Remember the lorry pushing the car video? (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Its just said that the lorry driver has been to court and let off .
He wont be banned or fined, as he didn't know the vehicle was there:Doh:
I thought he'd at least get done for careless driving.
Bev

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
As well as kerb mirrors.I've seen trucks with mirrrors on the front just over the windscreen,if he had one of these he would have seen it. What beats me is how he didn't hear the sound of any impact,must have been asleep or listening to country and Western,that sounds like a car crash to me!!!:ROFLMAO:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Its just said that the lorry driver has been to court and let off .
He wont be banned or fined, as he didn't know the vehicle was there:Doh:
I thought he'd at least get done for careless driving.
Bev

Why? Because he didn't realise that a stupid bint performed a suicidal UNDERTAKING manouvre on him and then cut out to the middle lane so quickly that SHE hit HIM !:Angry
Fact, it's all in the report.

The quicker the tin tops learn that you DONT stop an artic, or a motorhome or a caravan on a tanner, the safer we'll be.
The silly woman deserved all she got :Angry:and I feel bloody sorry for the truck driver who dammed near lost his living, if not his life because of the stupid, impatient actions of a car driver!:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Well the deaf and blind lorry driver must have been hogging the middle lane for miles , probably drinking coffee and eating a yorkie whilst on the phone. Totally unaware of all the other drivers trying to tell him what was happening.
If that is the case.
Bev

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Well the deaf and blind lorry driver must have been hogging the middle lane for miles , probably drinking coffee and eating a yorkie whilst on the phone. Totally unaware of all the other drivers trying to tell him what was happening.
If that is the case.
Bev

Wrong again I'm afraid.
As I understand it, he was about to complete his own overtaking manouvre of a slower truck on the inside lane.
Towards the end of that manouvre, he found himself still in the middle lane as he passed the "ON" slip road.
As she came onto the motorway off this slip road, the daft bint floored it to clear the truck on the inside (fair enough) but then pushed her luck too far by flooring it some more and cutting straight out to the middle lane.........only her sense of timing was pathetically inadequate and she forced HER offside quarter onto the bumper of the truck which quite undertandably slowly spun her!
She was ALREADY in the blind spot of the truck mirrors when SHE hit HIM.
The WORST you could possibly accuse the trucker of is having the stereo so loud that he didn't hear anything cos NO WAY is someone in a 38 tonner gonna FEEL the low speed impact that happened with a small car like a Renault Clio !

..............and no, I'm not a truck driver, but I do have a hell of a lot of respect for them and what they have to put up with. My personal opinion (for what that's worth) is that percentage wise, they are MUCH better and more considerate drivers than anyone else on the road!

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
:ROFLMAO:
Keep your Knickers on.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
HERE is the report on the BBC.

Knowing the junction, the result doesn't surprise me at all. In fact, the only thing which does surprise me, given the way that some drivers join the A1 from the A64, is that there aren't many more crashes there.

Graham

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I agree with zaskar on that one. Whilst driving lorries, and wag n drags i have experienced cars cutting me up right at the last moment - especially on exit lanes. It is a nightmare stopping - but the car driver thinks nothing of it - they assume you can brake hard and stop to compensate for their own ignorant and appalling driving.

Yes he should of noticed, but we were no there. Some cabs you cannot actually see the car in front, you only see the one in front of them. Maybe in a weird way it worked out for the best.....after all, if he hit the brakes and jack-knifed, he could have killed every innocent motorist in his vacinity .......just so a car didn't have to wait until a lane was clear to over-take in a proper manner??? Why is anyone that important, that they feel the right to put others lives at risk, so to 'get ahead'?

I would think in honesty - the car driver should be prosecuted for causing an accident by undertaking the vehicle.

Just imagine you are happily off in your motorhome up the motorway at 50mph. A car joins, doesn't notice you, and carrers into the side of you causing you to spin off - should YOU be done for dangerous driving?

You may not of dragged the vehicle, but the ethics are the same - someone else caused an accident. Just because you didn't see the car about to impact your side, and take avoiding action, doesn't make you dangerous - the car driver made that choice - you are just in the wrong place. Lorrys are much stronger built, and you may not notice.

