Motorhome Toilet Emptied On Beach. (1 Viewer)

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-44451017

_101988074_morfabychangeograph.jpg

Motorhomes could be banned from parking on a beach overnight amid a claim a toilet was emptied on to the sand.

Gwynedd council is also considering increased beach access charges at Morfa Bychan, known locally as Black Rock Sands, in Porthmadog.

Councillor Selwyn Griffiths claimed campers staying overnight had left a "disgusting" mess.

The council confirmed it is planning to bring in "additional measures".

Emma Walters, a warden at the Black Rock Sands Touring and Camping Park, claimed she had caught a camper emptying a toilet at the weekend.

She said: "When I told him it was disgusting, he said 'tough'. You have to be careful.

"People are very annoyed. It's not only a tourist area, it's a nature area."

The council said its beach staff "actively advise" vehicles they should not park overnight but owners of motorhomes and campervans were "failing to comply with the requirements".

A spokesman added: "The council will be taking action... additional measures being considered include significantly increasing beach access charges for motorhomes and campervans and amending the beach by-laws to include the prohibition of remaining on the beach in a motor vehicle overnight."

Mr Griffiths said up to 70 vehicles have been staying at the site overnight, leaving residents "very upset".

"People walk along the sand dunes and are disgusted by what they see there," he added.

Public toilets at the beach have also been used to empty toilet contents, according to Mr Griffiths - leaving them "clogged up... disgusting, overflowing."

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Disgusting indeed BUT if they tolerate overnight parking of up to 70 vans what do they think folk are going to do, I mean using the public toilets not the beach.

High time the tourist authorities and councils woke up.

Martin

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
“Ban em” will be the decision by our short sighted, over paid reactionary councillors. In France it’s “we need to provide them with facilities”
We just stopped at a Super U near Vannes today with three motorhome service areas provided free, including grey water drain, toilet emptying/rinsing, tyre pressure pump and fresh water at 2 euros if you need it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Emma Walters, a warden at the Black Rock Sands Touring and Camping Park, claimed she had caught a camper emptying a toilet at the weekend.
So why didn’t she initiate proceedings against the offender? At the very least, fly tipping!
Or was the camper just letting his grey water dribble out harmlessly onto the beach?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So why didn’t she initiate proceedings against the offender? At the very least, fly tipping!
Or was the camper just letting his grey water dribble out harmlessly onto the beach?
Even that should be unacceptable grey water should be disposed of down the grey water drain provided, OH there isn't one;)

Martin

Reactions: TCG

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I would hope a warden from a touring site would know the difference between toilet waste and grey waste.

Difficult for an assumed off duty warden, walking on the beach, to initiate proceedings against a stranger, who may not have been next to his vehicle.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
a warden at the Black Rock Sands Touring and Camping Park, claimed she had caught a camper emptying a toilet at the weekend.
as i put on the other thread...

whilst im not condoning the alleged actions at all...i will say that this line is very familiar from local newspapers on a number of places along that coast, none of which have ever been supported by any evidence.

In one place further down the coast it was actually proved by a local resident that it was the warden/owner of a local campsite who was creating the problem as they were actually loosing business:mad:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
“Ban em” will be the decision by our short sighted, over paid reactionary councillors. In France it’s “we need to provide them with facilities”

Yes, it does appear to be an opportunity missed by both the local authority AND the camp site.

The local authority should be aware that there may be a problem if there are 70 vans overnight on the beach and need to think why and is this an opportunity to raise cash (no not by issuing fines unless????) The campsite should be asking why people are camping on the beach if there is a campsite nearby ..... and adjust their business model so as to increase revenue and decrease nuisance.

I have used a public wc facility to empty the cassette and left it cleaner and sweeter smelling than I found it. I did NOT block the drain - I fail to see how liquid waste from the cassette would block a drain (well ours is always mostly liquid after it has been treated overnight).

Last edited:

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
What an abuse of own responsibility. All staying in one of the most beautiful places in the UK alongside miles of golden sand, incredible views and clean water. These people make me sick, destroy it for everybody else and fouling the place up. No grey water anywhere, any time except the proper place. It's so simple to leave no trace or cause for complaint.

They've been talking about closing the nudist beach there because the ever present doggers wander away from the quiet places where proper nudists don't go and think their physique will impress the general public.

As has already been said "Another own goal"

Last edited:

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
as i put on the other thread...

whilst im not condoning the alleged actions at all...i will say that this line is very familiar from local newspapers on a number of places along that coast, none of which have ever been supported by any evidence.

In one place further down the coast it was actually proved by a local resident that it was the warden/owner of a local campsite who was creating the problem as they were actually loosing business:mad:

That's good to know! Where was this place please and who was said miscreant?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Not wanting to comment directly on this thread but would like to add something I saw 2 days ago that sums up just how disgusting some people can be. Stayed a few days on a lovely well kept rural site in Croatia. All facilities very good and well kept, included seperate doggy wash and facility for washing camping equipment. Went to empty my toilet cassette and was appalled to see that someone had emptied theirs in the doggy wash. This sums up some of the people that we have to mix with. It will eventually impact on our enjoyment.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
That's good to know! Where was this place please and who was said miscreant?
down the coast at fairbourne at the point. there was regular reports in the local paper about what had been witnessed over a period of a year or two but no evidence ever got produced, in fact no evidence where the cassets were witnessed being emptied either.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
On a site in Wimereux last year I came around the corner to discover a man washing out his toilet cassette in the pot washing sinks. No evidence that he had emptied it there but he was making use of the very hot water to rinse it out. Didn’t seem in the slightest bit embarrassed.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Went to empty my toilet cassette and was appalled to see that someone had emptied theirs in the doggy wash. This sums up some of the people that we have to mix with. It will eventually impact on our enjoyment.

