Garmin Liftime Map Updates (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Not had an update since the New Year on European maps, my version is 2018.20. Garmin express shows no update available. I have queried this with Garmin but was told that I have the latest version. Anyone got a more recent update?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Mine is on 2018.30. I updated it a few weeks ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
It depends on what unit you are using, my Zumo 660 has updates much later then my wifes Nuvi, my 660 is running 2018.20 where as the Nuvi is on 2018.30.

I check Garmin Express daily for updates, there are none at the moment..

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It depends on what unit you are using, my Zumo 660 has updates much later then my wifes Nuvi, my 660 is running 2018.20 where as the Nuvi is on 2018.30.

I check Garmin Express daily for updates, there are none at the moment..
That looks like the Nüvi on a later version than the Zumo as surely .3 later than .2?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
That looks like the Nüvi on a later version than the Zumo as surely .3 later than .2?
Yes that is correct Annie, they run different 'systems' to each other. (Can't remember the correct terminology).

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We have a Garmin Nüvi 3895 with free lifetime updates. However, whenever I try to update, Garmin Express won't connect to the Nuvi unless I delete all user data. This is very annoying as we like to retain certain routes, campsites etc.
Garmin are totally unhelpful telling me to connnect to Garmin Express and delete an xml file. You then tell them that if you could connect to Garmin Express to to that, there would be no problem connecting! So I'll have to delete all my user data gain, next time there's an update. This is now my second Garmin and don't think I'll fall for their BS about "lifetime" free updates.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have a Garmin Nüvi 3895 with free lifetime updates. However, whenever I try to update, Garmin Express won't connect to the Nuvi unless I delete all user data. This is very annoying as we like to retain certain routes, campsites etc.
Garmin are totally unhelpful telling me to connnect to Garmin Express and delete an xml file. You then tell them that if you could connect to Garmin Express to to that, there would be no problem connecting! So I'll have to delete all my user data gain, next time there's an update. This is now my second Garmin and don't think I'll fall for their BS about "lifetime" free updates.
There are conditions to the lifetime too. One of them is you doing regular map updates, if not, they deem the unit to be not actively used and the “lifetime” finished!
There is a backup user data option in Express so presumably you can restore from that after the map update.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
There are conditions to the lifetime too.
I think lifetime updates is limited to 4 updates a year...
I havent updated mine for a good few months but when i had a look last night there was only a software update available...
Ill check tonight and see what version of maps is installed
Andy.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
How much are updates if you don't have free updates?

OP
OP
quickweh
Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Just a note that I used to get a notification from Garmin that an update was available but they seem to have stopped. My Nuvi is a 2013 model so are Garmin regarding it as at the end of it's life?(n)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Yes that is correct Annie, they run different 'systems' to each other. (Can't remember the correct terminology).
It looks like same map system

*nüMaps Guarantee available for all Garmin nüvi and zūmo sat navs. Guarantee applies to one covered Garmin product. Not transferable to any other person or product. You will qualify for the free map update(s) only if you register your product online at http://my.garmin.com either (i) prior to first using your device, or (ii) within 90 days of first acquiring satellites while driving with your device (the "First Satellite Fix"). If you qualify under one of these two conditions, then you will be entitled to receive one or more free map update during the 90-day period following the date you registered the product or the First Satellite Fix date, whichever is earlier, if and when map updates are available for purchase on Garmin's website during such period. You will not qualify for free map updates if you register your product with Garmin by telephone or more than 90 days after the First Satellite Fix.

I think lifetime updates is limited to 4 updates a year...
I havent updated mine for a good few months but when i had a look last night there was only a software update available...
Ill check tonight and see what version of maps is installed
Andy.

I just do mine once a year

How much are updates if you don't have free updates?
Not sure about buying an update but new map £75. I got my Garmin when I couldn’t update my Tom Tom as not enough space on only second update.

A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more. Unless otherwise stated, the updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same geographic area included with your Garmin product when originally purchased. Third party content providers may change. In some instances, your Garmin product might not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the map data, in which case you will need to either (a) select reduced map data coverage for your updates, or (b) purchase separately a microSD™/SD™ card (if and as applicable to your Garmin product) and load all or a portion of the map data coverage for your updates to the card and insert the card into the microSD/SD card slot contained in your Garmin product. If neither of the measutres in (a) or (b) can be used to address your product’s lack of sufficient remaining memory, then Garmin may conclude that the “useful life” of your product has expired. Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this agreement or your subscription. Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription may not be transferred to another Garmin product.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@Riverbankannie-thanks for the heads-up on the option to back up user data. Have backed up so it may be be the case that I can add back data previously deleted.
The last update was only firmware and not maps so far as I know.
So “lifetime” is that of my pet goldfish!?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I last updated mine in 2010......

Makes interesting trips.....you get to see how France and Spain have built so many bypasses, viaducts, bridges, roundabouts ....not much here though

Can get a bit monotonous hearing 'recalculating, recalculating' with me shouting 'shut up' at her - not her fault

Keeps me occupied...

