Water pressure dropping (1 Viewer)

viks10

Free Member
Jan 6, 2009
Funster No
Hello
We had the van out for the weekend and when you turn the tap on the pressure is great for around 5 seconds and then goes really weak. If happens on all the taps (recently had the shower fixed due to frost damaged - lesson learned!). The pump is still running (very noisy) so we are not sure what the problem might be. If its an airlock (its not spluttering just running weak) what is the best way to flush out? Could it possilby be the pump itself even if its still running?
Any ideas would be great, we are planning alot of wild camping this year so really need higher pressure.
Thanks
Viki

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Viks

Just a wee thought that might help havs your pump been disconected as when we bought our van at 1 year old it had know was like yours quick blast then weak so thought the pump was knackered bought a new pump and wired it exactly as one i took out still the same after trying loads of different things someone suggested change the wires round as the pump was german might be reverse polarity so did this and hey presto great pressure now but would only be the cause if pump was disconnected and then wired up wrong.
Gerry

OP
OP
V

viks10

Free Member
Jan 6, 2009
Funster No
Thanks
Well, the van is a Benimar which is a Spanish manufacturer, but its on a right hand drive UK base. What wires were the ones you swapped? Will try in morning.
Viks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like a faulty pump to me.

its building up pressure slowly when the water flow has nowhere to go, ie tap closed, but not up to pumping full flow when its opened.

if the pump has a built-in filter, check that isnt partially blocked.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Viks
The pump should have 2 wires coming from it mine come through the lid they will be wired into a connection close to the tank try swapping them round as i say i tried everything even stripped all the pipes and tried sucking tap you could also try this if you can suck the water through should mean no blokages but as pappa says filter could be blocked if you have one.
Gerry

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Not a lot of info to go on but the first thing that come to mind was something in the tank that's blocking the suction pipe, have you had the tank open recently?

Doug...

OP
OP
V

viks10

Free Member
Jan 6, 2009
Funster No
Hello
Thanks everyone for advice.
I took the pump off and took the filter off it and cleaned it out. There were pieces of silicon etc. Put it back on and while off turned the screw bit at the bottom of the pump. Now I have been watching the pipe from the suction bit on the top of the tank that leads down around 2 foot to the filter and it keeps getting airbubbles in it. I put my finder on the bottom of the suction pie and it is sucking and it it full submerged in the water, yet there seems to be air getting into that pipe. Now there are 2 clips one on each end and they are not leaking. Does anyone know why there might be air bubbles in that pipe? Also not swapped cable yet, going to do that now.
Thanks
Viki

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be some air getting blown back past the pump valve into the pickup pipe.
points to a little dirt stuck in the valve seat/seal or a worn valve seal.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Check for a crack at the top of the suction tube. the tube is probably unsupported so when the tank is empty or near empty the tube can vibrate and crack it.

Doug...

OP
OP
V

viks10

Free Member
Jan 6, 2009
Funster No
Thanks to everyone, problem solved.
After finding small amounts of silicon in the filter, I investiged further by bypassing the tank and upward suction tube and connected a hose directly to the filter and put the other end in bucket - all taps worked perfectly so therefore the prob was with the upward suction, took it out and found it was blocked after using various pieces of wire etc I just jammed the bottom end of the tube in the outside water tap hose and blasted mains pressure through it - a 3 inch piece of silicon burst through after 10 secs, fitted it all back together and hey presto - running water again!
They had sealed the 2 top caps on the water tank with silicon and some has obviously dropped in the tank and worked its way up the tube - why they would do that is beyond my belief but anyway had a good day working out how my vans water works and now if the pump ever goes, I will be able to replace it in 10 mins
Thanks again and hopefully this might help someone in the same position.
Viks

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Thanks to everyone, problem solved.
After finding small amounts of silicon in the filter, I investiged further by bypassing the tank and upward suction tube and connected a hose directly to the filter and put the other end in bucket - all taps worked perfectly so therefore the prob was with the upward suction, took it out and found it was blocked after using various pieces of wire etc I just jammed the bottom end of the tube in the outside water tap hose and blasted mains pressure through it - a 3 inch piece of silicon burst through after 10 secs, fitted it all back together and hey presto - running water again!
They had sealed the 2 top caps on the water tank with silicon and some has obviously dropped in the tank and worked its way up the tube - why they would do that is beyond my belief but anyway had a good day working out how my vans water works and now if the pump ever goes, I will be able to replace it in 10 mins
Thanks again and hopefully this might help someone in the same position.
Viks

OK, well done, but bear in mind if you were getting air in the system you still have a lose/broken joint or attachment of some kind down stream of the pump, the air may have stopped now as there is not such a strong suction on the pipe back to the tank.

If air can get in then water can get out.

Good luck.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back