Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Swansea of course!!
Funster No
MH
none yet
Exp
0 but hoping lots to come
Hi folks will be buying a mh this year for some serious long terming. My wife is worried about
not seeing the grandkids (not the kids tho) So i suggested video phone calls via skype.
Only problem is my 3 dongle would cost the earth in mainland europe... any suggestions on how to make cheap internet connections in euroland pls
Peter

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Welcome to the site, quick answer to your question there isn't a cheap way, some are cheaper than others but they are all quiet expensive when compared to the UK rates that are obtainable.

The cheapest is McDonald's free Wifi, I believe there may be other places that offer free wifi, like some local Libraries and one or two of the major coffee chains and more recently I believe Ikea were offering free wifi access you just need to check around, also some of the hotel chains offer free wifi and on odd occasions you can pick it up near there perimeters.

Hope that helps

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi,

Welcome to the site, quick answer to your question there isn't a cheap way, some are cheaper than others but they are all quiet expensive when compared to the UK rates that are obtainable.

The cheapest is McDonald's free Wifi, I believe there may be other places that offer free wifi, like some local Libraries and one or two of the major coffee chains and more recently I believe Ikea were offering free wifi access you just need to check around, also some of the hotel chains offer free wifi and on odd occasions you can pick it up near there perimeters.

Hope that helps

Hi Peter

I agree with Baunston there is no cheap option we live in France we have a orange dongle just for the motorhome and for 15 euros a month on a 1 year contract we get 200 Mo (Mb) per month to be used 7 days a week in that month and a further 200 Mo (Mb) to be used at the weekend and national holidays only......THAT'S IT.....AND YOU CAN NOT USE SKYPE VIDEO OR MSN ...you can use skype chat only, surf the internet and emails ( Crap yes it is ) and all the telephone companies in France have a similar one all around the same price....(not like the UK) so for the cheapest way you would need something similar in all the countries you intend to go...or do a pay as you go in all countries....trouble is you get less and pay more.

And also what Mo's you do not use (that is if you have any left ) does not carry forward to the following month...thats a NO NO NO

Hope that is of some help to you, like Braunston info

Mel:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
Hi folks will be buying a mh this year for some serious long terming. My wife is worried about
not seeing the grandkids (not the kids tho) So i suggested video phone calls via skype.
Only problem is my 3 dongle would cost the earth in mainland europe... any suggestions on how to make cheap internet connections in euroland pls
Peter

I presume the family you are calling also has Skype then all your calls Skype -Skype are free anyway...just download Skype on both pc's give them your username and away you go...webcam and mike is all you need...Dave:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
So Skype works without an internet connection then?

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
When we first left the UK for Europe, we travelled to Spain for a few weeks holiday. We had no difficulty at all finding bars which gave free wifi. We were usually able to park within range of their router so that we could use their connection. As I have a UK VoIP telephone number it is very useful to be able to get within reach of wifi on a regular basis, but we had no problems.

In France the same applies. Apart from the usual McDonalds free wifi (all praise to McDonalds), many small bars have it, as well as a few hotels. Some of the major chains charge for wifi (they can be so mean!!:cry:), but I can honestly say that we never had a problem finding a free connection. And for urgent occasions, a pay facility is never far away.

But wifi dongles are a waste of time in France and Spain. They are only of use in major towns and cities. Coverage in the countryside is sparse. Where I live I consider myself fortunate to have a half meg connection via my landline! It is barely contended, though, because of the sparse population, so the performance is, in fact, very good.:Smile:

We use Skype all the time to communicate with family and friends all over the world. Almost as good as my VoIP line.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
just saw on tv re a guy who was ashed in in italy for 5 days , spent his time listening to uk radio through his dongle
I think the bill was £ 5,700 , might have been more

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back