IDM Alarm...specifically for caravans WHY!? (1 Viewer)

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I bought a secondhand MH, and it has a IDM Alarm with a single PIR fitted. The alarm is not working, I suspect the battery is dead. So replacing the battery may kick it into life.

However that is not my question. All adverts etc state that it is specifically designed for Caravans. Even a IDM expert I contacted was surprised to see it in a Motorhome. Should have asked why he thought this, but missed that one :Sad:

So funsters, any one got the IDM alarm in their MHs. Why is it for Caravans...cant quite work that one out!?

Dave

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
obviously a very much caravan orientated company.

if there is a power supply available, or in this case a battery, it could be used for any purpose....garage, garden shed, single room in a house or even in a car.

so why they should be surprised its in a motorhome is beyond me !!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A caravan alarm will be a stand alone alarm where a Motorhome one will integrate with the canbuss system and arm/disarm with your standard key fob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A caravan alarm will be a stand alone alarm where a Motorhome one will integrate with the canbuss system and arm/disarm with your standard key fob.

you are correct of course but......Dave has one of these 'economy' alarms fitted and, as already stated, there is no reason why it cant be used in a motorhome.

the alarm (none working now) in our 'junk store' static is a single PIR and has a 10 second entry/exit delay and is key operated.
no reason at all why that cant be used in a motorhome either.

So......it still doesnt answer the question as to why the makers find it strange/unusual for one to be fitted in a motorhome

KSH

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I've been looking at these IDM alarms and wondering why they can't be used for a motorhome??

What, in your opinion is suitable?

PS - do they do one with door sensors rather than just using PIR's? that way I could set it at night, doors only

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've been looking at these IDM alarms and wondering why they can't be used for a motorhome??

What, in your opinion is suitable?

PS - do they do one with door sensors rather than just using PIR's? that way I could set it at night, doors only

could easily be modified.....a PIR is only an automatic switch. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like its a bit basic for that...it could have pir AND mag switches though, but still not independant.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back