The impact would not have been a dead impact like an crash. It would have gently touched and been pushed round - so impact may not have been felt. Reason i say that is, had it been a hard impact, the car would have spun off. If you watch the police perform the PITT manouvre, it is gentle and slow and a light motion, not an impact. couple that with the fact he was more than likely on cruise control, and the engine would have compensated for the weight - he would not have felt any extra power needed through the pedal.

Everyone must take responsibilty for their own actions, and the safety of others the best they can - want to take a risky move, be prepared to take the consequences if you don't pull it off.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I saw the report on ITV lunchtime news .
It didn't go into detail, just said he'd been let off.
Though i dont see how reversing his lorry , on the hard shoulder, to release the car was a "credit to him" as the judge said.
What was he supposed to do, drive over it completely.
Or did the judge mean he should have just left it?
Bev

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Wrong again I'm afraid.
As I understand it, he was about to complete his own overtaking manouvre of a slower truck on the inside lane.
Towards the end of that manouvre, he found himself still in the middle lane as he passed the "ON" slip road.
As she came onto the motorway off this slip road, the daft bint floored it to clear the truck on the inside (fair enough) but then pushed her luck too far by flooring it some more and cutting straight out to the middle lane.........only her sense of timing was pathetically inadequate and she forced HER offside quarter onto the bumper of the truck which quite undertandably slowly spun her!
She was ALREADY in the blind spot of the truck mirrors when SHE hit HIM.
The WORST you could possibly accuse the trucker of is having the stereo so loud that he didn't hear anything cos NO WAY is someone in a 38 tonner gonna FEEL the low speed impact that happened with a small car like a Renault Clio !

..............and no, I'm not a truck driver, but I do have a hell of a lot of respect for them and what they have to put up with. My personal opinion (for what that's worth) is that percentage wise, they are MUCH better and more considerate drivers than anyone else on the road!
I'm a former truck driver and I would add my twopennorth to it ..that junction is as said a notorious one there are if memory serves a total of 6 lanes of traffic there..as the driver said he'd already passed a slower moving HGV and Dolly Daydream attempted the impossible and came second..I agree with what you say!!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
if memory serves a total of 6 lanes of traffic there

Yes, at one point.

There are three lanes on the A1 from the north. The slip road from the A64 has 2 lanes, the outer of which merges with lane 1 of the A1 After A Give Way Line requiring A64 traffic to give way to A1 traffic.

The four lanes then continue south until about the point opposite the northbound A1/M1 junction where lane 1 becomes two lanes (total 5).

Just before the road crosses the B1217, lane 1 becomes two lanes giving three lanes for the A1 and three lanes for the M1 (total 6).

Graham

Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
Unsure the lorry driver was 'let off'. To be 'let off' suggests he did something wrong. However, the reports I've seen suggest he was just going about his daily job in a reasonable manner. The driver was praised by the Traffic Commissioner, Beverley Bell, who is not renown for being soft on those in the haulage industry. She keeps enough of the lunatic fringe off the road to make the roads a safer place.

She said, "You showed, in my view, coolness and a clear head.I feel it is entirely inappropriate for me to take away your licence.You, your employers and the haulage industry should be able to hold your heads up high after this incident."

The Crown Prosecution Services also decided not to take action.

Having travelled in lorries, I can understand why he didn't see the car and why, with the radio on and engine running sweet, he did not hear it. Smelling vehicles who take a free ride on the bumper is not part of the professional training that lorry drivers have to go through.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I 'got' a car in France in a similar fashion, no contact ,no noise, just a pressure build up in my ears.

The 'bow wave' of air at the front of my truck was enough for her wee car to surf on and she careered into the Armco on my right hand side.

I pulled over, took pics to show that there was no contact between the car and the truck, exchanged details waited 30 mins or so for le Polis then bizzed off for my boat. Heard no more about it.

Coincidence or what that the car dirver was female?:RollEyes: Another topic for braver souls than me.:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back