Air suspension is there much difference in the ride , and any one fit then in Scotland (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have a Mercedes chassis and for reasons I don’t really understand we could only have rear air fitted

The front end still crashes through potholes and the MH rocks around on uneven ground

Probably just ours though :LOL:

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
thought that the air suspension would help that part and take some of the strain off it
Adding air assist certainly will help if you are in the position of feeling that the rear springs are only just up to the job, but if, like on our previous Swift Bessacarr, the springs were too stiff to start with, it may make it worse.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
We have a Mercedes chassis and for reasons I don’t really understand we could only have rear air fitted

The front end still crashes through potholes and the MH rocks around on uneven ground

Probably just ours though :LOL:

I do believe the OP is asking about Air Assisters to the suspension rather than Air Suspension which is a totally different beast altogether.

I fitted air assisters to a friend's van whilst it was parked next to the beach in Cabanas (Eastern Algarve) several years ago... very easy job.

Also had them fitted to my Black Beauty Beast of an Iveco self build by the best garage in Britain.

The difference they made to the ride was PHENOMENAL and I thoroughly recommend them.

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Had VB Air suspension fitted on my last motorhome Burstner. Had it fitted at Turriff Caravans just above Aberdeen. They even let me camp in their yard with electric FOC for 2 nights. Really clean job, recommended.
+1 for VB from Turriff Caravans. Had basic kit fitted last week to Autotrail 634 approx 7.5m long but haven't had a chance to really try it out yet.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
+1 for VB from Turriff Caravans. Had basic kit fitted last week to Autotrail 634 approx 7.5m long but haven't had a chance to really try it out yet.
Yet yourself out there and find some potholes!!!! :D2

OP
OP
Trout bum

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Hi guys. Think I've opened the proverbial can of worms I'm asking about auxiliary air suspension for the rear of my motorhome the type where you take out the bump stops and replace them with air cushions that you can either blow them up to pressure using an built on compressor or from the garage forecourt or a foot pump which is the kind I'm looking at sorry for any confusion the kit price to purchase is approx £250-£350. Or fitted for £500, not the full bodies air suspension at £3-4K , sorry for any confusion

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No confusion here Trouty ... its just that some members like to show off about their ability to raise and lower at will with very little effort whereas some of us like it more manual! :D

OP
OP
Trout bum

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Love it Mindy girl I know where your coming from and I agree with you

OP
OP
Trout bum

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Minxy girl sorry predictive texting lol

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Charlie Farley

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Powys
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I7150
Exp
I went the route of goldschmit front springs(travelword telford)and glide rite rear air (Liphook Hampshire) excellent service on both occasions, it’s transformed the ride and I’ve uplated to 4750kg the looser was the dentist

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
We have Goldschmitt on the front, night and day difference from the standard Fiat springs and never even considered doing anything with the front when we had rear air assist fitted.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have Goldschmitt on the front, night and day difference from the standard Fiat springs and never even considered doing anything with the front when we had rear air assist fitted.
We have Goldschmidt on the front, crashes and bangs over every pot hole. Can't compare with standard springs as Goldschmidt has been standard fit on every Hymer we have had. Previous vans were fine but this one the ride is awful but this is the first van we have had with the heavy chassis. It's fine on good roads handling is great just rough roads and potholes it's a bone shaker.

Last edited:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I went down the route of Goldschmitt front springs some years ago on my 2007 B544SL, definite improvement as I think my original springs were getting tired, front raised about 60mm from memory and more compliant on potholes etc. Last year, having read good reports of VB full air I took the plunge and had it fitted by SAP in Doncaster. Wish I had done it years ago!

Recently returned from our usual drive to Spain and found it much more relaxing to drive, much smoother, no deviation when passing HGV’s, side winds less of an issue and no crashing over potholes. No lowering of the rear when loading wine in Calais.(y)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have full air and the difference is very noticeable.
I left a number of things out at the side of the sink including a tall pump soap bottle (by mistake). We drove home from Peterborough and they were all still stood there when we got home. We were amazed.

OP
OP
Trout bum

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Sorry folks but your going way off tangent with original request I'm not interested in full air suspension just rear air assist nothing more I was only enquiringly if anyone has had it fitted and what they thought of it that's all

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Sorry folks but your going way off tangent with original request I'm not interested in full air suspension just rear air assist nothing more I was only enquiringly if anyone has had it fitted and what they thought of it that's all
Like I said earlier, VB comfort fitted on the rear of my Burstner. Twin gauges and a little compressor fitted under the drivers seat to adjust it. Turriff Caravans.

OP
OP
Trout bum

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Cheers Dan & Jan I will have a look at there site sounds exactly same as what I'm looking for

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
What a Motorhome Fun thread going off topic no never.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

All part of the fun and games on here.:)
Probably wouldn't have gone so far off if you had said what chassis you had at the start.

