bonny scotland (1 Viewer)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
were of in the morning heading for scotland to far for us in one go so looking for stopping point north of manchester not to far from the m6 also need some advice on galloway forest area of scotland is there anything we should go and see whilst were there ?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Turn off at J36, head through Kendal for A6 Shap. The road over Shap Fell is a good drive and there are a few suitable lay-bys for an overnight. One in particular is around a mile North of the town on the right. There's a huge layby on Shap Summit too. Rejoin the motorway at J39 around 2 miles before Shap. Weather in Scotland at the moment is brilliant - we've stayed at Castle Douglas, Blair Drummond, and currently Scone. We've had one brief and heavy shower (thunderstorm) in two weeks. We're headed for Berwick on Tweed at the weekend.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Mitzimad I don't have a great deal of time as I'm currently in holiday, I'm sure @ambulancekidd will help you with Galloway forest.

If you want wildcamping then try a stop at Glencaple they have two Aire style places you can stay for a small donation.

In the Forest area you can drive to Clatteringshaws visitor center and either park there or drive a couple of miles further and use the top car park at the red dear center, that's the second one coming from Clatteringshaws. Loads of other places just be sensible and no one will bother you.

Towns I'd recommend are the following.
Portpatrick you can stay the night in either car park or use one of the local sites, castle view has easy access to the village.

Garlieston has a CC site and a CCC CS so if your members of either you have a choice, nice little village with friendly pub and lovely walks.

Wigtown is worth a visit as its the book town of Scotland, people actually pay to run one of the bookshops as their holiday :)

Castle Douglas is the food town of Scotland and the council have a site just on edge of town next to Carlingwark loch, it's a basic site but great location.

Sorry that's all I have the time for I'm sure others will come along and help.
Have a great trip and see you in Dumfries

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
thanks for taking the time during your holiday lorger

Please feel free to ask if you need any further information.
Gerry @lorger has pretty well covered the area, but I'm sure that you'll enjoy it & the weather has been beautiful for weeks, I think there's to be some rain this weekend, but there are so many charming villages & towns to visit that you wont be stuck for things to do.

If you fancy a stop on a commercial site I'd give Brighouse Bay a try, but your by no means obliged to use a site.

Stinchar Falls is particularly pretty & the car park is a wonderful place to wild camp. Glen Trool is picturesque & the visitors centre is pleasant, but beware of weight restrictions on the surrounding bridges.

Oh & don't forget your midge repellent, they're at the top of their biting game just now. Have a browse around this forum for midge advice, trust me it'll make your visit all the sweeter, above all, enjoy yourselves.

Robert.

OP
OP
mitzimad
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
Well we didn't get as far as Kendal were currently at the helwith bridge inn in North Yorkshire awaiting our dinner Nice clear run up although we stayed on the m1 as m6 was billed as being slow moving. Bradford is an eye opener ,washing in the front gardens?not the most picturesque bit of yorkshire

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just enjoy the peace and quiet of the Galloway forest. Glentrool is really nice as well, visit Bruce's Stone. Have a lovely trip.

OP
OP
mitzimad
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
Currently at glencaplewatching the tide roll in beautiful spot and near a bar surrounded by two other funsters earlier a guy pulled up on a motorbike and he was a funster in fact he sold his old van to Paul haggers small world

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Steve
Hope you’re both well.
We’re off to Scotland for 2 weeks at the end of the month so I’ll keep an eye on the thread, have a good trip.
Dave

OP
OP
mitzimad
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
Haven't moved far it's to nicewent down the rd to the second sure to ďump and fill walk to the castle and then back to glencaple weather is amazing
About three years ago I bought a small fishing rod from the Chinese bazaar is at I tried a bit of spinning with a small lure and foul hooked a dead flat fish third time I've put the rod in water and thanks to a dead fatty it's never failed to pull a fish out the first to were both u see an once each so I'm improving
Tomorrow the plan is boot sale in dunfries then a wander along the coast

OP
OP
mitzimad
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
Boot sale was fine but nothing we wantedhave been to john paul jones cottage and learned how he helped found the american navy during the war of independence
Gone onto a site now at Sandy hills bay first bit of sand we've seen only someway mud up till now sea is out further than you can see
Weather still good

OP
OP
mitzimad
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
Been internet deficent for the last few days .WE have now bee introduced to the wee beasties they are horrendous we wound up having to cling film the vets to keep the buggers out we wilded near the deer range which was shut at the murrey cottage where the pathway was also shut .I've never seen so many insects in one place I turned the lights on in the dark and it was like a blizzard of critters
We survived the night thanks to cling film , fly spray and Avon skin soft
Next morning we headed to kirroughtree visitors center for a 4 k walk round the forest the a long drive to portpatrick for an over priced but lovely snack we then headed South and overnighted at the lighthouse which is the most southerly point of scotland on the mull of galloway
Had a walk round the headland but found we were to late to visit the exhibition sent a very windy night there
This morning she decided that the museum wasn't for her so I walked up for a look alone most of it was the equipment for the fog horn amazing how much it took to blow a horn
Three identical 2 cylinder engine built in 1947 petrol start diesels two in use and one standby ,each running a compressor 4 huge air vessels all been restored to running order but no longer used
Wound up in kircudright this evening and decided to eat out lovely meal scallops en route starter and belly of pork main very nice with a bottle of wine and two Irish coffers back in van now hunkered down for storm sector thunder and lightning and torrential rain car park is awash

OP
OP
mitzimad
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
Glencaple this morning to dump and fill then the savings bank rothwell Aldi for suppliesand now back at glencaple for the night

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back