Free Member
Jul 11, 2009
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Knauss
Exp
1/2
I want to put a solar system in my motor home.
How big should it be if I use only lighting and the water pump?
How big should it be if I want to charge my laptop?
What about a microwave?
Do I need a 12 volt microwave or can I get an adepter?
Can I use the same adapter for my laptop and the microwave?
How big should the battery be It should fit where the current second battery is now so it can not be to big.
Do you know which brand to get?
I live in Portugal, Algarve, any help for shops there?
I have a solar panel already.
What is the best way to get the wiring from outside to inside?
Lots of questions, already thanks for the reply! :Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
go and have a holiday i maroc .get 3x80wt panels and a regulater all fitted very reasonable by the solar man .look around agadir camping there are lots there. best not use a micowave .they use alot of power. get about 4-500amp woth of batteries. big truck ones ok.other than dec ,jan feb .you should then have lots of power .within reason. mine were switching off by lunch time a month ago in galecia . we use the twin tub washing machines through an inverter +household fridge 240v .never touched a hook up and were away 5mnths .

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What about a microwave?
How big should the battery be It should fit where the current second battery is now so it can not be to big.
Lets do this the easy way
you tell us what size panel you have, and we will try and work out what you can do with it
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi marjolijnc, and welcome :thumb: firstly how do you use your m/h ? are you wild camping or use sites? Fitting a second l/ battery will double your usage on 12v :thumb: cheaply :thumb:Since you have a solar panel fit it by all means :thumb: this will involve drilling through the roof or side of your van which must be sealed correctly around the wires / hole.
12 v microwaves are a complete waste of time :RollEyes: get a small 700 watt one (if you must) and use a inverter at around 1500 w peak power as the microwave will use about 1200 w on start up :Eeek:The inverter will also charge the laptop even though a very big bit over the top :ROFLMAO: Either way the m/w will cane your battery's and if you take my advise only use it while on hook up via the 240 v :thumb: If you use it this way you can get a small 150w inverter to charge your laptop and most other small thing in your van :thumb:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What about a microwave?

1 Solar panel, as big as you can afford within the available roof space. I wouldn't buy less than 80 watt .. 120 watt or bigger would be favourite remember you can add it to your existing panle provided the charge controller is man enough.

2. Forget a microwave if your not on EHU , if on EHU buy a cheap low wattage (800 - 850 watt ) domestic.

3. Fit as big a battery ( in Ampere hours ) as physically possible , don't waste money on 'brand' names .. cheap and big is best

4.You can use a small inverter for charging a lappy or mobile phone, 150 watt should be adequate

5. Cable goes through the roof, usually into a roof locker or wardrobe.. When you buy a panel ask about a cable entry gland for the roof.. don't forget you also need a charge controller, supplier should be able to advise and supply.

6. Can't help with shops in Portugal but ebay is a good place to start looking

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
50W would be more than enough.

that depends on the laptop but assuming a 45 lappy, and 80W panel would do it

What about a microwave?
A microwave will need a massive inverter and more batteries than you have space for.
See above

Anything that uses 240Volts can run from an inverter subject to 1) being a lower Wattage than the inverter, and 2) you having sufficient battery storage to cope.

The size of battery storage required is Dependant on your usage. A 110 amp/hour battery only has 55 usable amp/hours due to the fact a battery should not be discharged more than 50% unless it is a dedicated deep discharge battery. an 80W panel flat on the roof will provide around 1.5 amps per hour on average throughout the day when the sun is shining giving you around 18 amp/hrs use a day. any greater use will need other methods of charging either by driving, or mains hookup. when it is cloudy you will get less and probably use more. So the more batteries you have the better. To be totally independent of driving and hookup we find 4 x 110 amp/hour batteries and 2 x 80W solar panels do the job. That allows for 5-7 hours of TV or laptop a day.

Pass

maybe JJ can help with this one

Fit a waterproof connection box to the roof, that will allow future cables to go in through the same hole. Bring the cables down inside of a wardrobe then distribute though the overhead lockers to wherever they néed to be without a lot of cables showing.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think most campers either use a shop in aljezur .or bert the travelling dutchman in a big daf +trailer. look in all the free papers you sometimes see seconhand ones if someone is getting rid of their house solar bank . try and speak to someone from a house with a bank of solar they can tell you who as stock local to you.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
A whole solar system in your m/h? What, with all the planets and asteroids and things? Are you The Doctor? Does your van resemble an old police box?:Eeek:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Like TDH, I thought it's a bit ambitious to fit a solar system in your MH.

Here's a quick answer. Collect the following:
Sun-any ball, diameter 8.00 inches
Mercury-a pinhead, diameter 0.03 inch
Venus-a peppercorn, diameter 0.08 inch
Earth-a second peppercorn
Mars-a second pinhead
Jupiter-a chestnut diameter 0.90 inch
Saturn-a hazelnut or an acorn, diameter 0.70 inch
Uranus-a peanut or coffeebean, diameter 0.30 inch
Neptune-a second peanut
Pluto- a third pinhead (or smaller, since Pluto is the smallest planet, if it is a planet).

One inch = 100,000 miles.

So put the Sun where you can see it, and start walking. 10 paces drop Mercury. 9 more, Venus. 7 more, Earth. By now, you'd better go back and put sticks instead of peppercorns, etc. 14 paces from Earth, Mars, and we start motoring. 95 paces, Jupiter.112 paces, Saturn, and we pick up speed. 249 paces, Uranus. 281 paces, Neptune 242 more paces, Pluto. The solar system actually goes further, but we'll rest here awhile

If my sums are right, you've done 1,016 paces - a mile is 1760! You won't be able to see the sun, except through the good binoculars that were posted here the other day.

So, if you really want to fit the solar system in your MH, please don't park it near me...

BTW, for those who can't remember the order of the planets, try 'Men Very Early Made Jugs Serve Useful New Purposes'. It'll take you less time to learn that than it did for me to type it, and you'll remember that for decades after I've left this Earth...

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
hi , you have a great solar power supplier and fitter just outside aljezur near cap st vincent, i got a charge controller there 2 years ago, regards sean

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
TDH - A coffee bean for Uranus?

(Well somebody had to say it!)

Me - I wish! Started the treatment proper today, all I've got to do is get the blog on the net . It's been pretty hilarious so far, the latest is that as Nursey asks for my date of birth every time, so I've today had to suggest she gets treatment for loss of her short term memory.

Next week I'll throw her by quoting it either a.u.c. (Ab urbe condita - when ancient Rome was founded) which was 21 April 573 BC, or else add on the 11 days stolen when we changed from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar in 1751. Other options include the Moslem and Japanese calendars. Security is all very well, but when you are greeted with "Good Morning, Tony, when were you born?" every ruddy day it gets boring!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back