Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi ,My wife and I have just retired and about to buy our 1st MoHo (newbie)...My situation is, we're selling or house and moving in with my sister (no Choice)..we want to go full time touring , I am 62 and have been told Comfort is the only company that will cover us for full time touring,,are there any full timers my age, that can advise me on how much this will cost....and is it best to phone or do it online,, I would be forever grateful for your help, ....please don't be negative , this is our dream and will not change our minds,,Kind regards Paul & Pippa..

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think it best to phone and ask. I’m with Comfort (not full time though) and I found them helpful on the phone. Certainly cheaper than my renewal with Caravan and Motorhome club.

So many variables for insurance than one persons quote may not be yours.

Have you found your MH yet? That may not be able to quote until then unless you use one you can find for sale as an example.

Good luck and please do not perceive any comments as negative. Most funsters just want to pass on their experience and make sure you are as well informed as you can be. Don’t forget we don’t always know your personal circumstances so, for example, when advising not to sell house, we cannot know if that is even a possibility. You have just explained above that it is not.

We will look forward to following your adventures :)

Reactions: SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Hi Paul and Pippa, I've been full-timing for the last five years and I have been insured by Comfort during this time. I'm a bit younger than yourselves at 55 years of age but it might give you a bit of an idea, it costs me just under £1000 a year for a moho that was valued at just under £40,000 when I first took the insurance out. It hasn't increased much since then, I should add that I pay extra for the satellite dish as it has internet access so was quite expensive. I arranged it initially over the phone. Hope this helps and you realise your dream, I've loved it to be honest and can't imagine settling down in one place in the near future (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Wasn’t there a long thread not so long ago about full time Insurance?

I think @BreweryDave had a good look into best deals?

Maybe a search would bring up some help (y)

Good luck and check out the small print.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Wasn’t there a long thread not so long ago about full time Insurance?

I think @BreweryDave had a good look into best deals?

Maybe a search would bring up some help (y)

Good luck and check out the small print.
I don’t know about “not so long ago”but this was his post 3 years ago

This'll make you laugh/cry/sit down/ jump up and down/scream/etc!!!

I just got a quote from Comfort for my (proposed) new van - a brand new Dethleffs Globetrotter with a book value of £130k and with top alarm/immobiliser/tracker etc and full time.
The standard Aviva FT policy.
Restricted mileage (6000) £3256o_O
Unlimited mileage £4746 :eek:

....might have to have a serious rethink - nearly 5K per year insurance is taking the pee to a whole new level!!!:unsure:

But on the same thread he says he pays £800 for the full time aviva policy on an older MH worth £25K

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Yup. Cheap it ain't. But the only official full time policy is with aviva (horizon plus) available through Comfort and I believe maybe aib too.
I'm currently paying £1548 on a 70k van, unlimited mileage unlimited eu cover and breakdown and recovery throughout Europe. This is with no other fixed abode.
There are options if you are living with family BUT you have to be able to prove it with utility bills etc if asked.
Also there is a condition of age of van, can't remember but I think it may be 15 years so the cover isn't available on an oldie but check first!
Full time and long term touring are completely different.

Last edited:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
You say you are moving in with your sister. If you can genuinely say that will be your address and is where you would return to when not touring, you may not need “full time” insurance. If you explain the situation truthfully to a broker, they would be able to advise.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Comfort Insurance Long Term Touring .. or Full Timing ?

1. Long term Touring and Full Timing

Use of your motorhome for nine months or more (whether as a single trip or a series of trips) in any one year will be treated (and rated) as long-term touring. If, in addition, you sell or let your UK property you will be treated (and rated) as full-timing. Please refer to the policy conditions on Page 34 for more details.

LONG TERM TOURING & FULL TIMING

Please be aware that this quotation (or renewal) is subject to the following conditions:

Loss or damage arising from theft while the ignition keys of your Motorhome have been left in or on your vehicle. (See Section 1)
    Loss of use, reduction in value, wear and tear, or mechanical, electrical or computer breakdowns, failures or breakages. (See Section 1) Loss of value following a repair. (See Section 1)
    Confiscation or requisition or destruction by or under order of any government or public or local authority. (See Section 1)
    The maximum amount that will be paid out for damage to a third party 's property will be £20,000,000. (See Section 2)
    You will need to advise us if the vehicle is to be stored for over 48 hours at a location other than the one noted on your Statement of Fact and Schedule. See policy conditions and section I of the policy for full details

We will not pay for any accident, injury, loss or damage that occurs while your car is being used for a purpose not shown under the "Description of use" section of your Certificate of Insurance or while it is being driven by any person not described in your Certificate of Insurance as being entitled to drive.

full-timing rate has been agreed and paid.