Yuck

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Mmmm. How do , we, part of the motorhome fraternity, engage with the authorities?

Should we?

Currently it seems that individuals do this?

Or does Any group or association liaise with them?

Is there any wish to try and organise some form of engagement so, to take this as an example ,point out the lack of facilities, ask about why no action taken
Against the culprit etc.

CAn the camping and caravan or caravan and motirhome clubs be pressuerised by motorhome members to react to our requirements . After all the chair or is president of the C&MH club is part of the tourist industry establishment. There may be ways and means to try and influence the authorities to enabke responsible motorhoming?

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
down the coast at fairbourne at the point. there was regular reports in the local paper about what had been witnessed over a period of a year or two but no evidence ever got produced, in fact no evidence where the cassets were witnessed being emptied either.

Thanks but Do you happen to have the name of the newspaper and more precise location please

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
CAn the camping and caravan or caravan and motirhome clubs be pressuerised by motorhome members to react to our requirements . After all the chair or is president of the C&MH club is part of the tourist industry establishment. There may be ways and means to try and influence the authorities to enabke responsible motorhoming?

The "clubs" are run very much as businesses and each owns their own site network. They are consulted by the authorities as representing the interests of campers however it is open to debate as to how independent or representative they actually are.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I was in boulogne sur mer a few years ago and approached by a Brit motorhomer, who asked me where I emptied my grey and dump le poo poo. I explained I went to a local campsite and paid a couple of euros He was surprised he said why bother. Just do as he did dump it in the harbour.
Now no motorhome.

We can complain as much as we like, there will ALWAYS be a small minority who WILL spoil it for EVERYONE

Catering for motorhomes in the UK is never going to be a vote winner If you can afford to buy and run a motorhome then you can afford to stay and pay at a campsite. That appears to be the logic and now the bandwagon has moved on and campsites now charge for everything Dogs, awning, farting.

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I think that just because a local authority doesn't provide rescources it's no excuse for people to dump rubbish/effluent/waste water etc...
It's ok calling for 'evidence but we all know it's happening.
If the council want to increase charges then so be it... for all those comparing us to France we're not France and to experience France you have to go there .
The problem again seems to be a minority that want everything for nothing with no responsibility. Sadly

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I am slightly confused - a warden of a local camp site caught some one dumping black waste.

No Regn of the vehicle or id. No prosecution etc.

And people are surprised/shocked?

Or maybe I missed something?

I was thinking the same.
All this relies on "a claim" that someone dumped black waste on a beach.
Whilst it's believable, there seems to be a lack, even an absence, of evidence, as you point out.

Everything hangs on a report by a warden from a local campsite.
Vested interest?

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
The issue is that there will be a subconscious link between this dumping and the mess created by travellers. So a fair trial /hearing is not going to happen.
If anything I suspect the rules may get tougher.
reap what one sows

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
If anything I suspect the rules may get tougher.
reap what one sows

This reminds me of a situation last year at Dornoch, local campsites owners complained to local council reporting black waste being dumped on the dunes.

As i said then and believe now the hire fleets that supply sat navs pre loaded with wild/ free camping spots need to also advise the correct protocol surrounding black waste. People that hire motorhomes for short peoriods don't give a monkeys about the bad reputation they are creating.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I would hope a warden from a touring site would know the difference between toilet waste and grey waste.

Difficult for an assumed off duty warden, walking on the beach, to initiate proceedings against a stranger, who may not have been next to his vehicle.

@WSandME After reading some of the comments in the other post that is running on this subject, about links back to caravan site owning connections and counsellors, I formerly retract the earlier comments I made :LOL:

The warden's report may indeed be spurious and mischievous (y)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...mers-i-sometimes-despair.177507/#post-2879842

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
IF this happened then I think the culprit should be prosecuted ( or preferably shot!)

We've enjoyed staying on Black Rock sands.

Before the FLT chants start -

1, We have no problem paying for stuff that is good/worth it.

2, We left no waste of any kind.

3, We've also stayed on some of the campsites and they re pretty poor. None of them have a sea view - like barmouth they re behind the dunes.

Its about time the council upped their game and started trying to tempt more motorhomes etc. by offering modern world solutions not crappy old campsites that have barely changed since the war.

We were in Barmouth yesterday afternoon and the parking was more or less empty. there is a large carpark at the end of the prom which was totally empty yet overnight staying is banned. Instead you are expected to stay in the campsite which has a pretty poor access, very cramped and totally hidden from the beach by the railway line - attractive? Not.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Because she is a warden at a camp site so she is telling porkies.

I queried Scarborough council when a similar statement was in the press. I asked where and when it happened. Their reply was the report was anecdotal! Oh Please! what a bunch of corrupt bar stewards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back