Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
Worcester area
Funster No
MH
C class Ducato LP
Exp
36 months
Hi everyone, I have noticed over the last two trips that my right hip is uncomfortable/painful after a couple of hundred miles in the driving seat. :cry:I wonder whether it might be the position of the accelearator pedal plus my short (fat/hairy) legs. Anyone got any (clean/realistic) suggestions. New model Fiat Ducato 2007 vintage base vehicle. E520 Bessacarr the manufacturer.
Thanks
Keith

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
lowered seat base.

the seat is too high for the pedal angle so your ankle/foot is at a strange angle...toe's too high unless you drive flat out. :Doh:

its either that or 3" cuban heel boots:roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
Hi
Might seem picky but most professional drivers would take a break after 200 miles/4 hours maybe you are sat in the seat to long

Pete:thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I get that sometimes so I just adjust the seat position slightly each time I stop, down a bit, back a bit etc.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its not allowed for hgv drivers to exceed 4.5 hrs driving .they must stop for a 45min break . its common in europe for the drivers to drive 1.5 hr then 15 min break .the police over there recomend this when or if they stop you .
take lots more you dont have to drive that far or so long in your camper. cheers alan.

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
I was going to quote geo, but then read on and came to the conclusion that I have to agree with all the replies so far; the most obvious rule is to take breaks, and I like the idea of moving the seat slightly each time. But I have to go back to Geo and agree that 'cruise control' is, whilst meaning you have to spend money, money well spent in my view.

I am registered disabled due to cancer on the knee, and a secondary 3 years later on the lung, and whilst I drive a fully automatic car, I am fortunate that I am still legally allowed to drive a manual gearbox. Of course I choose to drive shorter 'legs' of the journey between stops when driving the MH, but I have found that driving up to Denmark is MUCH easier with the cruise control as you get on the autobahn, engage a sensible speed, click the cruise control and then you can sit there and 'dance' both legs and feet around, keeping circulation etc going.

I will say though, before someone else does :winky: Cruise control is NOT an excuse to sit back and choose to drive further before you take a break.

Adge

OP
OP
K

keithfal

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
Worcester area
Funster No
MH
C class Ducato LP
Exp
36 months
I was going to quote geo, but then read on and came to the conclusion that I have to agree with all the replies so far; the most obvious rule is to take breaks, and I like the idea of moving the seat slightly each time. But I have to go back to Geo and agree that 'cruise control' is, whilst meaning you have to spend money, money well spent in my view.

I am registered disabled due to cancer on the knee, and a secondary 3 years later on the lung, and whilst I drive a fully automatic car, I am fortunate that I am still legally allowed to drive a manual gearbox. Of course I choose to drive shorter 'legs' of the journey between stops when driving the MH, but I have found that driving up to Denmark is MUCH easier with the cruise control as you get on the autobahn, engage a sensible speed, click the cruise control and then you can sit there and 'dance' both legs and feet around, keeping circulation etc going.

I will say though, before someone else does :winky: Cruise control is NOT an excuse to sit back and choose to drive further before you take a break.

Adge

Thanks for the various replies. I obviously didnt state that I normally drive for around 1 hour before taking a break / P stop. Hip still hurts (slightly) noticeable when relaxing at end of day in bed. Cruise control is a nice thought but fitting it could be pricy. I was wondering if a proper full foot pedal hinged to the floor might be available? Other wise its lowering the seat by removing the swivel mechanism which will never be used on E520 anyway (end lounge).
Keith

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have disc problems and cruise control is my best gadget.

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
similar probs ...not cured but relieved a little by having a piece of 19mm MDF to rest the right foot on (MDF carpet taped to floor, make sure it doesn't foul the accelerator pedal :winky:)

(Cheaper than cruise control:ROFLMAO:)

Last edited by a moderator:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Keith

I have just had a hip op 9 weeks ago and i used to get pain like yourself i was told by a pysio if possible have your hips above your knees when sitting because when knees are above hip it puts a lot of pressure on it he also told me to roll a small towel up and use as lumber support because if your back has a good posture less stress on your hips other than that it could be the start of the end for your hip mine started to get sore doing certain things then sore all the time but the tips above did work for me.

Gerry

Mastodon

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Funster No
I used to do it in my T4 by putting my left foot under my right heel for a while. Then I fitted cruise control, had it on every vehicle since - you can wiggle your feet, get up and walk around, put the kettle on etc.

I made some of that up...

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
similar probs ...not cured but relieved a little by having a piece of 19mm MDF to rest the right foot on (MDF carpet taped to floor, make sure it doesn't foul the accelerator pedal :winky:)

You may cure your problem rather than relieve it by getting cruise control:ROFLMAO:

(dearer than a piece of MDF):ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

i was going to suggest that option but it would need to be very securely fixed down.
if you have rubber floor covering topped by loose carpet (my ducato does) then fix it to the rubber matting with the carpet over the top of it...it wont move then.
it could even be doubled up...two pieces glued and screwed together which will bring your foot up to a more relaxed height with your foot in a more natural position.:thumb:

david tovey

Free Member
May 28, 2010
Funster No
Dave

Hi everyone, I have noticed over the last two trips that my right hip is uncomfortable/painful after a couple of hundred miles in the driving seat. :cry:I wonder whether it might be the position of the accelearator pedal plus my short (fat/hairy) legs. Anyone got any (clean/realistic) suggestions. New model Fiat Ducato 2007 vintage base vehicle. E520 Bessacarr the manufacturer.
Thanks
Keith

Hi Keith I had this problem although I don`t have short legs I found that my motor home (left hand drive) has the drivers seat to the left of and not in the centre of the steering wheel when you stand behind the drivers seat and view it . I can only think that this was done to allow more room between the seats . my gas pedal was to far to the right. I have modified the rotation plate under the seat to bring it centre of the pedals . I suggest you look at this as I now it can be very painful .

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
regular breaks AND cruise control. Max cost of cruise control for your vehicle is £435 (less 5% funster discount:Cool:) and that's assuming its an X2/50 model, if its the previous model Ducato then £360 (less 5% discount).

Give us a call,D.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

I realised on the 70-mile motorway journey home from buying our first Ducato-based motorhome (2004 vintage) that the accelerator pedal position was uncomfortable.

As soon as I got home I located a rectangular piece of 38mm heavy oak (30cm x 23cm off-cut from new kitchen worktop), put some rubber pads on the bottom to further minimise any movement, and haven't looked back since.

My wife thinks it's mad, but it works really well. I'd like to get a cruise control fitted (have always had it on my cars since the early 90s), but in the meantime I can manage with the chunk of wood. Additionally, it's also comfortable to drive at times when it wouldn't be feasible to use a cruise control ie country roads and very heavy traffic etc.

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Thanks
Keith

I have the same problem after a long drive > 3hours (car and MH) now I stop after an hour or so get out of thje car stretched for 1or 2 minute and carry on Seem to cure the problem Hope it helps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back