Motorhome Covers....good or bad? (1 Viewer)

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I have swung from gotta get one to nah and somewhere in between...:RollEyes:

I am going to Oz in October til Jan 11. My MH in not garaged(i guess like most peoples?)

It seems to a good breathable lightweight cover would be a good idea. Where a cheap and cheerful is only going to trap the moisture and give you damp.

What is people's experiences. Are they unecessary and weathering proofing you MH is the way forward or they a must when not in use over the wet and wind period aka September to Jun and sometmes July and August :cry:

Dave

scottie58

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
berks
Funster No
MH
A class
Our Hymer came with a cheaper lightweight, breathable cover - grey. It's a generic shape so loose on the corners. Keeps of the bird poo and muck from the trees nearby. When it rains it is slightly damp underneath on the roof section, but dry everywhere else. With practice i can now fit it myself in about 10 mins with the aid of a pole! Bulky to store when off.

OP
OP
Z

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I guess the key is that the cover should be waterproof and repel the water. But you pay big buck for that. So being breathable allows the the water to evaporate.

Anybody got any recommendations or ones to avoid?

Our Hymer came with a cheaper lightweight, breathable cover - grey. It's a generic shape so loose on the corners. Keeps of the bird poo and muck from the trees nearby. When it rains it is slightly damp underneath on the roof section, but dry everywhere else. With practice i can now fit it myself in about 10 mins with the aid of a pole! Bulky to store when off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
Fully breathable would be something like Goretex. £200 for a jacket. Motorhome cover = :Eeek:

There was a firm at the NEC earlier this year that sold breathable covers to fit specific Motorhomes off the shelf, but could also make them to measure. I did ask for a quote for the Auto Trail Comanche and they estimated around £500 which is not a lot of money to protect a £70k investment.

In my personal opinion, covers can be a lot of trouble if you use your vehicle on a regular basis. However, if you leave for extended periods of time I think giving them a bit of prep first e.g. overwintering using Fenwicks solution, and then putting on a cover would be a good idea. Bird lime can ruin paintwork as can the sap from trees.

You may need to spend a little bit of time preparing the vehicle before laying up and then again when you take off the cover and the overwintering treatment but well worth the effort I would think. :thumb:

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Had one for a caravan once, bit of a trial putting it on and off, not the sort of thing I would bother with on a Motorhome as its best to run frequently especially with aircon.
Despite being a good quality breathable cover, caravan was without doubt damper inside than the previous winter before cover was purchased.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
They do keep the crap off but one should cover any perspex windows or any surface likely to get rubbed with bubble wrap or clingfilm.

A Fiamma half cover is cost effective and easier to put on

Peter

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We have a breathable cover for our motorhome and use it to keep the van clean when not in use, but last winter we encountered a problem when we went to collect the vanat Christmas -- the cover had frozen to the roof (despite the van being under a dutch barn) and we had great trouble removing it!!!:Sad:

charlie24

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Maryburgh, Ross shire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
We bought a Protec cover and it was on the van all winter most of the time covered with snow. Emerged in March totally unscathed. Agree with comments on prep though but well worth the effort.
Not difficult to put on or take off and would thoroughly recommend the investment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back