Breakdown cover over 90 days, vehicle 7.5 tonnes - recommendations please (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We have one year to go on our manufacturer's breakdown warranty but we don't think it covers recovery in the case of an accident and so are looking for other cover.

I got a quote from RAC yesterday but their policy restricts to 90 days per trip. We need roadside assist and (if necessary) recovery in the event of accident or breakdown for longer than 90 days on 7.5 tonne vehicle. I've tried ADAC but don't appear to be able to get a quote from them... I think I read somewhere that they no longer take new customers from the UK but un sure if this is true?

Can anyone offer advice on where I could try please?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I appreciate you had a quote from the RAC , but RAC Arrival, exclusive to Caravan and Camping Club memebers offer up to 350 Days European travel.. unlimited weight , height or length

I used them when I had a 36ft 10t RV

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/insurance/breakdown-and-recovery/arrival-for-motorhomes/

https://www.rac.co.uk/breakdown-cover/caravanandmotorhome/arrivalcompare

To answer your other question.. as far as I know ADAC are not accepting any new business unless you have a German address

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks Jim... Very useful.

Did you call the club to arrange your cover or RAC and tell them you're a member?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Nationwide flex plus account covers up to 7.5 ton you need to check on length of trip. Cost £13 a month but you get ½ of that back in interest if you keep 2.5k in the account.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Jim... Very useful.

Did you call the club to arrange your cover or RAC and tell them you're a member?

Honestly can't remember.. but I think I joined the club then applied for the breakdown cover through the Club

GraSue

Free Member
Apr 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2000
I was just about to reply that RAC Arrivals was a maximum of 90 days per European trip, but checked scotjimlands link, and sure enough Arrivals is now up to 350 days per trip. Excellent news.

Your only real alternative is to insurance through Safeguard or Comfort, but they both insisted that we had to have a Cat 1 alarm and a Cat 5 tracker.

GraSue

Free Member
Apr 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2000
Unfortunately, the last time I looked there was a 8 metre length limit with Nationwide, otherwise I think lots more of us would go with them.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Your only real alternative is to insurance through Safeguard or Comfort, but they both insisted that we had to have a Cat 1 alarm and a Cat 5 tracker.
Comfort don't require both, either an alarm or tracker for value under £75k, just a tracker over £75k.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I use RAC Arrivals obtained thru the C&MC covers my 12mtr 12tonne + in Europe as @scotjimland

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I’ve just insured our new van with Safeguard and they did not require a tracker fitted we do have a strikeback.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I was just about to reply that RAC Arrivals was a maximum of 90 days per European trip, but checked scotjimlands link, and sure enough Arrivals is now up to 350 days per trip. Excellent news.

Yes, I was concerned about the 90 day restriction - certainly that's what RAC told me on the phone yesterday. I called again just now and asked specifically about the length of cover - straight away he said 90 days. I told him that the ccc website said 350 days... he knew nothing about it but checked and came back to confirm that it is indeed 350 days. Apparently there's differing limits depending on whether you take cover out over the phone or online through ccc.

So, thanks again Jim! :D

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I’m with RAC Arrival like others. Don’t need it for breakdown as still under warranty, but use it as insurance in the event I take ill and cannot drive the van home. My other half cannot drive the Motorhome.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Yes, I was concerned about the 90 day restriction - certainly that's what RAC told me on the phone yesterday. I called again just now and asked specifically about the length of cover - straight away he said 90 days. I told him that the ccc website said 350 days... he knew nothing about it but checked and came back to confirm that it is indeed 350 days. Apparently there's differing limits depending on whether you take cover out over the phone or online through ccc.

So, thanks again Jim! :D
Unless the RAC has changed they do not cover a vehicle of that size on there normal breakdown. The only way is through the C&CC and is called RAC Arrival.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, I found it really confusing.

I have to say that I found the three call handlers I spoke with at the RAC to be pretty dreadful - even taking down my phone number proved too much for one of them! Really dim on just a basic level, and none knew about the product they were selling. I just hope that the service provided by RAC is better.

I'm still waiting on a call so that I can see exactly what the extent of the breakdown cover under the manufacturer's warranty is. I know it is two years, so we have a year left, but am not sure whether this includes Europe as someone mentioned the European cover is only a year.... Oh decisions, decisions! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back