Proposers must maintain a full UK residence, either through ownership or long term rental agreement (of at least 9 months) unless a

also the one that appears on the driving licence and vehicle documentation.

This address must be the one at which the proposer is on the electoral roll, (unless a full-timing rate has been agreed and paid) and

fund licence.

The motor caravan must at all times have a valid MOT certificate (unless not required due to age of vehicle) & current UK road

Should the insurers request a copy of a utility bill as evidence of residence at the address at any time, (inception, mid-term, renewal, at time of claim) then one must be provided. This is due to our records being subject to random audit by the insurers.

https://2s48jvfpl1l3jrkp72d55xu1-wp...-Motorhome-Insurance-Policy-25th-May-2018.pdf

https://2s48jvfpl1l3jrkp72d55xu1-wp...ontent/uploads/2018/05/Horizon-Keyfacts-1.pdf

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Aib in southampton also do a fulltiming policy underwritten by aviva same as comfort.
@hoot007 also found another company that do fulltiming.

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
I am with Safeguard, I have 365 days cover, I MOT at home obviously.

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think it best to phone and ask. I’m with Comfort (not full time though) and I found them helpful on the phone. Certainly cheaper than my renewal with Caravan and Motorhome club.

So many variables for insurance than one persons quote may not be yours.

Have you found your MH yet? That may not be able to quote until then unless you use one you can find for sale as an example.

Good luck and please do not perceive any comments as negative. Most funsters just want to pass on their experience and make sure you are as well informed as you can be. Don’t forget we don’t always know your personal circumstances so, for example, when advising not to sell house, we cannot know if that is even a possibility. You have just explained above that it is not.

We will look forward to following your adventures :)
Hi Riverankannie, my wife and I were full time carers for my mother, unfortunately my mother passed away recently, it was always our intention to full time when we retired, so we have to now sell the house as it was left to my brother and sister as well , I have just received probate and so I can sell the house. We will be buying a MH with the money, about £36,000 tops somewhere near July....thank you for your help

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Paul and Pippa, I've been full-timing for the last five years and I have been insured by Comfort during this time. I'm a bit younger than yourselves at 55 years of age but it might give you a bit of an idea, it costs me just under £1000 a year for a moho that was valued at just under £40,000 when I first took the insurance out. It hasn't increased much since then, I should add that I pay extra for the satellite dish as it has internet access so was quite expensive. I arranged it initially over the phone. Hope this helps and you realise your dream, I've loved it to be honest and can't imagine settling down in one place in the near future (y)
Hi thank you for your reply, didn't know you have to pay extra for satellite dish with internet access, my MH will be about £36,000 so you have given us a benchmark to work off ....thank you for your help , really appreciate it..

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yup. Cheap it ain't. But the only official full time policy is with aviva (horizon plus) available through Comfort and I believe maybe aib too.
I'm currently paying £1548 on a 70k van, unlimited mileage unlimited eu cover and breakdown and recovery throughout Europe. This is with no other fixed abode.
There are options if you are living with family BUT you have to be able to prove it with utility bills etc if asked.
Also there is a condition of age of van, can't remember but I think it may be 15 years so the cover isn't available on an oldie but check first!
Full time and long term touring are completely different.
thank you

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Comfort Insurance Long Term Touring .. or Full Timing ?

1. Long term Touring and Full Timing

Use of your motorhome for nine months or more (whether as a single trip or a series of trips) in any one year will be treated (and rated) as long-term touring. If, in addition, you sell or let your UK property you will be treated (and rated) as full-timing. Please refer to the policy conditions on Page 34 for more details.

LONG TERM TOURING & FULL TIMING

Please be aware that this quotation (or renewal) is subject to the following conditions:

Loss or damage arising from theft while the ignition keys of your Motorhome have been left in or on your vehicle. (See Section 1)
    Loss of use, reduction in value, wear and tear, or mechanical, electrical or computer breakdowns, failures or breakages. (See Section 1) Loss of value following a repair. (See Section 1)
    Confiscation or requisition or destruction by or under order of any government or public or local authority. (See Section 1)
    The maximum amount that will be paid out for damage to a third party 's property will be £20,000,000. (See Section 2)
    You will need to advise us if the vehicle is to be stored for over 48 hours at a location other than the one noted on your Statement of Fact and Schedule. See policy conditions and section I of the policy for full details

We will not pay for any accident, injury, loss or damage that occurs while your car is being used for a purpose not shown under the "Description of use" section of your Certificate of Insurance or while it is being driven by any person not described in your Certificate of Insurance as being entitled to drive.

full-timing rate has been agreed and paid.

