Air suspension is there much difference in the ride , and any one fit then in Scotland (1 Viewer)

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Hi are these aux air suspension units any good I've heard they give a much smoother ride and less wind swaying ?? Is this true and anyone know a place in Scotland that will fit it , and a Thule bike rack .

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I had mine done by Dave Newell a few weeks ago. This is on a Sprinter 519 - it now sways a bit but no longer lurches and feels a lot happier on the road. I thought that it was well worth the money

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi are these aux air suspension units any good I've heard they give a much smoother ride and less wind swaying ?? Is this true and anyone know a place in Scotland that will fit it , and a Thule bike rack .
I can't help with fitters in Scotland, but we have had AS AirSuspension (Warrington) fitted to our last three motorhomes and happy to confirm there are numerous advantages including a more stable ride.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
On our Alko chassis with 2000kg rear axle it has made a useful improvement but we were on the limit of the 2000kg. We have less swaying and the rear suspension, now being assisted appears to work much better, no crashing and banging, it also used to squeak and that has stopped.
On our previous motorhome we had overly hard, less forgiving leaf springs, I think they were too stiff for the vehicle and don’t think we would have noticed any change, unless we’d fitted softer leaf springs. I think it’s down to if your current set up needs assistance or not, like sitting low or crashing over bumps.
Thumbs up for AS Suspension in Warrington that did ours.

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Had mine fitted by http://www.airide.co.uk/ in the car park at the PBoro MH show... mainly to get the uprate of max weight - but I agree the ride & handling has also improved.

Took the fitter about 45-60mins to fit [including time to book in the next slot for the van parked next to me]

The point is, you can buy the kit from a number of trustworthy sources and any competent mechanic should be able to fit it for you.
If you use the search function, there are threads by Funsters who have fitted it themselves.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
I'm 72 and I've just two weeks ago fitted air suspension to our MH. It took me about 4 hours and was not difficult at all to do and very few tools needed at all. Cost was just about £350.plus £30.00 for buying axle stands.
Much improved driving experience especially when being overtaken by HGVs
Ian

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Ive not long fitted the dunlop kit to a chausson 620 on a ford base..
It took me a couple days but that included the compressor gauges and wiring..the kit contained everything necessary..
So far id say the ride is stiffer..less body sway when cornering and less wobble when artics go by..
Still playing with pressures bur think it will becaround 2.5 to 3 bar for best results...
It will aso lift the back overhang a few inches when fully inflated which might be handy..

Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You don't say what chassis you are on but if it is an Al-Ko you can't get DIY kits for them. Depending which system you go for on an Al-Ko it will cost between £1500 to £2000.

OP
OP
Trout bum

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Thanks for all the info the chassis on my Adria is the Fiat camper one so hopefully kit should be available it sounds as if it's a better smoother ride and less swaying when being overtaken I'll have a look and suss out kit prices if I can't get it fitted in Scotland I will take it on myself .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You don't say what chassis you are on but if it is an Al-Ko you can't get DIY kits for them. Depending which system you go for on an Al-Ko it will cost between £1500 to £2000.

Adria Matrix M670SL

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks for all the info the chassis on my Adria is the Fiat camper one so hopefully kit should be available it sounds as if it's a better smoother ride and less swaying when being overtaken I'll have a look and suss out kit prices if I can't get it fitted in Scotland I will take it on myself .
Other side of the country but Roseilse do fitting. Not a recommendation, just came across them when looking for something else.
Broken Link Removed

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with

Hi again the kit I used does not even require you to undo the existing spring U bolts at all. The kit is called EasyTop,made in Italy,ordered online, cost including postage £330.
www.sospensionieasytop.it/en/catalogue/2~fiat.html
There is an installation video available on this link too.
Ian

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I paid nearly £5K for my AS system, barely notice any difference in the ride, but very useful for lifting rear end for ferries and steep site entrances

would I pay the same again, nope, not enough advantage, my Mercedes still rocks a lot from side to side on slightly uneven ground

not sure why you are looking to fit yours though

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I paid nearly £5K for my AS system, barely notice any difference I the ride, but very useful for lifting rear end for ferries and steep site entrances

would I pay the same again, nope, not enough advantage, my Mercedes still rocks a lot for side to side on slightly uneven ground

not sure why you are looking to fit yours though
Is that because the Merc is a soft ride to start with?
I'm finding my Maxi Al-Ko chassis a bone shaker and trying to talk the boss into spending the money

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Had VB Air suspension fitted on my last motorhome Burstner. Had it fitted at Turriff Caravans just above Aberdeen. They even let me camp in their yard with electric FOC for 2 nights. Really clean job, recommended.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I'm finding my Maxi Al-Ko chassis a bone shaker and trying to talk the boss into spending the money

possibly but only posting what we have found, the side to side rock on ours typically when moving from tarmac to grass on site is really quite violent on ours

edit now not sure if I have AS or VB o_O

it links to E + P and drops the air when jacks deployed if that helps

honestly I even despair at my own lack of knowledge, let alone memory (y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Precious van was Al-Ko chassis and a reasonable ride, then moved to a Fiat camper chassis and the ride was bone shaking, now on a sprinter and it was very wallowing until improved a bit by the air assist. Prefer the ride on the sprinter unless going over rough ground in which case you need seasick tablets

