Old tyres may invalidate insurance? (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
MH sailed through its MOT yesterday and the guy was pleased to see tyres were only 3y old (on the back).(y)

Then he moved to the front and said "OMG - 10y old!" (n)

I don't want a lecture on how I shouldn't have left them on that long (even though there is plenty of tread and no visible sidewall deterioration) and I don't need advising to change them, thank you. :whistle:

HOWEVER, he did say that some insurance companies were invalidating their cover if tyres were "old".
Does anyone have chapter and verse on this please?
Or was it BS??

TIA - Gordon

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Almost certainly BS , as there is no legislation to say tyres of a certain age are unroadworthy , its all down to inspection on condition . He has just passed them at MOT thereby saying vehicle is classed as roadworthy at time of inspection !

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
agree with @tacr2man

however, in the event of an accident they would look very closely at the condition of them and the age, and if they were found to have been a contributing factor due to their age they 'may' refuse to pay out..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Regardless of what the insurance company says I don't think I'd be happy having 10 year old tyres on my MH/camper ... what you can't see is any internal deterioration or the condition of the rubber itself which can harden over time and therefore not being so 'flexible' can split or blow if it hits something hard, gets hot etc ...

Me, regardless of MOT outcome, I'd be changing them.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
HOWEVER, he did say that some insurance companies were invalidating their cover if tyres were "old".
Does anyone have chapter and verse on this please?
Or was it BS??

TIA - Gordon

Having just skim-read my Comfort MH policy booklet I didn't find anything to support that statement. The closest is exclusion 4 to Section 1 which says that the policy does not cover "Damage to tyres by braking or by punctures, cuts or bursts."

NB that only applies to the tyres themselves, so if an old tyre fails and as a direct consequence there is damage to some other part of the MH that other loss or damage should be covered.

I was half expecting to see a general condition requiring the policyholder to maintain the motorhome in accordance with something or other but I didn't find it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I was half expecting to see a general condition requiring the policyholder to maintain the motorhome in accordance with something or other but I didn't find it.

Comfort

At all times during the period of cover, the vehicle must be maintained in a roadworthy condition and regularly serviced

Your motorhome must at all times have a valid MOT certificate (unless not required due to age of the vehicle) and current UK Road Fund Licence

You shall maintain your motorhome in efficient condition and we shall have, at all times, free access to examine your motorhome.

OP
OP
Rapido925M
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Regardless of what the insurance company says I don't think I'd be happy having 10 year old tyres on my MH/camper ... what you can't see is any internal deterioration or the condition of the rubber itself which can harden over time and therefore not being so 'flexible' can split or blow if it hits something hard, gets hot etc ...

Me, regardless of MOT outcome, I'd be changing them.

YES but I did say I didn't need a lecture. Thank you.

Gordon

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
YES but I did say I didn't need a lecture. Thank you.

Gordon
That wasn't a lecture, it was my opinion ... that's why I put 'ME' ... now if you really want a lecture you bad boy ...

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Comfort

At all times during the period of cover, the vehicle must be maintained in a roadworthy condition and regularly serviced

Your motorhome must at all times have a valid MOT certificate (unless not required due to age of the vehicle) and current UK Road Fund Licence

You shall maintain your motorhome in efficient condition and we shall have, at all times, free access to examine your motorhome.
There was no obvious visible damage when I carried out my regular pre flight examination of my vehicle your Honour.
Sorted, let them prove otherwise

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Before Motorhome Fun, I never knew anything about the age of tyres or payloads or habitation checks or that motorway services are dangerous or full time insurance or food safe hose pipes or or or or...

JJ :cool:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Before Motorhome Fun, I never knew anything about the age of tyres or payloads or habitation checks or that motorway services are dangerous or full time insurance or food safe hose pipes or or or or...

You’re never too old to learn JJ.

...........oh hang on, maybe you are :p

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You’re never too old to learn..

And luckily, when older, you learn to detect boll*cks and smell b*llsh*t...

... food grade hose pipes... give over :rofl:

Next thing they'll try and sell folk is special toilet paper for cassette loos...

JJ

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years

You'll be saying next that you run on commercial van tyres and without a rear view camera, tyrepal or satellite tv just like me....or an emissions sticker

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

or or or.. @yodeli .. ;)

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Getting back to the insurance by the time the insurance assessor looks at your wrecked vehicle about a month later the wheels could have been pinched/ swapped but then he might take the wreck to a weigh bridge or analyse the age of the brake fluid but probably just tick a box on his paperwork and get back in the ca

OP
OP
Rapido925M
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
That wasn't a lecture, it was my opinion ... that's why I put 'ME' ... now if you really want a lecture you bad boy ...

As with motorhomes, the later models usually perform better:

However, I have taught in secondary schools both in the UK and abroad spanning 5 decades. I finished my career with a 3y stint at my local university plus addressing teachers in venues across England & Wales (including the Universities of York & Manchester, plus the National Space Centre). So I think I have a reasonable idea of what a lecture looks like :LOL::LOL::LOL:.

So when the phrase "..you can't see [is] any internal deterioration or the condition of the rubber itself which can harden over time and therefore not being so 'flexible' can split or blow if it hits something hard, gets hot etc ..." it falls into the category of a lecture, in my opinion. :p

To be honest, I don't really mind BUT I wanted this thread to be about possible problems with insurance rather than the mechanics of tyre fatigue. My degree was in Physics and I wrote, taught and examined a GCSE topic entitled "safety", which devoted 60% of its content to road safety, so I'm sufficiently ashamed and embarrassed to discover my slovenly behaviour. However, in the interests of helping other folk on this forum, I was prepared to reveal the errors of my way. Suffice it to say, these were the first things which I replaced when I bought my MH (was it really 10y ago?)! :oops:

Thank you @Minxy Girl for your frequent informative, helpful and often humourous posts - Gordon

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
So when the phrase "..you can't see [is] any internal deterioration or the condition of the rubber itself which can harden over time and therefore not being so 'flexible' can split or blow if it hits something hard, gets hot etc ..." it falls into the category of a lecture, in my opinion. :p
If you think THAT's a lecture you must be a southern softie! :rofl: ;)

Thank you @Minxy Girl for your frequent informative, helpful and often humourous posts - Gordon
I aim to please, good to know my efforts are appreciated ... sometimes! :D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back