Fight back against facebook (even if you aren't signed in). (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I have no concerns at all about Facebook and my privacy.

Whilst I have no doubts that they can and do collect info, I also believe that Facebook isn't clever enough to make any worthwhile use of said info.

For example, nearly all 'The People You May Know' that pop up on my timeline are on the other side of the world, mainly black or Asian women (!?).. mostly using a language I don't recognize... The adverts, mostly for goods for sale in the USA.

They even think the village I live in is in Norfolk, it's in Suffolk..

So they can collect all the data they want.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Be careful with humour like that, people may take it seriously on a thread like this :p

I read it as a critical review .. if you don't agree then can you explain why.

Calling it humour is deriding it and without explanation is pointless.

How long have you been using it.. can you explain how you think it works and give a detailed review with the pros and cons and how to fix sites that it breaks.. Have you never had it break sites?

How to fix sites broken by Privacy Badger https://github.com/EFForg/privacybadger/blob/master/doc/fixing-broken-sites.md

It's not about "fighting back against FB" ..

it's a browser extension that may cause problems for those less well informed..

https://tpapp.github.io/post/privacy-badger/

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Look on Facebook, I can time travel..

easter.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have no concerns at all about Facebook and my privacy.

Whilst I have no doubts that they can and do collect info, I also believe that Facebook isn't clever enough to make any worthwhile use of said info.

For example, nearly all 'The People You May Know' that pop up on my timeline are on the other side of the world, mainly black or Asian women (!?).. mostly using a language I don't recognize... The adverts, mostly for goods for sale in the USA.

They even think the village I live in is in Norfolk, it's in Suffolk..

So they can collect all the data they want.

I suggest you do some research. :rolleyes:

What you see on the front end, i.e. your page, is not how Facebook, and other sites come to that, make use of your data. Having to maintain that front end is almost an inconvenience to them and what appears on it is irrelevant.

Data collection is a multi-billion dollar industry and Facebook is at the forefront. It's what's made the company as big as it is and the founders so rich. Probably the only company ahead of Facebook on this is Google and that's only because Google is everywhere.

When you register you have to provide at least a minimal amount of personal information. This is collected.

Then you may look at certain pages for subjects that interest you. This type of page and subject is noted.

You might click links to external sites. The type of site is noted.

That's just a few of the most basic ways that information about you is collected. There are many many others.

All this information is then sold on. Advertisers will pay a lot for personal data that enables them to target advertising.

That's the business model for all social media websites. The operators couldn't care less what you had for breakfast or about the kitten video you posted. They do however care that you subscribe to 8 motorhome pages and 2 about Game of Thrones and that you've clicked external links to sites selling expensive shoes and a football fan page. That's the information that makes them money.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Privacy badger ... facebook ... as above. If you want privacy don't use social media.

As Jim says it's not just social media.

You also have to avoid anything in anyway connected with Google. So that's the search engine, Gmail, Youtube just for starters.

If you only use a server based email provider instead of a web based one and you can find a search engine that doesn't track you're part of the way there.

Then you need to avoid any website that tracks or hosts advertising that tracks. That's pretty much all the well known ones you can think of.

You might be getting somewhere by that point. There would still be more to do but I'm sure you're getting the idea.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I read it as a critical review .. if you don't agree then can you explain why.

Calling it humour is deriding it and without explanation is pointless.
Ok. That is weird. I just went back and it is now a review article.

When I went initially it was a fake "Your browser/tabs" have crashed, would you like to reload"... I knew instantly it was fake because it was windows and I am on linux.

PS: it was the site that served it not some malware. I am clean and use noscript so the image was definately loaded from there.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
If you valued you privacy you wouldn't be on here!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Google, Facebook, they can collect all the data they want from my visits there, and elsewhere, and target me with whatever ads they want, it doesn't bother me in the slightest when I can choose to view or ignore what I like. If I was 20 with a lifetime ahead of me it may matter but not at my age.

munkey_bwy

Free Member
May 17, 2018
Holbeach
Funster No
MH
Rapid 690 low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I left faceFace years ago, it's the best thing I ever did online.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Huh? Jim doesn't track you across the Internet?

The inference is perhaps that many on here tell everyone everything - where they are, what they are having for their dinner etc - sometimes with photos of it too! Lol.- privacy? :)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The inference is perhaps that many on here tell everyone everything - where they are, what they are having for their dinner etc - sometimes with photos of it too! Lol.- privacy? :)
ok, but that is a personal choice. Facebooks privacy invasion is irrespective of whether you are careful about what you say or not.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Someone I know was searching Google for info one night & ended up with a link to Motorhome Fun to a specific thread, I had commented on that thread, he thought it was me & rang to take the p*&s because I was on a Motorhome forum :LOL::LOL: there's privacy:whistle:

Apr 7, 2018
Mostly Sussex and Hampshire
Funster No
Exp
I guess I qualify as a newbie.
Anybody who thinks Facebook is just about collecting data to sell to advertisers is deluding themselves... it goes much deeper than that. It was originally set up by the CIA as a spy network and tracks people even if they don't use it.

Mark Zuckerberg is just the friendly front man to sell it to the people but is related to the Rockefellers; I believe he is David Rockefeller's grandson.

I don't have documentary evidence to hand but will post it here when it comes my way if anybody's interested.

In the meantime, be very wary of FaceAche, the antisocial media.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Anybody who thinks Facebook is just about collecting data to sell to advertisers is deluding themselves... it goes much deeper than that. It was originally set up by the CIA as a spy network and tracks people even if they don't use it.

Mark Zuckerberg is just the friendly front man to sell it to the people but is related to the Rockefellers; I believe he is David Rockefeller's grandson.

I don't have documentary evidence to hand but will post it here when it comes my way if anybody's interested.

In the meantime, be very wary of FaceAche, the antisocial media.
How do you track over two billion active users?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
“Infamy, infamy, they’ve all got it in for me”

I do use FB, a little, to keep up with friends and I also have a YouTube channel. I even, now and again, have a peek at Twitter.
Is there any hope for me? :(:(

Richard.

Apr 7, 2018
Mostly Sussex and Hampshire
Funster No
Exp
I guess I qualify as a newbie.
@ LesW,

They have acres of computers, dedicated to nothing but collecting data...

Naturally you won't learn these at school, nor via the BBC.

I'll keep an eye out for more info but knew about this years ago - nobody wanted to know... so the links I had to it may not be easy to find...

And general apologies, I can be blunt sometimes...

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
DuckDuckGo will get you part way there (y)

There's lots of ways to get there but none of them are as simple as just changing to a different browser.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I use facebook to keep mainly (in fact exclusively) to keep in touch with old friends from my time in the Navy and in industry.

I am 75 years old - I have yet to respond to any advert on facebook or any"offer" that facebook thinks I might like and I am unlikely to do so ever!!

So what harm (if any) is it doing me??

Genuine query so please answer if you can :)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
There's a subtle difference between using social media and browsing in general.
The thing is ... most of us just don't care. Why should we.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
@ LesW,

They have acres of computers, dedicated to nothing but collecting data...

Naturally you won't learn these at school, nor via the BBC.

I'll keep an eye out for more info but knew about this years ago - nobody wanted to know... so the links I had to it may not be easy to find...

And general apologies, I can be blunt sometimes...
I have no doubt that they are capable of collecting huge amounts of data... but so what? What do people think will happen even if Facebook/Google where clever enough to separate the wheat from the chaff?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back