Propane Regulator (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve noticed when using one off our gaslow bottles both with its own regulator, the hob is sometimes hard to light.
Been looking at regulators and see some are quoted at 4kg/hour and some 1kg/hour, I didn’t know the came in different outputs, both 37mbar.
So which ones to get?

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Depends on how many gas appliances you are running. If you have gas heater, gas oven and hobs running then the 4kg per hour would have no problem supplying the qty of gas. The 1kg per hour might struggle. If you get the manuals out they usually detail the quantity of gas the appliance uses per hour on max. You can then work out your max demand and buy the regulator that suits best, ie slightly higher than your max demand.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I thought the van has its own regulator without the need for another?

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I think using a bottle top reg at 37 mbar will 'over gas' your system, and will result in the fridge 'roaring', with accompanying sooting up of the flue / jet....I did it on a van and that's what happened.
You may also notice a slight blackening (sooting) of the pans on the hob.
Vans, post 2002 (approx), were fitted with bulkhead regs at 30 mbar, and appliances where then jetted to suit.

Allen

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I think using a bottle top reg at 37 mbar will 'over gas' your system, and will result in the fridge 'roaring', with accompanying sooting up of the flue / jet....I did it on a van and that's what happened.
You may also notice a slight blackening (sooting) of the pans on the hob.
Vans, post 2002 (approx), were fitted with bulkhead regs at 30 mbar, and appliances where then jetted to suit.

Allen
depends on the age of the van and the apliances fitted

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Suggest you change the regulator to a 30mb bulkhead model.. I Link Removed .. this has been the standard pressure for both Butane and Propane in caravans for many years..

it may not resolve your problem.. but at least you can eliminate any issues with the old 37mb regulator ..

I had a Hymer, same year and it had one fitted when I bought it..

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I suggest the hob ignition system is poorly designed or faulty and nothing to do with the regulator.
I wouldn’t it’s the hob as it’s only 4 months old, the hob that is, and it’s only when one certain bottle is used.
Thanks for you thoughts anyway.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Assuming you are talking about the Hymer (B544?) in your avatar, doesn’t it have a bulkhead regulator as Theonlysue said? Or do you have some alternative installation? Mine used to have the original Truma Trionic regulator system, fitted by Hymer and fed by two Gaslow bottles, but when that failed I had a Clesse (Gaslow) regulator and two-way changeover fitted to replace it. Not sure I understand why each Gaslow bottle would have its own regulator.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sometimes people use bottle top regulators rather than bulkhead regulators and I think that's what the OP has, first thing is to eliminate it being a bottle and/or reg fault so I would swap the regulators round and see if the bottle that's not giving out enough gas works okay, if so it's definitely the regulator, if not then it's the bottle. I can't see why it would be the hob seeing as it's okay with one of the bottles/regs.

Another thought ... it could actually be the pipe if it's got a partial blockage ... so once you've done the above and assuming the bottle is okay, examine the 'faulty' reg/pipe combination and see if you can see anything wrong.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Assuming you are talking about the Hymer (B544?) in your avatar, doesn’t it have a bulkhead regulator as Theonlysue said? Or do you have some alternative installation? Mine used to have the original Truma Trionic regulator system, fitted by Hymer and fed by two Gaslow bottles, but when that failed I had a Clesse (Gaslow) regulator and two-way changeover fitted to replace it. Not sure I understand why each Gaslow bottle would have its own regulator.

No it didn’t have a bulkhead regulator when we bought the van in 2009, just bottle regulator. So when I fitted the Gaslow i just followed that and fitted a regulator to each bottle and it’s worked fine until recently.
Have you a photo of your setup.
Cheers

Sometimes people use bottle top regulators rather than bulkhead regulators and I think that's what the OP has, first thing is to eliminate it being a bottle and/or reg fault so I would swap the regulators round and see if the bottle that's not giving out enough gas works okay, if so it's definitely the regulator, if not then it's the bottle. I can't see why it would be the hob seeing as it's okay with one of the bottles/regs.

Another thought ... it could actually be the pipe if it's got a partial blockage ... so once you've done the above and assuming the bottle is okay, examine the 'faulty' reg/pipe combination and see if you can see anything wrong.

Yes i think swapping regulators would be a good idea.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Here is my present installation. The pipe work on the left of centre at the back, with a union that has a blob of red paint on it, is the original feed to the van. That pipe comes from the bottom of the regulator (round and golden) travels down a bit then does 3 90 degree turns back up to the union. All that is original so when I had a new regulator and changeover unit (above the regulator) it simply coupled on to the original pipe work. It’s all a bit tight but it just goes in.
I decided on a Gaslow / Clesse regulator as they have a 5 year guarantee and the replacement Truma regulator (which is what Hymer fit nowadays) has a history of failure.

Attachments

• D98FF28E-77E0-4812-9B60-C1D9C5841E5B.jpeg
    D98FF28E-77E0-4812-9B60-C1D9C5841E5B.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 18

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread