CC or C&CC or ........ (1 Viewer)

fletch

Free Member
May 11, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
We were offered the opportunity of reducing our motorhome insurance premium by joining a motorhome affiliated club so we quickly opted to join the 'Caravan Club' which was paid for with the discount saved. This choice was for no other reason than that this was the one that we spontaneously thought of whilst talking to the insurance company.

Since though we have been reading lots about the Caravan & Camping Club which appears to offer far better deals on their club sites. I'm a bit .... about having to spend £37+ pounds on another membership, which I may 'just for this year' end up doing if it offers better value.

My question is, you've got £40 to join a club, which one offers better value over the others for us motorhomers? :Smile:

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
We were offered the opportunity of reducing our motorhome insurance premium by joining a motorhome affiliated club so we quickly opted to join the 'Caravan Club' which was paid for with the discount saved. This choice was for no other reason than that this was the one that we spontaneously thought of whilst talking to the insurance company.

Since though we have been reading lots about the Caravan & Camping Club which appears to offer far better deals on their club sites. I'm a bit .... about having to spend £37+ pounds on another membership, which I may 'just for this year' end up doing if it offers better value.

My question is, you've got £40 to join a club, which one offers better value over the others for us motorhomers? :Smile:

Hi Fletch,

Im a newbie and made a decision to join both for a year and see what use I got out of both of them. I know it doesnt answer your immediate question about better value, but I thought for my first year it would be worth paying the extra money, just to find out...

So far with both of them it would seem the places I wanted to go always seem to be 'booked up' the week or two before, or I need to stay a minimum of say 4/5 nights during bank holidays, which is little use to me cos I work for a living. I did managed to book a very nice place with the CC once though..

I do like though the ability to search for sites using both their databases and so does give me more choices... Im still reviewing but will probably find that by joining ill have probably saved £40 in the year for each club, the fee for joining.......

:RollEyes:

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
we are in both for nothing more than their cl/cs sites and the rally/holiday sites, and the only other service we have is the pet insurance for our dog through the caravan club

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
The same as Chatter - we are in both clubs for the CL/CS sites which offer extremely good value for money - we also have recovery with the RAC via C&CC - we find that seldom in do both clubs have CL/CS sites in any one area so to find a site where you want it you need both clubs - IMHO you more than get your money back on the savings you make if you use them carefully

Upvote 0

niblue

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C-class
Exp
We joined both clubs when we first got a motorhome and have been in both for years now. Not only are their sites always excellent but they also offer other useful services like bookings for overseas trips and cheaper recovery etc.

I've only use a CL/CS once so far, but do intend to use them more. The main club sites can be quite pricey but the CL/CS's are a bargain.

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
"Booked Up Pitches"

Hi

The Quote below:

"So far with both of them it would seem the places I wanted to go always seem to be 'booked up' the week or two before, or I need to stay a minimum of say 4/5 nights during bank holidays, which is little use to me cos I work for a living. I did managed to book a very nice place with the CC once though.."

You will find that this is a perennial problem.It is apparent (but denied by both clubs) that SOME members book site/pitches up as soon as they are released for the season. AND THEN DECIDE WHICH ONE THEY WILL GO TO a couple of days before the go. this applies to ALL bank holliday weekends AND Much of August.

I attended the Rowntree Park Site over Christmas. (2008) which was stated to be "Fully Booked" I have photographs Of my rig and one other in park with 16 other "Vacant Pitches"

The answer, which the Club(s) will not accept is to levy a Booking fee (Say£5) PER PITCH. this would deter some of these SELFISH people from denying pitches to the rest of the membership.

Pete

Upvote 0

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
So far with both of them it would seem the places I wanted to go always seem to be 'booked up' the week or two before, or I need to stay a minimum of say 4/5 nights during bank holidays, which is little use to me cos I work for a living. I did managed to book a very nice place with the CC once though..

:RollEyes:

Because the C&CC take a deposit, I find that their sites don't always book up well in advance, with some spaces available within the last week, BUT, once they are booked, they tend to remain booked.

With the CC, the general advice is to 'phone the site, rather than rely on the on-line booking system - as there often appears to be a pitch magically available if you do this. Also, the effect of the CC NOT charging a deposit is painfully obvious if you track the online booking system from the Thursday before the weekend, with 'cancellations' appearing all over the place, especially when the weather forecast is not too good. For short notice bookings with the CC, I tend to start looking online on the Thursday for these cancellations.

In summer, we generally find the best deal is to use C&CC Temporary Holiday Sites - most do not require booking, are cheap, and often in places where you would not easily find a conventional site.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
i occasionaly look at the CC for their site locations,
i have solar panels so dont need or want an electric hookup, the CC have a very limited number of non hook up pitches, but i have not found a single one that's not booked up for the entire year,

looking at the other pitches they are almost always fully booked,

i'm in the C&CC because they offer pitches with no hookups on all their sites, and they almost always seem to have room,

but i dont use the main sites that often, i use the CS network and the temporary holiday sites, plus i have the rac cover through the club which lifts the restrictions allowing my 4.5 ton, 7 meter long motorhome to be recovered, where normal rac cover stops at 3.5 tons and 5 meters.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm a member of both again for the CL's & CS's, CC has far more Cl's the C&CC is good if you go to forestry Commission sites as you get a 30% discount.

Upvote 0

sandyketton

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
South West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Eight years but ten years tugging in an earlier life
"We were offered the opportunity of reducing our motorhome insurance premium by joining a motorhome affiliated club "

I recently put my membership of Motorhome Fun down on an insurance form. It seemed to work OK.

Worth a go surely.

Sandy

Upvote 0

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
If you are over 55, the C&CC give discount in low and mid season. VMax

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We were offered the opportunity of reducing our motorhome insurance premium by joining a motorhome affiliated club :Smile:
well maybe you could have saved your money, MotorhomeFun is accepted as a club. sureterm even tell their customers to join and get a discount.

Upvote 0

eclaire

Free Member
Jul 24, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
We joined both when we had the caravan. We visited only one C and CC (Chichester) and found it so awful we never used the C anc CC again. Recently I have thought of joining again, but the big disadvantage for us is that you cant choose your own pitch. With the CC you can usually choose from what is available unless they dont want particular outfits ( eg motorhomes) on a certain pitch. Both seem to have lots of rules but most are OK. Depends a lot on the wardens - this is partly why we found Chichester so bad, they what was clearly a regular clientele of old fogies who appeared to be exempt from the rules - eg keeping dogs on leads. They also appeared very anti children (luckily we didnt have any children with us) but this may just be that site not the C and CC as a whole. Facilities are always good on club sites and there is good voltage on the hook ups. We use the CC sites a fair bit
claire:-}

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in my opinion the C&CC have a far more relaxed attitude to the 'sport' then the CC have.

but then what do you expect when the CC has a hierachy consisting of people with letters after their name.....MBE, OBE, DCM and of course, HRH Prince Philip as patron.

the C&CC hierachy seems to be made up of blokes in flat caps, woodbine tucked behind lughole and a whippet on a lead....only exception is that weirdy beardy David Bellamy as president, but i dont think he has letters after his name.

just my opinion and i'm a member of both.:thumb:

Upvote 0

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
Like many of the replies here we are in both clubs to give us the best choice of sites across the UK. But in answer to your question if I had to choose one club then it would be C&CC, and here's why.

1. C&CC Club sites seem more relaxed than CC sites, though CC facilities are consistently high standard whereas C&CC is a bit more hit & miss. But with facilities on-board do I really care? No.

2. As many have said already, the silly no deposit booking system that means the CC sites are fully booked months in advance, always better to turn up on the day as there is usually space unless it's a bank holiday weekend which makes planning a weekend away more difficult to a CC site. Easter weekend was a case in point, Sandringham fully booked so stayed next door with C&CC and counted 8 empty pitches on the CC site.

3. Yes you can choose your pitch with a CC site, assuming they are not fully booked - but all the pitches are the same. Row after row of hard standing with neat grass between which YOU MUSN'T PUT ANYTHING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Although C&CC allocate a pitch I have always found them very accomodating to my requirements and never had a 'bad' pitch. Even if I did I'm always moving on in a day or two so who cares if it's not the best pitch on the site.

Personally I prefer the CL / CS's most of the time and for me access to those is the real value of membership for us.

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
C&CC! We have been camping with them this weekend at a rally. Park where you like, just leave 20 feet, tow car no problem. There is also a fifth wheeler here, caravans obviously, some boys sailing down the Thames in a boat they built were in 7 tents with their teachers for a couple of nights, extra tents not a problem either. Previous experience with CC...... park next to your peg... regimented. We are members of the motorhome section of the C&CC too. The C&CC seem to be a more diverse group altogether. Good magazine too. :Smile: Jane

Upvote 0

Mangled

Free Member
Mar 11, 2010
Kent
Funster No
Exp
4 Years
C&CC! We have been camping with them this weekend at a rally. Park where you like, just leave 20 feet, tow car no problem. There is also a fifth wheeler here, caravans obviously, some boys sailing down the Thames in a boat they built were in 7 tents with their teachers for a couple of nights, extra tents not a problem either. Previous experience with CC...... park next to your peg... regimented. We are members of the motorhome section of the C&CC too. The C&CC seem to be a more diverse group altogether. Good magazine too. :Smile: Jane

Blimey that sounds better than the one I have just been too.I went to my first rally with the C&CC. I got told where to park and the rules that they came up with only seemed to apply if you were not in the "click". I lost it with one of the stewards when my 6 year old and 11 year old who were flying there kite (behind all the vans and no where near them where I could keep an eye on them) were told to take it into another field that had 400v overhead lines as kids were not allowed to play on the same field as the vans. To be truthful I will only be going to certified sites again.

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Mangled, I should avoid going with that DA again... they sound horrid. This was not our DA but the OXON group. Very friendly. Camped with the AVON DA before and they were lovely.
Do try again! Jane:Smile:

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We joined both last year for the first time. Used C&CC several times (hubby got age related discountfor being over 55!) didn't use CC once so this year have only joined C&CC. Find their sites good and the book lists non C&CC sites as well so worth having.

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think I am still possibly the only pperson in history to be blackballed from the CC.. My crime ? Complaining about all the spam mails I kept getting after repeatedly asking them to stop !!!!!

Just had a thought..

Would be rather nice of the main clubs to offer something like a one months membership ( at a higher cost that a per annum / 12 ) so peeps could try sites and get a feel for the club.

Cost could be 'refunded' agin a full 12 month subscription

Every one is a winner

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We'd sign up for that Jaws! - we like CL's so I suppose we'd like CS's too and a month would give us time to try a few here and there.

Upvote 0

andrewbargery

Free Member
Jun 7, 2010
Funster No
Hymer Tramp 654 SL

Hello
The picture accompanying your posting indicates that you own a Hymer Tramp 654 SL Gold Edition. I hope that is right, or I am wasting your time! I am thinking of buying just this motorhome (2009, 7000kms, LHD) from Germany and would really value your thoughts as a user, thoughts on price, residual, comfort in the seating area etc.
Could you email me at andrew.bargery@mac.com
Many thanks
Andrew

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back