Free Member
Jan 7, 2009
Banffshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
2 year
Anybody thinking of taking their motorhome to Barra this year needs to read this:-
Link Removed
The smaller islands are also imposing restrictions on motorhomes and no doubt there will also be some in the larger islands. There is a letter on the subject in the latest Practical Motorhome I believe.

Tom</SPAN>

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Anybody thinking of taking their motorhome to Barra this year needs to read this:-
Link Removed
The smaller islands are also imposing restrictions on motorhomes and no doubt there will also be some in the larger islands. There is a letter on the subject in the latest Practical Motorhome I believe.

Tom</SPAN>

Fully understandable, thanks for the information ..

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Link Removed

Tom</SPAN>
Having fortunately toured the Outer Hebrides including a four day stay on Barra back in 2007, I am hardly surprised at this.

Barra is a very tiny island and simply not capable of taking large motorhomes, many of which when I was there often had no more than two people. By far the most popular area to stay was on the Traigh Mhor beach by Barra Airport, one of the places now strictly off limits. I never cooked one meal while there as I used the Airport Cafe each day for both breakfasts and evening meals. They served excellent meals too.

It's a shame that the powers that be have chosen to close this area to motorhomes and campervans but I think the majority have been their own worst enemies. Whilst I stayed there not one person from any of the motorhomes made use of the Airport Cafe, other than to top up their fresh water supply. So they gave virtually nothing to the economy of Barra.....but willingly took whatever was free.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

niblue

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C-class
Exp
We visited the western isles last year, starting in Barra and working our way up to Lewis. Barra was probably the most problematic area as it's quite a small island and there is no real provision for motorhomes (or other campers) other than a waste disposal point and a couple of taps. Having said that however I didn't see any particular signs of waste or litter being dumped indiscriminately or of a serious erosion problem at the most popular site near the airport. I did recall thinking that it'd be a perfect site for an official campsite in fact, as I'm sure the local authorities etc. could turn a reasonable profit from a small additional investment in facilities and staffing.

original.jpg

We did use the cafe at the airport and it also seemed to be getting used a fair bit by other people camping there.

Once off Barra and onto the larger islands there didn't seem to be a particularily heavily proliferation of motorhomes or other campers, other than at locations like Hergebost on Harris (which we didn't stay at) and when we did wild camp we were always the only motorhome there.

original.jpg

115437625]original.jpg

original.jpg

(The blue bags are just covers over our petrol cans, not rubbish!)

original.jpg

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi We also toured the outer hebrides last easter stayed 1 night at airport and had lunch in cafe we also stayed a night in Vatersy which had an honesty box and a sign asking for £4 we where the 4th motorhome/camper to arrive and when we opened the box to put the money in the box was empty so much for being an honesty box. So maybe if people did things like this they might have put an honesty box at the airport. During our tour we also stopped at a few local place and bought things like flakey smoked salmond and black pudding again if everyone did things like this they would welcome motorhomes with open arms.

Gerry

P.S
Niblue love the pics we stopped at everyone of the places in your pics.

niblue

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C-class
Exp
The flaky smoked salmon is highly recommended. I just bought some more on Friday as the farm shop at the Westmoreland Services on the M6 sells it. Yumm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back