Common Sense Rules for Wild Camping (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Going to try our 1st wildcamp soon. Lots of talk on the forum about "common sence rules apply" well anyone who knows me will know that I have never had any common sence ::bigsmile: therefore what are these rules that one should abide too. ??

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm not a big fan of wilding in the UK but have done quite a bit in Spain and France..

First and foremost , be discrete, keep a low profile.. by that I mean, don't park up where it will annoy anyone or block their view.. ask yourself, if I were a local would I be annoyed ..?

Look for notices banning overnight parking or camping , and obey.

Don't park up with other wild campers, this will create a campsite

Don't put out awnings, windbreaks, table/chairs etc

Stay only one or perhaps two nights, if longer the 'locals' will notice which only draws unwelcome attention to you.

Don't build a camp fire.

I know it's obvious, but leave nothing behind except foot prints, take only memories..

Remember, what looks like a lovely place during the day MAY turn into something quite different after dark .. On arrival at chosen location, look out for rubbish , beer cans, used condoms... a sure sign that it will be noisy after dark.

On leaving, take not only your own rubbish but other rubbish you see laying about.. others may notice and this creates a good impression of motorhome owners.

This is only my view , others may add or disagree with it

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, here is an extract on the excellent publication "Link Removed" Sales of this book go toward the upkeep of this site. You really should have a copy.

...snip.....

The key to successful wild camping is to keep as low a profile as possible. If the Police swing by and see your "camp" is complete with deck chairs, washing line, awning and a large black sack of rubbish then they are probably going to bang on your door and ask you to move on.

Security When Wild

Security is a concern of many who wild camp and it should certainly be high on your priorities when looking for somewhere to spend the night. You may have heard stories about others that have been robbed when wild camping but please put this into perspective. When it comes to robberies, statistically, you much more likely to be a victim in your own home rather than in your motorhome. Camping in a remote country lane for a few days is no more dangerous than building a country cottage there. In fact its ‘safer, you won’t be around long enough for thieves to suss out your movements patterns etc.

My top ten tips for safe wild camping

1. Look carefully at the area, does it feel right? Is the place littered with rubbish, used condoms, skid marks, this might indicate that idiots use the place at night.
  2. Think carefully before camping anywhere that there is no mobile telephone signal. Emergencies do happen
  3. Don’t be a Nosey Parker!! Always park in such a way that you can drive away, nose out, without having to do a 7 point turn!
  4. Don't put screens (sliver screens insulation) on the outside of windows; these will impede your ability to drive away. Driving away is the very best defence for many security situations.
  5. Try to be as inconspicuous as possible, I know this can be difficult in a 25 foot long bright white motorhome however you can lower your profile; do not put awnings and deckchairs out and light that barbeque unless you are certain your actions are not going to attract attention from undesirables.
  6. Make sure when you turn in that everything is stowed, doors are locked and you are not too drunk so as you won't wake and be able to drive away if an incident occurs.
  7. Secure your entry doors. Too often people awake to find someone in their motorhome because they have forgotten to lock doors or windows. Use deadlocks that cannot be opened too easily. Some people place chains between cab doors. These can be effective, but can trap you inside in the event of a fire, if you are going to use a chain, practice undoing it so that it is so easy you can do it quickly in the dark. You might have to!
  8. Be prepared to move on. I heard about a couple on a remote French aire that didn’t like the look of a bunch of youngsters that arrived at the aire and proceeded to light a fire and drink spirits. In the early hours of the morning when the youths had run out of things to burn they amused themselves by throwing stones at the two motorhomes. They were asked to stop and things got worse, The story ended with both motorhomes leaving the aire under a barrage of stones. Don’t let this happen to you. Go with your gut feeling, if you feel at all unhappy; move on, there are literally millions of places that you can find to park. The best way to avoid risks is to walk away from them. Don’t hesitate.
  9. Do not ignore other risks, such as medical emergencies. Parking up 3 days away from civilisation can pose problems. Have a plan already worked out.
  10. Use an alarm, if you have an alarm fitted then make sure you can set it to guard the exterior whilst you are inside. So if anyone touches your lockers or bikes etc the resulting alarm should wake you and frighten off the thief. Dogs work the same way and I know of some people who do not have a dog, but place a large dog bowl just outside to give the impression that a monster of a dog is asleep inside.

Wild camping is fantastic. It can mean that yours are the only footsteps on a beach. Imagine how nice that cup of tea tastes when you are the only person seeing the early morning mist on a lake and the only sound is birdsong. With the application of the common sense tips above wild camping is no more dangerous than living in the country. It’s what motorhomes are for. Please do give it a go, there is nothing quite like it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
never forget the golden rule ...if you get bad vibes somewhere , move along

it isn't a matter of whether you are correct [ you will find you usually are ] , but even if in reality you were wrong and it would have been fine , YOU wouldn't be comfortable and at ease

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Going to try our 1st wildcamp soon. Lots of talk on the forum about "common sence rules apply" well anyone who knows me will know that I have never had any common sence ::bigsmile: therefore what are these rules that one should abide too. ??

Just go by your gut feeling, if you really are a 'grumpy old git' then you should be just fine.:thumb:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Thanks for all the info all sounds reasonable quite looking fwd to it

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think it best to step back and look through the eyes of the locals. Your actions in wild camping will always be upsetting someone. Like you I would be the first to complain if throughout the summer months motor homes were parked at the end of my street or blocking my perfect view. If you have found an idyllic place to stay then so have another 100 of your fellow travellers. Discretion is the key word, if the locals don’t notice you then you should be ok.:Cool:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
The places we have in mind are not near propertys or on roads for me wild means wild. Lol

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
to me wild camping would be on a site, that would make me really wild:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

chas

Free Member
Nov 24, 2007
west midlands
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
32 long years !
Dont forget, the next best thing to wild camping IMO, are the quiet farm CL, safe, perhaps £4 a night, with the bonus of knowing your van is not going to get vandalized while you sleep. :thumb:

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
We first wild camped a month or so back and have once again since then. Our first time was by accident as our planned night stop fell through and the one rule we stick to is :

'treat others as you would like to be treated'

It covers everything basically.

Do not let the odd scare story you may hear put you off, they are few and far between.

Our first time we was a bit wary but once settled down into our magazines/books we was just as relaxed (more) as we would be on a site.

rogerangie

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
wild camping

I agree with all that has been said and endorse every word.
If you are thinking of travelling abroad the freedom is fantastic!!
People in villages and small towns wecome you, you will spend money!!
You are a money bank to them, not a threat. It does make a difference.
But of course, they are "foreign" and mostly HAPPY.

burybobz

Free Member
Apr 15, 2010
Rock #3
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
None but working on it!
Picked up our first Motorhome on Tuesday, did our first wildcamp on Friday night in the Peak District. (And Saturday too!) Found 2 delightful spots, far from the madding crowd & was very comfortable and liberating. Apart from the drunken couple swaying back to the local campsite who screamed "Taxdodgers!" at us :ROFLMAO: it was very quiet, beautiful scenery & of course we respected the countryside by keeping our 'camp' clean.
Would definitely recommend it to anybody, and back up the advice of going with your gut instinct. Also, try to suss out the area earlier in the day, if it is a magnet for motorbikers etc. you are going to get a very noisy early alarm call! :winky:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I am a relative 'Newbie' but have been out for about 30 nights in UK and only 3 on site.

Although one needs to be aware of security, my priority, like many posters above, is not to infringe on locals.

My wild sites have been:-

On lanes at end of villages (make sure you leave room for farmer's tractor),

Entrances to farm fields, where crop cycle means farmer will not need access in next weeks.

Parking areas in small towns villages after 6pm - check with local cafe/pub.

Pub car parks, with permission in advance, - not refused on 5 occasions, but it was low-season.

Of course I have yet to try wild-camping on the Continent

However, for me I already think this will be my preferred style - the thought of having to book a site in advance and having to stick to a schedule is abhorrent to me.

[Small example:- On my boat in small island in Greece, girlfriend says "do we have to leave today?" Answer "No, this is not a ferry!" Result - Happiest 4 days of my life! ]

Tip, if you are going to visit a place, walking area etc, scout-out the possible wild-camping spots on the way, so that you can back-track there afterwards if you want.

Just go where you want, do what you wish and enjoy the freedom.

Good Travelling!

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back