back