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I had full air put on my new Fiat with Alko chassis. Not cheap yet I cannot say that I noticed any improvement in the ride. Being able to level on site, or adjust the ride attitude is handy, though. If my van had been older, with aging suspension, I’d expect to notice an improvement because I’d be changing an old suspension system for a new one.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I'm finding my Maxi Al-Ko chassis a bone shaker
Isn’t that the consequence of having a maxi chassis on the lighter DL, you get a huge payload but for the suspension to work properly that payload would have to be utilised. Our last motorhome, with the Fiat Camper chassis, was always a smother ride when loaded to the gunnels. This one, on the 35 light Alko chassis, felt overloaded on the rear until air assist was fitted. It’s spot on now at 1.5bar, with the option to increase the pressure. Maybe rear full air is the best solution to yours.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
I was bitterly disappointed with the ride of our new van on the AlKo chassis. Even after faffing with tyre pressures I still wasn’t impressed so pressed the buy button on VB full air. Even the boss noticed the difference on the way back fron Doncaster. Not only has the ride been significantly improved, we have added flexibility of lifting the van to get it over the previous exhaust scraping entrance to storage and tilt to empty the tanks. It’s by no means perfect but worth the investment in my opinion.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Isn’t that the consequence of having a maxi chassis on the lighter DL, you get a huge payload but for the suspension to work properly that payload would have to be utilised. Our last motorhome, with the Fiat Camper chassis, was always a smother ride when loaded to the gunnels. This one, on the 35 light Alko chassis, felt overloaded on the rear until air assist was fitted. It’s spot on now at 1.5bar, with the option to increase the pressure. Maybe rear full air is the best solution to yours.
Possibly we are running about 3900kg, but last Monday we had a couple of adults plus their luggage probably about 4200kg. Went across country from Lydd in Kent to Gatwick and it was still a bone shaker. I don't think the Michelins tyres help even though I'm running at much lower than the recommended pressures.

Yes I'm looking at full rear air, I don't think I can persuade the boss to go for the front as well. She makes a tight Lenny look like a spend thrift.:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I was bitterly disappointed with the ride of our new van on the AlKo chassis. Even after faffing with tyre pressures I still wasn’t impressed so pressed the buy button on VB full air. Even the boss noticed the difference on the way back fron Doncaster. Not only has the ride been significantly improved, we have added flexibility of lifting the van to get it over the previous exhaust scraping entrance to storage and tilt to empty the tanks. It’s by no means perfect but worth the investment in my opinion.
Like it, Like it, that sounds good.
What van?

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Like it, Like it, that sounds good.
What van?

2016 Frankia i740 A class. 7.5m 4500kg. If you can justify it, full has to be the way to go. I felt a lot of the crashy ride came from the front.

OP
OP
Trout bum

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Yes it's an Adria Matrix 670sl 2016 model on a Fiat camper chassis the ride is ok but just heard that it's smoother with the rear air suspension fitted got to remember the chassis on motorhomes is always loaded due to furniture fittings tanks etc thought that the air suspension would help that part and take some of the strain off it x also if bikes on the back rack and all fishing gear in garage just thought it would give more assistance don't mean putting any more weight onto it just less pressures on the rear springs

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We would certainly have air-assisted rear suspension if we ever went back to a coachbuilt MH, it really DOES make quite a difference, even on a new MH - a lot less sway and roll especially when cornering and going around roundabouts and also when being passed by lorries/trucks etc or when it's windy. It also makes a much nicer ride too.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
2016 Frankia i740 A class. 7.5m 4500kg. If you can justify it, full has to be the way to go. I felt a lot of the crashy ride came from the front.
Would love to, but it really is expensive and can’t justify it. The air assist on the back is a decent compromise

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
I had it fitted by Towtal in Stoke to my 2000 Peugeot Boxer, what a difference! The first time I drove my motorhome on the M5 it was a butt clenching experience being buffeted by HGV's. Now it's a much more pleasant drive. On an older van I can highly recommend it. Cost was about £550 fitted.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Same size and weight as my Hymer, better start buttering her up & try and get her to let me spend 5 grand before I loose any more teeth.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Go on @Lenny HB, bite the bullet.
Our 4.5 tonne Carthago is on the ALKO heavy chassis and really used to crash at the front when hitting potholes.
Fitted full VB air and the front ‘crashing’ completely stopped. Still a bit from the rear, probably due to the high pressures in the Michelin’s, but it’s much better than before.
Much smoother ride although anyone prone to serious sea sickness could find the ‘floaty’ feeling a bit uncomfortable on some roads.
Directional stability much improved in cross winds and when passing trucks.

If you’re going to hang onto the van for a while it’s worth the cost..........and while you’re about it you might just as well fit E&P hydraulics as well. :D:D:D

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back