Proposers must maintain a full UK residence, either through ownership or long term rental agreement (of at least 9 months) unless a

also the one that appears on the driving licence and vehicle documentation.

This address must be the one at which the proposer is on the electoral roll, (unless a full-timing rate has been agreed and paid) and

fund licence.

The motor caravan must at all times have a valid MOT certificate (unless not required due to age of vehicle) & current UK road

Should the insurers request a copy of a utility bill as evidence of residence at the address at any time, (inception, mid-term, renewal, at time of claim) then one must be provided. This is due to our records being subject to random audit by the insurers.

https://2s48jvfpl1l3jrkp72d55xu1-wp...-Motorhome-Insurance-Policy-25th-May-2018.pdf

https://2s48jvfpl1l3jrkp72d55xu1-wp...ontent/uploads/2018/05/Horizon-Keyfacts-1.pdf
Thank you ,,very helpful

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi Riverankannie, my wife and I were full time carers for my mother, unfortunately my mother passed away recently, it was always our intention to full time when we retired, so we have to now sell the house as it was left to my brother and sister as well , I have just received probate and so I can sell the house. We will be buying a MH with the money, about £36,000 tops somewhere near July....thank you for your help
So sorry for your loss. It must be a difficult time tinged with excitement and anticipation at a new chapter in your life.

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all ,,I have taken your advice and decided to email Comfort insurance with my above post, they phoned and asked if they could help, I asked them if they could help me before I purchased a MoHo ..with the following,,,I'm 62 and want to buy a MoHo to go Full timing and are looking to purchase a MH for approx. £36,000 ..I was told I need an address to register the MH and for the V5 and the MoHo is not older than 2005, they do Full Time policy's starting at £1,000 ....Thank you all for your help and I will be joining you within the next few months...living our dream...I hope this will help any more newbies

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
So sorry for your loss. It must be a difficult time tinged with excitement and anticipation at a new chapter in your life.
Thank you , you are right , we are excited and know it will not be easy , we will be naming our MoHo "Betty"....my Mothers name ....and yes, I'm writing this with tears in my eyes ,,,,

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Love why you've picked the name "Betty" hope you have lots of great adventures.

Simon Richardson

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
East bound & down.
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
Full timing since Dec 2017
We full time and have a full time policy with Comfort - I can't remember how much without digging out the paperwork, but it's around £1,400.00 per annum. We have a 2017 Carthago C Tourer.

Had to have a Windscreen chip repaired after some knob in a Merc over took me on the North 500 and threw a stone at my screen - they were excellent at sorting it via Auto Glass and no glass excess either.

Not sure what I'll do come renewal time as it is a lot of money each year.

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
We full time and have a full time policy with Comfort - I can't remember how much without digging out the paperwork, but it's around £1,400.00 per annum. We have a 2017 Carthago C Tourer.

Had to have a Windscreen chip repaired after some knob in a Merc over took me on the North 500 and threw a stone at my screen - they were excellent at sorting it via Auto Glass and no glass excess either.

Not sure what I'll do come renewal time as it is a lot of money each year.
It is a lot but I look on it as how much council tax, water rates etc.etc we have to pay...we will be able to wake up at a different view every day if we wish..go abroad in winter...we MoHo's have the biggest garden in the world lol

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Hi thank you for your reply, didn't know you have to pay extra for satellite dish with internet access, my MH will be about £36,000 so you have given us a benchmark to work off ....thank you for your help , really appreciate it..
To be honest I wouldn't recommend getting an internet-enabled satellite dish, I cancelled my contract as it became expensive and you also have the hassle of choosing a pitch with line of sight which can be hard on the campsites with lots of trees! I use a mifi instead plus my phone is still working in Europe even though I've been abroad since September so if you get a reasonable pay monthly contract simcard for your phone that should sort you for internet and calling home. I should have mentioned that I'm limited to 10,000 miles a year on my policy but it includes breakdown, also if you have a reversing camera you get a discount, hope this helps :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
To be honest I wouldn't recommend getting an internet-enabled satellite dish, I cancelled my contract as it became expensive and you also have the hassle of choosing a pitch with line of sight which can be hard on the campsites with lots of trees! I use a mifi instead plus my phone is still working in Europe even though I've been abroad since September so if you get a reasonable pay monthly contract simcard for your phone that should sort you for internet and calling home. I should have mentioned that I'm limited to 10,000 miles a year on my policy but it includes breakdown, also if you have a reversing camera you get a discount, hope this helps :)
yes that's helped, I'm a newbie and all information is helpful..Thank you

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back