turns out that I can't drive :( (1 Viewer)

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
50 miles on a new motorhome, and destroyed my o/s side mirror on an oncoming builders van, not good, confidence firmly knocked, not impressed with myself. Road was narrow, I knew it, could have gone another way home, was in the works traffic too. Might take some time to gain confidence back. Daft question, but other than just driving it, is there any particular practice thats worthwhile to start judging the size (mainly width) of the van ?

Thanks

Paul

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
On narrow roads SLOW DOWN and drive in the middle...... Oncoming drivers WILL STOP, even builders and buses.
Sound advice! (y)

When the road is narrow, you just have to be assertive, go in the middle and, as pappajohn says, the oncoming driver will slow down and stop.

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
if it any consolation i smashed a mirror on a 7.5 truck the other day when i miss judged it can hapen to any one
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I drive a pilote A class which is 2.3m wide it has coach type mirrors that takes the width to 2.7m. when I first got it it was a bit squeaky bum time, our previous van was a PVC. As previously said, take your time, as for positioning, I have a round small sticker fixed low down on the windscreen, I use this in relationship to the kerb / edge of the road which helps, I also have these reflective chevrons on the mirrors.
20180516_193607.jpg

Attachments

• 20171113_113011.jpg
    20171113_113011.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Golly, ouch !!

Like the idea of the sticker on the windscreen for curb positioning :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Getting to the interior bolts for the mirror doesn’t look much fun. I have the Remis cab blinds and there’s no visible fixings on them, I’m guessing that this needs to come off first ?
Does anyone know how this is done ?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
I did exactly the same when we bought our moho and was an hgv driver at the time so I was used to driving large vehicles. I replaced the Fiat long arm mirrors with medium arm mirrors and have not had a problem since.

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I always take extra care when there is an oncoming van that has it's mirrors at the same height as mine. Lorries are generally higher and cars are lower.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I cannot remember how I took off my last mirror but it actually turned out to be much simpler than expected but I did not have a Remis fitted then. I think a plastic cover came off to reveal the bolts and screws.
Wingmirrorman is a good place to look for buying a mirror.
If it looks as if the Remis must come off, beware... replacement parts are hard to get.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
On narrow roads when encountering large oncoming vehicles, I have regularly pulled almost to stop wound the window down and pulled in the O/S mirror till the bus, lorry etc passes.

Takes a few seconds but has saved some very close encounters.

We have a long van (8M) and I have just remodelled the rear off side quarter by forgetting the length of my overhang - having reversed and pulled forward with turning, the overhang swung over and swiped a parked car...Grr... Have been driving large bvehicles and motorhomes for a number of years, but hey... we are imperfect people in an imperfect world.. Just off to chase the insurers now (y)

Upvote 0
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Confidence comes with practice so get get back in there and drive. Experience has taught me to go a few miles extra and avoid narrow roads if I can.
I use a hill on a regular basis which is narrow in parts , if I see a large vehicle approaching I will stop and wait for it to pass.
I have had my mirror hit on this hill but the white van who hit it came off worse .
I've had this van for 3 years now and it's almost 8mtrs in length , I have to reverse into an awkward corner space where I store my van with vans either side of me and infront of me . When I first got it I would fret a few days before I had to return it to storage thinking about reversing it. Experience has given me the confidence to reverse fairly quickly into a tight spot. I still get out and look if it doesn't feel right just to see if everything's ok.
Don't be hurried by anyone , take your time , deep breath and enjoy. Time will give you the experience but even then there will be some hairy moments .
I have a C1 as my car and prefer to reverse the van over the car.
As you can see from the feedback you have received , we have all at times experienced some white knuckle experiences.
Enjoy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
It’s so easily done, I did it myself, following week I bought and fitted mirror and headlight protectors.

I considered and may well still get a lesson at a local driving school that teaches HGV, PSV, Motorbikes and cars, but my confidence has improved as time has passed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Hey, the headlight protector idea is a good one, I’d forgot about that, I reckon the stylish headlights on the new Ducato are not cheap !

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Surely driving in the middle on a narrow road isn't a good idea?
If its not wide enough for two vehicles to pass without slowing its not going to make much of a difference , speed related to range of visibility is the key . I drive defensively but at times to command the road , it prevents the problem of someone whose spatial awareness isnt that good wrongly thinking they will just squeeze thru :)

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
This was me inourPVC a couple of years ago in Devon skip to 1:30 scuffed nearside mirror on that bloody wall:doh: if the d*ck head in the dark blue VW had reversed there wouldn't have been a problem.

Upvote 0

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
I know that many won't agree, but it may be worth considering the course run by the Institute of Advanced Motorists. It's (relatively) inexpensive, teaches a system that improves safety in any vehicle, and is fun. It's not specifically for motor homes, but as a road safety organisation the things they teach are applicable to all.

It's just a thought, which you are welcome to dismiss/accept/ignore as you wish.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This was me inourPVC a couple of years ago in Devon skip to 1:30 scuffed nearside mirror on that bloody wall:doh: if the d*ck head in the dark blue VW had reversed there wouldn't have been a problem.

Why didn't you stop and gesticulate for him to move backwards ... no way would I have risked damaging my MH ... I'd just have stayed there until he got the message!

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.

I'd be pretty angry at the fly-tipper who left that washing machine in the road.

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2018
Mostly Sussex and Hampshire
Funster No
Exp
I guess I qualify as a newbie.
I too always put my lights on when on the move, actually so that I can see everything on the dashboard but it does highlight the boundaries of my MH to other drivers.

Shit happens, as somebody has already pointed out... dust yourself down and give yourself a hug - we've all been there.

My advice might be a bit different from everybody else so far... but on the basis of: -

"Never hesitate to give advice because the ability to ignore it is universal."

Before you fire up your engine, take a few seconds to close your eyes, take a few deep breaths and then visualize yourself reaching your destination "intact", with grace and ease. Feel grateful that you are always safe and divinely protected.

In moments of doubt as you are travelling, affirm out loud "My van/MH and I are always totally safe and divinely protected."

Before anybody shoots the messenger, namely me, try it sincerely and see what happens.

Be realistic and expect a miracle! (y)

Upvote 0

Binkydefish

Free Member
May 29, 2017
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
I am a newbie
It is a nightmare to judge but back in the saddle and you will soon gauge it like a car. Roads can creep up on you so just slow or turn if unsure. Don't lose confidence as we all have knocks in cars and vans and the benefits far outweigh the repairs.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
In moments of doubt as you are travelling, affirm out loud "My van/MH and I are always totally safe and divinely protected."

Or..........

And He sayeth unto them: 'Relax and be happy, things could always be worse.
And they relaxed and were happy, and things did get worse.
------------
IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....................

You are obviously not fully aware of the seriousness of the situation.

Upvote 0

CampingSteve

Free Member
Jun 7, 2018
Funster No
It’s a really good idea to get some fluorescent vinyl rap and stick it on the mirror casing, it only costs a few pence. I used to put it on my truck, works a treat. Don’t beat yourself up about it. Practice, practice, practice. Good luck and enjoy your motorhome.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back