Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Got ourselves a couple of Saga Platinum (Visa) credit cards today
Reason 0% on foreign currency transfers / transactions

A guy was fitting some replacement glazing in our house the other day and we got talking about m/homes and foreign travel. He told us he used one of these as he got fed up of all the £1 & £1-50p on his card every time he used it abroad.

Rang Saga up confirmed it was 0% and did it over the phone, cards should arrive before we leave for the states:thumb:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Following the advice from Martin Lewis, I too recently got a Saga Platinum card, and intend to use it on our 16 day trip to France starting this Saturday.

Incidentally, when speaking to them about setting up internet management, I mentioned my trip to France and intention to use the card (for fuel etc) and was told they would make a record of that so that it did not show up as unusual use.

May be worth speaking to them before using the card abroad.

Steve

californiadreamer

Free Member
Oct 10, 2008
Funster No
no charge??

I was under the impression that it was Visa or Mastercard who make the charge per transaction.

Nationwide as the card provider do not charge but it is also a Visa card and it is Visa who make the charge.

It will probably be the same with Saga.. whichever card operator they use will make a charge for the transaction - not Saga themselves, as the card provider, but the card operator - ie Visa or Mastercard.

By all means please correct me if I'm wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
applied to restart my abbey/santander credit card a few days ago.
account lapsed due to lack of use and allegedly they wrote to me a year ago.....i never got the letter..

result.....not a chance mate.

my credit history is good so i cant think why it was refused ?

dpick

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
Middlesbrough
Funster No
account lapsed due to lack of use and allegedly they wrote to me a year ago.....i never got the letter..

You dont spend enough to make them happy.

dpick

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I was under the impression that it was Visa or Mastercard who make the charge per transaction.

Nationwide as the card provider do not charge but it is also a Visa card and it is Visa who make the charge.

It will probably be the same with Saga.. whichever card operator they use will make a charge for the transaction - not Saga themselves, as the card provider, but the card operator - ie Visa or Mastercard.

By all means please correct me if I'm wrong.

It may be worthwhile reading this link from the Martin Lewis forum regarding charges, or more particularly "loading" when using cards abroad.

Steve

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
You tempted me till I read about £2 (min) on each cash advance. Still might be worth it as a back up. Also owned by an Irish bank .Thanks for the info - what a useful forum this is

Introductory Rate is charged for the first nine months on purchases and Balance Transfers from the date the Account is opened. At the end of this period the Introductory Rate reverts to the Standard Interest Rate applicable to the product at the time. A Balance Transfer Fee of 3% applies.

†If you use your card to withdraw cash, you will benefit from an interest free period of up to 55 days if the balance is settled in full before the due date. After that, interest will be charged at 23.9% APR from the date that the transaction is debited to your account. There is a 2% Fee (minimum £2) for each cash advance, whether it is made abroad or in the UK.

Saga Personal Finance Limited is registered in England and Wales (Company No. 3023493) and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Saga Group Limited. Registered Office: Enbrook Park, Sandgate, Folkestone, Kent, CT20 3SE.

The Saga Platinum credit card is issued by Allied Irish Banks, p.l.c. Registered office: Bankcentre, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, Republic of Ireland. Registered in the Republic of Ireland: Registered No. 24173. Allied Irish Banks, p.l.c. is regulated by the Financial Regulator in the Republic of Ireland.

Apply online for a Saga Platinum credit card.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Just a note on the Abbey/Santander card, apparantly its the Zero one you need as the rest of them charge, so if you do already have one double check which one it is.

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Cancelled it today the paperwork work came and it was a £2 minimum charge per transaction, stick with what we've got.:Blush:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
renewal?

Hi papa John.

You have TOO good a credit rating in that if you pay your debts off (say monthly) your CREDIT rating actually goes DOWN.

The cynics would say you are not giving the banks etc; enough "interest" and they desperately need it to pay the next round on "bonus"s!!!!!

Or am I being Cynical?

The ZERO card works Ok too

Pete

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Got ourselves a couple of Saga Platinum (Visa) credit cards today
Reason 0% on foreign currency transfers / transactions

A guy was fitting some replacement glazing in our house the other day and we got talking about m/homes and foreign travel. He told us he used one of these as he got fed up of all the £1 & £1-50p on his card every time he used it abroad.

Rang Saga up confirmed it was 0% and did it over the phone, cards should arrive before we leave for the states:thumb:

Hi Ror and Jan,

Hope you are well.

Funnily enough I was looking at Saga insurance today for a new car...

They got a right slating on reviews on the insurance side...So It put me well off.:Doh:

Have a great time in the States.

Steve.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back