zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
On my Motorhome there is a almost faded Corbra sticker. Inside the van I have a flashing LED light and key which disengages the device and allows me to start the van.

Slightly puzzled as I have a Fiat factory fitted immobiliser. Yes it gives me an increased level of security, but I believe minimal. Whereas I have 3 keys for my MH, I only have 1 key for the 'cobra' immobiliser. So if I lose that I am stuff!

Apart from the sticker on the window I have no idea if it is a Cobra immobiliser.

Thinking of upgrading the security by removing\improving the above system.

Suppose there are three areas:

Vehicle: Is the double immobiliser adequate or should I get a traditional alarm. Any advice and/or recommendations.

Habitation: I have the standard lock on the door, which is one step up form a piece of string and a hook :Sad: What devices are they out there? Again recommendations / advice? Also windows, certainly large enough to gain entrance. Has anyone improve the security on there windows?

Stowage: Bikes. I guess bike locks etc but nothing a pair of bolt croppers wont sort out. Any alarm systems to scare off the bolt cropper criminals :thumb:

Failing any other tips for improving Motorhome security.

Dave

OP
OP
Z

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
This is the immobilier

look familiar...or could it be any old system?

Attachments

• cobra pic.jpg
    cobra pic.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 15

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You have to face it there is only so much yoiu can do, easy to stop the opportunist thief but if they really want it they WILL get it!:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Dave,

I have just been through some of this, so will tell you my experience. I have a fiat ducato which has an imobiliser as standard which gives it a CAT2 Thatcham rating. I have just had a cobra alarm (Cat 2-1) fitted (includes internal movement sensors and a storage locker sensor) and this brings it system up to a CAT1 Thatcham which does give additional insurance discount.

It works using the vehicles own central locking and we can disable the internal movement sensor should we leave the dog in the van.

So if you are looking at an alarm look for a Cat 2-1.

Also we have a fiamma safe door, more as a deterrent than anything else, as if someone is determined enough they will gain entry.

We just use a traditional lock for the bikes but I believe some alarm systems have a loop that if broken triggers the alarm system.

OP
OP
Z

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I absolutely agree.

In nutshell what I am asking is the best deterrent v value for money:

Pit Bull
Landmine
Axe welding maniac

:RollEyes:

You have to face it there is only so much yoiu can do, easy to stop the opportunist thief but if they really want it they WILL get it!:Sad:

OP
OP
Z

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Thanks for the advice.

I have just found out the immobiliser is a CAT2 Corba Immobiliser 8510. Not exactly sure the benefit of having 2 immobiliers. Just more keys to lost and the expense of replacing.

Definitely thinking of getting something along the lines you have followed for vehicle security.

The fiamma door safe, yes its more sturdy, but will create more damage if someone whats to get in. A bit of double edge sword eh?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have just been through some of this, so will tell you my experience. I have a fiat ducato which has an imobiliser as standard which gives it a CAT2 Thatcham rating. I have just had a cobra alarm (Cat 2-1) fitted (includes internal movement sensors and a storage locker sensor) and this brings it system up to a CAT1 Thatcham which does give additional insurance discount.

It works using the vehicles own central locking and we can disable the internal movement sensor should we leave the dog in the van.

So if you are looking at an alarm look for a Cat 2-1.

Also we have a fiamma safe door, more as a deterrent than anything else, as if someone is determined enough they will gain entry.

We just use a traditional lock for the bikes but I believe some alarm systems have a loop that if broken triggers the alarm system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the advice.

The fiamma door safe, yes its more sturdy, but will create more damage if someone whats to get in. A bit of double edge sword eh?

Dave

Most certainly won't stop a determined individual, but most likely they would choose another entry point. As a high percentage on thefts are opportunist, I hope it would be enough to deter.

I had also considered a tracker device, but after reading a few threads on here decided it probably was not worth the extra outlay.

As I say if you decide to go for the alarm option go for a cat2-1. If you want details of the cobra (other alarms are available :Cool: ) with its accessories let me know and I will dig them out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back