Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 69
Exp
Im a newbie
This may have been covered before, but Im new to this...

My Arto 69 has a couple of small chips in window... no problem thats covered under my insurance.... Nice man from Euroglass turns up and fixes first chip... second chip... "ah thats a double hole and if I repair it it will almost certainly split.. you need a new screen"... hmm OK I know thats 100 excess but at least it wont affect my no claims...

Wrong... in the small print it says windscreens up to £2K... well belive it or not mine is £4K!!!... still at least its getting fixed for just the excess... dont know what my next premium will look like tho :-(

Next time i will certainly have a better look at the small print... only myself to blame

Hi Hum... no one said motor homes where cheap

Stu

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You are lucky you don't have a Flair, if it's not done yet you could give PSV glass a call.

Or just leave it and you never know you might change insurers;)

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I was driving the Van Bitz exhibition unit up to the NEC last February and my wife was driving our camper. When We arrived at the car park (Sorry Caravan & Motorhome campsite:ROFLMAO:) Lyn said that the screen was chipped

We called Autoglass and they said that they could get to us the following morning and yes they could do it in the NEC car park. An hour later it cracked right across

The screen cost over £9000 but to be fair to Aviva our excess was £150 and the three guys that came to our workshops to do it even refused a drink to say thank you

It can be expensive!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We had a claim of £2700 and next years premium only when up a few quid.

Alas car and bike insurance was not quite so tolerant

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
This may have been covered before, but Im new to this...

My Arto 69 has a couple of small chips in window... no problem thats covered under my insurance.... Nice man from Euroglass turns up and fixes first chip... second chip... "ah thats a double hole and if I repair it it will almost certainly split.. you need a new screen"... hmm OK I know thats 100 excess but at least it wont affect my no claims...

Wrong... in the small print it says windscreens up to £2K... well belive it or not mine is £4K!!!... still at least its getting fixed for just the excess... dont know what my next premium will look like tho :-(

Next time i will certainly have a better look at the small print... only myself to blame

Hi Hum... no one said motor homes where cheap

Wow! £4K. Which insurance company are you with? I’m certainly going to check the small print.

Stu

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
My Arto is insured with saga 100 GBP excess . If its not bothering your vision and is not an mot failure dont bother as you will most likely get another chip in the next couple of years any way. I went the same route as you 3 years ago and had the windscreen replaced but did not know that they use the same rubber surround and found a year later that water was entering under the rubber in the top left hand corner and running into the engine sound proofing and slowly dripping down the radiator , at first i thought it was a radiator leak but could not understand why no water was being used. Had to have it resealed in Spain the guy said they had done an bodge job on the new screen ( it was the Autoglass fitters from Bournemouth way who do the special screens)

OP
OP
arto stu

arto stu

Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Exp
Im a newbie
My Arto is insured with saga 100 GBP excess . If its not bothering your vision and is not an mot failure dont bother as you will most likely get another chip in the next couple of years any way. I went the same route as you 3 years ago and had the windscreen replaced but did not know that they use the same rubber surround and found a year later that water was entering under the rubber in the top left hand corner and running into the engine sound proofing and slowly dripping down the radiator , at first i thought it was a radiator leak but could not understand why no water was being used. Had to have it resealed in Spain the guy said they had done an bodge job on the new screen ( it was the Autoglass fitters from Bournemouth way who do the special screens)

My excess is the same... but it means I have had a claim... your comment re seal is interesting... the guy who came to do the chip looked at my seal and said they would re use it on the full screen... he said that a new seal on a big van screen was hard to fit properly out side of an oven... we will see... if i develop a radiator leak I will know where to look!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
your comment re seal is interesting... the guy who came to do the chip looked at my seal and said they would re use it on the full screen... he said that a new seal on a big van screen was hard to fit properly out side of an oven... we will see... if i develop a radiator leak I will know where to look!
They did the same with ours, including the leak:LOL: the water was coming inside at the bottom of the window but once I sealed around the top it was OK.

Martin

OP
OP
arto stu

arto stu

Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Exp
Im a newbie
What did u re seal with Martin? Sika 512 OK i have a tube ready :)

Stu

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We have a couple of chips in the windscreen of our flair, having them looked at next week, fingers crossed, we leave for Finland the following weekend !!
You are lucky you don't have a Flair, if it's not done yet you could give PSV glass a call.

