Have you hired a MH - recommendations please ... (1 Viewer)

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
we're looking to hire a MH for a week before we finally commit to spending our money, but I've just been quoted £1140 for a week at the end of June :whatthe: Admittedly, it was for a 4 berth MH with both of us covered to drive, but it was only for UK use and outside of school holidays (when I would have expected the price to rocket).

Does anyone have recommendations of a trustworthy but cheap place to hire from - preferably somewhere in the middle/north of England?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
at that rate you could almost buy a cheapo from fleabay have your holiday then dump it or sell it on , or even part exchange for something a lot better.
Link Removed

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
at that rate you could almost buy a cheapo from fleabay have your holiday then dump it or sell it on , or even part exchange for something a lot better.

And if I wasn't such a monumental wimp about buying from Ebay, that might be a pretty darned smart idea .....!
In fact, I might have to give that some serious thought ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Kath

Free Member
May 24, 2010
Funster No
Hi White Rose

Have a look at Link Removed

Based in Rochdale, much better rates than you have been quoted and you get a chauffeur/chef included.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi we hired from a young couple at Link Removed and found them very good, their rates were the best we could find, the van was spotless when we picked it up, they spent as long as we needed showing us how everything worked, they were on the end of the phone if we had any problems and only charged a £300 returnable cash deposit, and even though we had dented the rear bumper they only took what it cost to repair, so we were very impressed and would recommend them wholeheartedly.:thumb:

Last edited:

Paula

Free Member
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset England
Funster No
Exp
3 years
Well we do hire ours out occasionally and we charge £83 a day for a small 4 berth in the middle of the high season. That is £581 for the week so a good bit cheaper than the price you were quoted. However ours is 12 yrs old and those you were looking at might have been less than 2 yrs old. The insurance would therefore be higher but all the same that is a lot of dosh. We are down in Somerset though so not in the area you are looking.

Paula

Free Member
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset England
Funster No
Exp
3 years
OH - and our insurance company absolutely insists on 500 quid held during hire as security/deposit thing and if it went to a festival they want 1K!

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Hi White Rose

Have a look at Link Removed

Based in Rochdale, much better rates than you have been quoted and you get a chauffeur/chef included.

Thanks Kath - I've just got well and truly sucked into reading the blog on your site, that sounded like a fantastic trip and I can't believe how low your prices are for the level of service you are offering! It's not what we want at the moment, thank you - we need to have a really good try out as we would use a van in reality, and sadly that will include us driving and cooking, but I bet you'll have lots of success with the combination you are offering.

Hi we hired from a young couple at Link Removed and found them very good, their rates were the best we could find, the van was spotless when we picked it up, they spent as long as we needed showing us how everything worked, they were on the end of the phone if we had any problems and only charged a £300 returnable cash deposit, and even though we had dented the rear bumper they only took what it cost to repair, so we were very impressed and would recommend them wholeheartedly.:thumb:

Thanks Wizzer - have put them into my favourites to show Mr WR tonight. That's much more like the price level I was expecting - and even then it feels like a lot, but I guess that's the price of insurance etc. as Paula says.

Thanks Paula too - yes, you are a bit far south (not least as I'm hoping to go up to Scotland for the week!), but thank you for the info.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Motorhome Hire

We hired from Time out UK based in Guisborough North Yorkshire
tel 01287 632758 ask for Elaine.

They have 3 vans 2 4 6 berth we only had the 2 berth.
It was 2 years as now and we had the van for 3 weeks to go to Norkapp following the artic highway think we payed about £1000 in total including insurance with about £500 deposit.
We lost the porthole window out of the door it was sucked out by passing wagons in Norway but we came to an arrangement with Elaine and we payed parts and she payed labour (or other way round).And our deposit was returned.
Would definetly reccomend them.-Sue :thumb:

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Thanks Vera/Sue! I was trying to find a website for them so I could have a look at their MHs, but I don't think they have one. Trying to follow them around the internet, I'm not sure whether they've recently changed their name to Sunset Motorhome Hire (not to be confused with SunSet Motorhome hire who seem to be in Scotland!). Think going back to the old fashioned option and giving them a call might be the best plan!

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Let us know how you get on as I might be interested for next year.

Has anyone hired in France or is the best option hire in UK the Chunnel across?

Sue

Andrew Rchardson

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
York
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have hired Motorhomes from Avondale at Wakefield, on a couple of occasions
I found them very good to deal with. They had good qualty Autotrail and Adria motohomes, which were clean and tidy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back