Yesterday 'she' activated my new parrot bluetooth and dialed my brother in law by accident..trying to deal with that and 'her' keep repeating 'recalculating'...:doh:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My Garmin has the latest map update but I wish it really was up to date. :) It knew nothing about some one way streets in a small Portuguese town earlier this week and previous to that I found we were driving on a road which according to Garmin didn't exist.
But it all adds to the thrill of exploring a country so I'm not complaining. :)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, nothing like watching the Moho icon moving across a field and the satnav (Stella in our case) blathering "rejoin the road, rejoin the road, rejoin the road, rejoin the road, Goddammitt!"

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
It looks like same map system.
'System' is probably the wrong word, the maps have a designation, 'NT' or 'NTU', I can't remember which, but the older Zumo 660 has two updates a year, and the newer Nuvi has four, either way I always have to wait awhile to update my Zumo..

Just checked Garmin Express and there is an update to 2019.10 for the Nuvi.. so I'll have to wait for my Zumo update.

It's also worth adding that Garmin Express itself has regular updates too, the current version is 6.5.0.0.

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As @Les W says 2019.10 is just out.(y)
Both my 760 Camper (2016) and 2460LMT (2011) have been running 2018.30 since around end February.(y)
As an aside, be very wary if you use BaseCamp as the latest release (4.7.0) removes a fair bit of functionality, including Google Earth.(n)

OP
OP
quickweh
Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Still no joy from Garmin, I have contacted them both by phone and e mail 3 times and get a different story from each. Still got my 2018.20 maps, latest advice is that 2019.10 is being rolled out, NTU maps have more updates than NT per year. They no longer offer e mail update notifications for map updates. I still like it for accurate speed info. and safety camera alerts. The mapping is a joke at times M62/M57 junction still shows a traffic island and no slip road from M62 to M57, likewise the end of the M57 is still a traffic island on Garmin maps. The routing software is also full of gliches taking you off a motorway and back onto it for no apparent reason. I have had this on two Garmin devices for M5 junction 4 southbound for over 10 years. Time for a smartphone app I think with speedo and camera alerts. I find using Google maps for navigation and the Nuvi for speed and cameras works well but a single device would be better, any advice would be welcome, thanks.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
My Dezl 560 truck model is from 2012. Last week I got a map update to 2019.10.
I guess Garmin no longer send out emails since, on a Mac, the Express program automatically flags a notification when an update is available. It’s part of the Apple OS X system. Presumably something similar happens on a Windows pc?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a 770 let-d it updates itself so I don’t bother with express.

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
My Garmin has the latest map update but I wish it really was up to date....

...latest advice is that 2019.10 is being rolled out...

Just before my latest trip, from which I have just returned, I updated my Garmin. It now has 2019.10. Or could that be 1919.10?

As @DBK says, I really wish they were up to date! Even something in the region of "correct" would be acceptable. A few examples...

Just before entering a tunnel in Austria, I got the message "in 1,5km, turn right." A wee bit difficult in a 14km tunnel with no junctions…:D

Distances to turns, especially in Switzerland were up to 4 or 500 metres wrong... (Not wise to go through barriers to turn off a mountain pass). :D

It doesnt know where I need to drive to get home…

Its time Garmin got their act together. My advice, dont update. The old one, faulty as it is doesnt have as many mistakes as the new!

Reactions: DBK
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Ahh Garmin.... Approaching the Dartford crossing from the south told me that there was a width restriction and therefore I couldn't continue. As many large trucks were thundering down the lane I decided to continue anyway.. Through the tunnel no probs, (always a concern when 2.7m wide and 3.5m high...) . At exit from the tunnel warned me of further width restrictions on the M25 and I should immediately divert... Decided that was a lie too, which it was. Then just yesterday it suckered me again, (when I should know better) and routed me off the Queensferry Crossing via the notorious Barnton roundabout (signposted to Edinburgh) instead of continuing round the A90 to the A720 City bypass. (The Barnton junction requires a right turn on a traffic light that lets three vehicles through every 4 or 5 minutes from a lane of many suckers like me who had forgotten the mantra " Follow the Glasgow signs, Follow the Glasgow signs...):mad:. Doesn't someone somewhere make a GPS that (a) has proper width/height/weight settings. AND (b) has a decent set of route mapping software??? Garmin Extra is execrable... But then I used to use Garmin navigating GPS systems at sea and they weren't much better...

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Then just yesterday it suckered me again, (when I should know better) and routed me off the Queensferry Crossing via the notorious Barnton roundabout (signposted to Edinburgh) instead of continuing round the A90 to the A720 City bypass. (The Barnton junction requires a right turn on a traffic light that lets three vehicles through every 4 or 5 minutes from a lane of many suckers like me who had forgotten the mantra " Follow the Glasgow signs, Follow the Glasgow signs...):mad:.
Not sure where you were heading but our 760 Camper takes us off the Queensferry Crossing onto M90\M9\mate\A720 City by-pass.(y)

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Did my 760 last night. At first it said no update available. I clicked on other updates and the maps update appeared!

OP
OP
quickweh
Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Finally got the 2019.10 map update which may be a little better. The routing software is a joke still on my local motorway junctions. I tend to stick to A and B roads until close to destination.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Not sure where you were heading but our 760 Camper takes us off the Queensferry Crossing onto M90\M9\mate\A720 City by-pass.(y)
Glad yours does, my 760 has a 'thing' about that Barnton junction as being a 'quicker' route... It also thinks heading up from Sussex to Cambridge that the Blackwall tunnel is a better route than the Dartford Crossing... Maybe its because its from Germany.. came with the van...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back