Campscout Water Tank (1 Viewer)

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi folks,
I've got a silly newbie question ! I have not yet filled the water tank to the very top. I have had a look underneath the van and can see the drain line but cannot find an overflow line. If I overfill the tank, is there an overflow drain or does it just come back out the inlet line ?
I have purchased one of the HeoSolution connectors and would like to know what to expect if I don't turn it off in time.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Sue

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't like the Heosolution connectors. In my experience the average tank overflow (assuming one exists) can't handle the input from a filling hose at full bore. This means that, to some extent, the tank will be pressurised. Something that neither it, nor its pump and sensor connections, is designed for. The Heosolution appears not to have its own breather / overflow so if I was to use one I'd drill a 1/2 hole in it. You could then fill safely until water spurted out of your drilled hole.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CamperSue
Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
I don't like the Heosolution connectors. In my experience the average tank overflow (assuming one exists) can't handle the input from a filling hose at full bore. This means that, to some extent, the tank will be pressurised. Something that neither it, nor its pump and sensor connections, is designed for. The Heosolution appears not to have its own breather / overflow so if I was to use one I'd drill a 1/2 hole in it. You could then fill safely until water spurted out of your drilled hole.

@tonyidle Thanks. I will likely try drilling a hole as you suggest. I need water filling to be a one person job but i can't find anywhere to hang the hose and i want to be careful not to damage the inlet hose.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Mine clearly doesn't have one either. If I fill it to the top it overflows into the van. So I only fill it to 75%.
Really? It shouldn't. Have you checked the inspection hatches are fully tightened?
I don't have a camps our, so can't comment on specifics, but I use a heosafe filler cap on our 600L revolution and I don't seem to have a problem. When the tank is full, it overflows from the heosafe filler cap when filling and I've noticed dribbling from the locking cap after driving.
The only time I have seen water in the van was afreri had an inspection hatch open and I must have not fully tightened it up after replacing it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They make 2 types one with and one without abreather hole, just have to by the right type for your van.
I don't see the point of then, I just shove my hose in the inlet, never fallen out yet even with very high water pressure.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
@tonyidle Thanks. I will likely try drilling a hole as you suggest. I need water filling to be a one person job but i can't find anywhere to hang the hose and i want to be careful not to damage the inlet hose.
@CamperSue
I'd hold off drilling anything until you try the heosafe filler cap and see how it goes.
It works fine on our 600L revolution and filling is a one person job ;)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I also have the Campscout and the filler cap is the breather overflow, I also use the heosafe filler with no problems just use the heosafe as it comes without fitting the extra large plastic washers which are used if you have a separate overflow.
@Lenny HB the problem with the Globecar range is that the filler points are virtually horizontal to the tank and not vertical same as most fillers, so it’s hard to keep the hose in if you are on your own.

John.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had a Heosafe and also a leak in our Familyscout, this is what I wrote at the time, fortunately we had no problems since then:

We had some water in the 'kitchen' area of the camper, under the unit and coming out from under it, which I knew wasn't form the tap I'd fitted and the only thing we had done was to fill the camper's water tank using the 'new' Heosafe filler so the cause was either the Heosafe or as a consequence of filling the tank, or both! :confused:

After much messing about we found the problem ... it was one of the 2 large red inspection hatches on the top of water tank that wasn't sealing properly so that when we filled the water up totally it came out past the cap. o_O Using the Heosafe meant that the hosepipe wasn't removed as quickly as if it was being held into the filler by hand, so more water 'leaked' than on previous occasions when filling. Once it had then got past the inspection cap it was running down the back of the tank and along the floor and possibly 'tracking' down the water pipe to the kitchen tap which goes downwards to the unit under the kitchen sink, in either event it meant that we had water where it shouldn't be! We weren't very happy as we also found that it could 'escape' when travelling too if the tank was quite full!!!:eek:

The cap is VERY difficult to tighten, we even swapped both around to check it was the cap and not the access hole, but the cap instead leaked on the other hole so it's definitely been the cap at fault - we've turned the seal round and have tightened it as much as we can ... we even put a little bit of liquid soap on it to help it screw in more and so far it's 'held' and is now watertight ... if we had some Sikaflex I'd have used that to seal the ruddy thing in place permanently as it's not ever likely to need to be removed anyway.
I don't therefore us a Heosafe (it was the one with the 'breather' holes in it) and instead now use my own 'invention' which I think is self explanatory from the pictures below ... the hook is off a coat hanger and in use hooks onto the rim inside the filler point so I don't have to hold it:

hose hook.png

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
They make 2 types one with and one without abreather hole, just have to by the right type for your van.
I don't see the point of then, I just shove my hose in the inlet, never fallen out yet even with very high water pressure.
Me too. But I made a J shaped piece of 15mm copper, fitted a hose click connector on one end then sleeved it with a short length of hose. It simply hangs in the tank inlet.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
With my previous experience with the water caps on the FamilyScout this has just reminded me to check the caps on the Campscout!!! (y)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun