Toilet .... (1 Viewer)

fletch

Free Member
May 11, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
..... just wondering what we should be putting down the loo & why (not even used it yet), the guy that we bought our m/h from suggested that we just buy the cheapest pine supermarket toilet cleaner for 20 odd pence a throw & not worry about the expensive stuff at camping shops ..... is this good advice & is it just put down the pan after use? :thumb:

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
..... just wondering what we should be putting down the loo & why (not even used it yet), the guy that we bought our m/h from suggested that we just buy the cheapest pine supermarket toilet cleaner for 20 odd pence a throw & not worry about the expensive stuff at camping shops ..... is this good advice & is it just put down the pan after use? :thumb:

it depends if you have a keen sense of smell, not saying i use the dearest but certainly always use the real stuff just look for the best price, it will stink with cheap dissenfectant!

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We use Elsan Organic, costs just under a fiver for a large bottle which lasts us several trips. We put approx a third of the cap off your cassette and find it ample. I have read of people using all sorts of fluids and for all I know they work. I use the real thing as I would be concerned about how the other fluids affect the seals. Hope this helps. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Floyd's Girl

Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Bracknell, Berkshire
Funster No
Exp
Many years as a caravanner, 4 months in a mhome & loving it!
I've only ever used Aquakem Blue or Green - not only do they stop the smells, but they also disintigrate most things that eventually end up in the loo :Blush: - not sure if plain old disinfectant would do that?

As for using the really cheap stuff - as they say - you get what you pay for!

Upvote 0

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...
Ariel Excel tabs...
Those green squishy bio capsules.
I put one in the tank and one in the flush tank.
Nice smell, does the job, doesn't stain plastic like chemicals...

:Smile:

Upvote 0

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
Biological washing liquid. Pleasanter smell than Aquakem etc and a lot cheaper. Being biological, breaks down waste quickly. VMax

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

You spent how much on your motorhome:cry:look after it please.

If your passing we have plenty of chemicals.

Peter

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We use "proper stuff" and have to empty it at least every other day , with there being 5 of us !
Cant understand why people think its so expensive. You only need a tiny bit and a bottle lasts us ages.
Why fork out all that money for a motorhome and have a stinky smell in it when you use it?
If the bloke you bought it off only used cheapest pine disinfectant in it when he had it, id make sure you give it a good sterilize. Hot water , Milton .
Dont use bleach cos of the seals . Id try and submerge the whole thing , if it was me. Id also do the water tank with Milton too , just to be sure . I put a drop of my surf washing liquid down the plug holes , and shower trap each time we go away in the Mh.
That way when the water goes down the plug it stays smelling nice till you empty it.

But then i insisted in swapping our loo cassette from our caravan , for the "new to us" MH. As it was the same model.
Cos i knew only our poo had been in it :ROFLMAO:

PS biological stuff only works properly with hot water. I think you can get stuff that works as low as 30 deg but i doubt your loo would get that warm ! Smells nice. But doubt it would do much for the germs.
It can strip the skin off bones with hot water. I remember sieng it on CSI so its got to be true !

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Aguakem Blue or any formaldehyde based toilet chemical is banned in Germany and should NOT be used in cesspits .. many CLs have such tanks for dumping ..

If you have an on board black tank you do not need chemicals .. in fact they prevent the natural breakdown of solids ..

Be kind to your planet, forget chemicals and fit a SOG ..:Smile:

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
"Aguakem Blue or any formaldehyde based toilet"

Don't think they use it any more Jim.

We found the smell of Aquakem a bit overpowering that's why we changed to Elsan Organic. Plus it's cheaper. :Smile:

Upvote 0

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
I'm with Vmax666 except we use fabric conditioner.
No smells and breaks down all matter well.
I reckon the bio route is better than the expensive special chemicals. Certainly does no marm to the equipment or the environment.
Patrick

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
"Aguakem Blue or any formaldehyde based toilet"

Don't think they use it any more Jim.

If that's the case Ken, I stand corrected, :Blush:

shows you how long it is since I had a porta potty .. :roflmto:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
having worked in the sewage industry as a driver,.i would advise dont use anything .maybe a spoon full of viegar. let it build up bacteria inside the cassette.never wash the inside .never use bleach etc. even leave some in when camper not in use. you need to let good bacteria do its job .alaso never empty it fully.
you should pay a visit to your local sewage farm ,its quite interesting .see nature at work.
as for the chemicals they cause alot of problems in the works. cornwall as lots of campsites with their own works .many stop working in the summer as too much chemicals get in and kill the bacteria. thats when i have to move in and remove the contents ,then replace some good non chemical brown stuff into their works. pays enough for a winter trip so must be good. cheers alan.

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Comfort Bio fabric conditioner works for us easy to get and as for fragrance - take your pick !

Upvote 0

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I note the SOG is supplied with fitting instructions, but it looks very fiddly. Will dealers fit these and will it effect any warranties?

Upvote 0

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
As Jim said get a SOG No chemicals at all :thumb::thumb:

I also use a SOG which was fitted to my Hymer when I bought it second hand in Germany.

I replaced my seals 3 years ago when I bought the van and have not had any problems with them. They have had various soaps and domestos on them in this time without showing any signs of problems. I use the spray lubricant from time to time. My original cassette had a calcium deposit inside it and I used the Thetford Tank Cleaner and it worked very well.

I am full timing and the toilet gets fully used. Unlike VWAlan I completely empty it every day and swill it out a number of times with clean water at each empty. If I do get a residual smell of ammonia, I wash it out with domestos and the smell goes. Otherwise I do not get unpleasant smells from the toilet in use due to the vacuum created by the SOG unit.

I carry two cassettes and rotate them from time to time. I also carry spare seals just in case I do need to replace one.

I do not believe in using chemicals for the reason VWAlan gives in his post.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi , i also spend 6 months living in the van each year .i do use mine alot as well. should tip out like thick soup. sorry i can talk s--t all night. ha ha
probably emptied and filled more tanks than most on this forum.
when not on sewage drive milk tankers ,but we do wash the milk tankers out. ha ha .
dont want to contaminate???
cheers alan.

Upvote 0

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
All these no bio chemicals such as bleach will be going down the sewers so think about what you put down there.
Bleach and the like kills the bacteria that breaks down waste and so you get a bad smell. Anyone who every dug a field toilet will tell you not to use bleach or disinfectant.

Phill

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I note the SOG is supplied with fitting instructions, but it looks very fiddly. Will dealers fit these and will it effect any warranties?

It's not that difficult provided you take your time and work out the steps before you cut into anything. It took me a 2 or 3 hours to fit a Sog last summer. Obviously, the ease with which you can fit one depends on your natural tendencies / capabilities as a DIYer.

Cannot comment on the warranty issue, but when the Sog was launched in Germany, I believe it was first offered as an option on Hymers. I have seen it as a factory fitted option in a number of Hymer catalogues since, so guess it must be fine. If in doubt, why not contact Symonspeed, the UK Sog importer? (Telephone 01803 214620 e-mail symonspeed@btconnect.com)

Philip

Upvote 0

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
All these no bio chemicals such as bleach will be going down the sewers so think about what you put down there.
Bleach and the like kills the bacteria that breaks down waste and so you get a bad smell. Anyone who every dug a field toilet will tell you not to use bleach or disinfectant.

Phill

There is bleach (Chlorine) put into your drinking water by the water companies. so all plastic pipes and fitting should be being damaged by them?

I have lived with Septic Tanks and when I asked Klargester (A maker of Septic Tanks) about using domestos I was told small quantities did no harm. It is excessive use that kills the bacteria. A small amount (a short squirt) occasionaly does clean the equipment for the user. Used daily in larger quantities will stop the tank working.

If a lot of people are using chemicals in a tank system it will not work properly so it needs emptying. If it is working correctly there is no smell and the tank will only need non degradable material occasionally removed from the lower part of the tank.

I was on a CL and they were defeating the cespit tanks action by tipping directly into it breaking the crust, that seals the contents in an anaerobic state for proper breakdown of the contents rather than using a pipe to feed the tank below crust level.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi we made our own DIY SOG and fitted it in about 1 hour. Cost £ 0 :thumb: just made it from bits begged borrowed and had :ROFLMAO: did not need to steal :ROFLMAO:Took a few weeks to gather the bits we did not have,while I dropped on mates who had what I wanted:thumb::ROFLMAO: but did not spend a penny on fuel wire or anything, hence costing nothing more than a cup of coffee for a mate who got me a micro switch :ROFLMAO:
terry

Attachments

• Photo-0005.jpg
    Photo-0005.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 29
  • Photo-0006.jpg
    Photo-0006.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Photo-0004.jpg
    Photo-0004.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The 2 small bay fans were replaced with a 3 1/2 inch fan- still working after about 3 yrs
terry

Attachments

• Photo-0008.jpg
    Photo-0008.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Photo-0007.jpg
    Photo-0007.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Photo-0006.jpg
    Photo-0006.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0