OP
OP
Trout bum

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Fiat camper chassis was mentioned 4-5 messages from original all over the top full suspension ideas were after that

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What a Motorhome Fun thread going off topic no never.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

All part of the fun and games on here.:)
Probably wouldn't have gone so far off if you had said what chassis you had at the start.
Errrrr ... he did ... :D

Thanks for all the info the chassis on my Adria is the Fiat camper one

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
On our Alko chassis with 2000kg rear axle it has made a useful improvement but we were on the limit of the 2000kg. We have less swaying and the rear suspension, now being assisted appears to work much better, no crashing and banging, it also used to squeak and that has stopped.
On our previous motorhome we had overly hard, less forgiving leaf springs, I think they were too stiff for the vehicle and don’t think we would have noticed any change, unless we’d fitted softer leaf springs. I think it’s down to if your current set up needs assistance or not, like sitting low or crashing over bumps.
Thumbs up for AS Suspension in Warrington that did ours.

I have the Alko AMC35L light chassis with a 2000 kg rear axle limit (Hymer Exsis t 588 - plated at 3500kg allegedly but that's another story) @Hettie's Crew did rear air assist give you an upgraded axle rating as a result, what to and which system did you go for? I am only just realising, like @Lenny HB that an Exsis 588 and presumably other similar layouts with twin beds and big garage puts all it's weight on the rear axle. Worse still with a towbar and unlike our previous front lounge Autotrail Tracker you can't shift any heavy stuff forward. So now we are running closer to the 2000 kg rear axle limit than I ever anticipated and that's before I try the motorbike trailer with some noseweight. I thought we hadn't gone overboard with options but in hindsight we could have probably done without a GRP roof and large rooflight in the bedroom!

We like the narrow width of the Exsis, especially with medium arm mirrors and want to keep below 3500 kgs if possible but it looks like rear air assist might have to be the way forward. Otherwise stressing about being overloaded takes the fun out of motorhoming, especially if you can't run with a reasonable amount of water.

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
We chose the AS Suspension system from Warrington, great people to deal with.
We also included the pump and have used it on a couple of occasions to prevent the rear end grounding on ramps etc. Think it was £1750 but about to go up in price at the time. We chose AS because it is lighter and cheaper than the VB equivalent.
We also fitted 225/70 15 tyres with 112 index rating. Together this gave us an upgrade to 2240kg on the rear axle. We were 1970kg, rear, at the weigh bridge before the upgrade, not been weighed since.
We used SV Tech and upgraded to 3850kg total, with 2240 rear, and 1950 front (we have Goldshmitt front springs)
We also have the AMC35L chassis on our 2014 B544.
The combination of the tyres and air assistance makes the rear more comfortable and more controlled. Our rear axle was always on its limit and felt like it was, though the rear end has risen a little due to the air bags taking the strain off the torsion bars.
It used to sit flat but is now very slightly nose end down.
The rear suspension now feels like it is working as it should do.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
VB, AS, Glide right/lite......you’re all made of money you lot.

We use two of these.
Don’t feel a bloody thing.
I’ve fastened one onto a commode for the little one in the back. Saves us time on pi££ stops.

070F9BB1-EBC4-408B-BAA8-9F759FE405FB.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I am only just realising, like @Lenny HB that an Exsis 588 and presumably other similar layouts with twin beds and big garage puts all it's weight on the rear axle.
Problem with the Exsis due to the single floor the is the water tank is behind the read axle we also found with the small 100 Lt tank we always ended up carrying 2 x 20 Lt containers of water in the garage.
The DL we have now has the water tank central but not so important as we have 1300kg of payload with 500kg spare when fully loaded with full tanks and there is 400kg spare on the rear axle.

Aug 19, 2016
Wokingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Interesting thing is just had this done by GlideRite in Liphook and it is now £1100 including the vat for the bags, front gauge with independent inflation buttons and compressor fully fitted - have to say that is a bit more than some are quoting here!, BUT the sway has gone and so much easier to drive on an 05 Ducato X244 coachbullt

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Sorry, but how can something so simple as a replacement for the bumpstops stop the air displacement from a 40 ton lorry affect the ride of a big lump of motorhome?

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Sorry, but how can something so simple as a replacement for the bumpstops stop the air displacement from a 40 ton lorry affect the ride of a big lump of motorhome?
It doesn’t, it reduces the side to side swaying that results from the initial impact.
We feel ours getting effected when the lorry/coach goes past then after it becomes steady much quicker than it used to.

Aug 19, 2016
Wokingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
And you don't smack down onto the bump stops when you cant avoid the pot holes

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!