Or just leave it and you never know you might change insurers;)

Martin
have

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Due to recently taking ownership of an A class ourselves and reading this thread and others, prompted me to contact PSV to enquire on the possible cost of replacement, mainly to check I have adequate cover in place with my current insurers (I currently have a £3,000 limit but will be taking heed to Richard's advice;)).

I received an immediate response from Richard Green of to my enquiry and with his consent the following is the advice received; I hope it will be of use to others and as recommended by @funflair, PSV will always be my first port of call if the need ever arises(y)

"Hi Christian

If you could send me a photo of the full front of the vehicle, I should be able to give you an accurate quote as of today but in honesty I always try to recommend that you opt for a policy with glass cover that has no claims limits.

As a best guess (not sat in front of my computer), £3k of cover is sufficient if you were in need of screen and your insurer allowed you to use us for replacement in the uk.

However, some insurers force you down an approved route and often the bill spirals! Equally, if you got in trouble needing a screen whilst on your in Europe, again the cost could be considerably more.

Being a little bias I would recommend you look for cover underwritten by ERS (Equity Red Star), they pose no upper claims limit and use us as their approved repairer. Check with your broker for suitable cover.

Glass claims don't normally effect your ncb, but policies with lower limits can be problematic for A class vehicles.

Good choice though on the carthago, lovely vehicle! Enjoy it, hope you never need us, but if you do, contact us first before you speak to your insurer. Our advice is always free of charge!

All the best....

Thanks

Richard Green"

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I was parked in Calais a few years ago and net to me was a Laika, spoke to the owner and he was fuming, he had cracked the windscreen ome months before and as he was insured he made a claim, the cover was sufficient and indeed the wheel were put in motion...
The issue was that the screen was custom made and as there were none in stock, one had to be made, they delivered from wherever in EU land and fitted.
So why was the Laika owner fuming?
Well according to him, the insurance company advised him that the cost of another windscreen and its fitting would be greater than the value of the van.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
My Knaus A class is in the Leeds depot of Autoglass having a new screen fitted as I sit here in Ikea killing time and typing this...

I’m on a F/t’rs policy with Comfort... Their max is £3000 for a screen and £75 excess..

I’m assuming my screen has come in under the 3k... and it’s a big’un...

May 28, 2016
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
since 2000
we have just returned from france speeking to a fellow owner he had just returned from spain his friends were stuck in spain their screen needed to be replaced they found they would have to wait two weeks or longer to get it replaced for their a class to come from france thought .........blimey hope they have the funds

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
got a small crack on my burstner aviano in france, luckily too small to be mot problem, but it brought to light the issues regarding A class windscreen cover( mine is max £1k and approved repairer only, else drops to £500) so now checking with other alternatives prior to renewal next month, any advice?

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
got a small crack on my burstner aviano in france, luckily too small to be mot problem, but it brought to light the issues regarding A class windscreen cover( mine is max £1k and approved repairer only, else drops to £500) so now checking with other alternatives prior to renewal next month, any advice?

@john lillie .... my only advice would be to shop around and specifically ask what the screen cover is...

I had “offers” that didn’t meet my requirements... i.e a new screen was a full claim... needless to say I declined those offers.... along with not being able to drive other cars with 3rd party cover etc...

Baring in mind ... my requirements where after reading other’s shocks on these forums... prior to me purchasing an A class..

Barky-Bill

Free Member
Jul 6, 2010
Leigh On Sea
Funster No
MH
ITINEO CD720 A Class
Exp
On and off all my life
Safeguard gives unlimited glass cover, costs a bit more than other insurers, but I'd rather know I was covered.

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
Tried comfort, the guy told me insurance cover for windscreens limited to £600! Waiting to hear back from safeguard

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Tried comfort, the guy told me insurance cover for windscreens limited to £600! Waiting to hear back from safeguard
Surprising! I'm with Comfort and my windscreen limit is stated at £3000. Does type of van affect this limit I wonder?

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Surprising! I'm with Comfort and my windscreen limit is stated at £3000. Does type of van affect this limit I wonder?
Likewise, as stated earlier in the thread mine is also sat at a £3,000 limit.

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
confused by responses re Comfort, I tried through compare the market website, I will try direct today...….

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
We’re with AIB, underwritten by Aviva.
Limit is £3000 :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
confused by responses re Comfort, I tried through compare the market website, I will try direct today...….
From Comfort's website.
upload_2018-6-5_11-4-43.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back